• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Chattanooga TN

MRdobb

Hi all,

This is my first post here I figured I would share my eventful Monday with my bobbed 2.5 ton. To start I am from Chattanooga and specialize in hydro electric turbines. I am working in Jefferson City TN, it's about 30 min north of Knoxville. I met a guy in Knox yesterday to pick up my bobbed deuce. Trucks a 1967 m35a2 with a multi fuel contential with a whistler turbo and I got title with the truck. I started my journey on I40 headed north and lost my brakes I safely made it off the interstate and got the truck on the side of the road. I checked the resivior and empty... I filled it up and bled the brakes. I went ahead and checked fluid levels on everything else and all was good. I continued on my journey, I decided to take a more scenic route instead of I40. Truck was running a bit sluggish and the exhaust would backfire when I got in the throttle heavy. I was running straight diesel. I stopped to check on the truck I had a solid feeling that something was wrong with the turbo. The turbo was really hot so I stopped to let it cool off the truck started rolling white smoke. I continued on my journey when I should have stopped. I made it about 10 miles down the road when the engine revved wide open and started blowing flames out of the stack. In my attempts to make it safely off the road the engine bay caught a flash fire at the turbo. I stopped and extinguished the fire. Only damage caused by the fire was some charred starter wires. The turbo was glowing orange at this point. Now my truck sits on the side of the road and I need to get it to Chattanooga. Well that was my Monday.

Would bolting in ga new turbo up solve the issue? I hope nothing from the turbo went into the intake. Has anyone had experience with transporting a deuce about 200 miles? I figured with it being bobbed and the m105 bed it weighs in at 9600lbs?

Rmtaunton

wow . welcome and sorry about your recovery! there is definately a heat problem, could be fuel turned up wayyyyyy to much or restricted turbo, also what caused fire was it the oil line next to turbo? Others here I am sure have had a similiar issue and assume someone will chime in quickly to help out.

Good luck
R

FloridaAKM

I am by far, no expert on your truck problems, but it sounds like you lost oil to the turbo & that your fuel might have been turned to high for the conditions you were running in. I'll let others who are more experianced try to help you with your problem. Good luck with getting her home!

MRdobb

I believe some fuel dropped on the cherry red turbo and caused the ignition. I am not exactly sure to be honest. I do know oil was blowing through the exhaust when I finally for her to shut down.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rev'ing wide open and blowing flames indicates (to me) that your turbo has lost a seal and engine oil was being blown into the engine. Checking engine oil level will verify if it is low. Engine oil leaking out of the turbo fed the turbo fire.

BBQROD

Once you get your truck put back together go to http://auberins.com and get a pyrometer you can see when hot is hot. This gauge is a must when fuel adjustment is necessary.

1 x Digital EGT Gauge with TC-KEGT Probe (Combo-EGT) = $94.00
Power Voltage Option 24V DC
LED Color Option Green
Mounting Type Option Weld-in carbon

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Marietta, GA
Yes turbo lost a seal and resulted in a runaway. (Been there done that.....)
Keep us posted, hopefully no parts got into the engine.

MRdobb

I am having the truck towed back to Chattanooga tomorrow morning. In the hectic past couple of days I managed to buy 3 more m35a2s. Hopefully I will have the truck back up and running within a couple of weeks. Work seems to take over my play time. Thanks for all of the help!

Another Ahab

I am having the truck towed back to Chattanooga tomorrow morning. In the hectic past couple of days I managed to buy 3 more m35a2s. Hopefully I will have the truck back up and running within a couple of weeks. Work seems to take over my play time. Thanks for all of the help!
Brother, you might be a Twelve-Step natural.

But there's no Jones like the Green Jones (hair of the dog):

addictionchocolate.jpg

Last edited: