• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, from Kansas 1097R1 owner

Rdehaan85

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First time posting on a forum so bare with me. Just recently purchased a 1097R1 from govplanet. Had repac in 2015. 2 door with troop seats in back. I was in the military for awhile (2003-2009) and it has a few things on it I dont remember. First off it has a ratcheting spare tire holder on the back with a new tire and rim on it (dont know how old the tire is but it still has the tits on it). Ive tried to find info on the spare tire holder and I cannot locate anything. It also has some sort of a mount on the side that ive never seen. Maybe a tow bar mount? I really dont know where to start on maintenance after purchase. It needs new batteries, we did jump it with slave cables and I drove it around the yard before loading it on the trailer. Reverse worked, no leaks and thats about all I checked out. I was in artillery so we just drove the piss out of them and handed them off to the maintenance guys. End goal for this purchase is a 4 seater with soft top and hard doors. I also bought three GMTKs along with the Hmmwv.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
First time posting on a forum so bare with me. Just recently purchased a 1097R1 from govplanet. Had repac in 2015. 2 door with troop seats in back. I was in the military for awhile (2003-2009) and it has a few things on it I dont remember. First off it has a ratcheting spare tire holder on the back with a new tire and rim on it (dont know how old the tire is but it still has the tits on it). Ive tried to find info on the spare tire holder and I cannot locate anything. It also has some sort of a mount on the side that ive never seen. Maybe a tow bar mount? I really dont know where to start on maintenance after purchase. It needs new batteries, we did jump it with slave cables and I drove it around the yard before loading it on the trailer. Reverse worked, no leaks and thats about all I checked out. I was in artillery so we just drove the piss out of them and handed them off to the maintenance guys. End goal for this purchase is a 4 seater with soft top and hard doors. I also bought three GMTKs along with the Hmmwv.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Yeah, well. Those days are over. Now YOU get to be the maintenance guy. Might even make you drive her a little more gingerly too... It is an adventure though!

Whip out your computer and download a few TM's to learn more about your new-to-you truck. Really, those might be the most boring books in the world - but knowing how you really should start that vehicle will save you money!

Reading is Cheap

Parts are Expensive

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures of the spare tire holder and the brackets on the side will probably get you a lot more info than just the short description.

There are a couple different versions of the spare tire mount, but they aren't terribly uncommon.

The mount on the side could be anything from CIPS to radio mast mount; so definitely need pictures. I've never heard of a mount on the outside for a tow bar, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

If it's the truck in your profile picture, you'll want to use M1097A1 when looking things up in the manuals. The 1097R1s are converted/upgraded trucks of other variants, converted to heavy variant in case they needed to get armored. There are both A1 and A2 versions of the truck, but all have R1 at the end, and serial numbers way outside anything else. More than a few people have had questions about what truck generation they actually are, so I thought I'd toss that out there to make life a little simpler.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the first things you want to do is change all fluids and filters, it is cheap insurance!
Inspect all the half shafts, the boots as well as the inboard bolts, all the steering and suspension components for correct/tight fasteners
If you plan on driving it on the highway you will likely need to replace the tires depending on how old and what condition they are in.
That is a RHINO tire carrier and they have been commanding big bucks lately.
You may have a GEP engine which is good news, will say General Engine Products on the driver side valve cover.
It looks like a nice rig, please post some more pictures!!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ab 1386u / qbeam mount.

Google and a tm is available on radio nerds that can not be posted here due to distribution code.

very few have a very large mast that folds horizontally and then stands up as a telescoping antenna but it does not look like others I have seen on the side of shelter carriers.

Does it have a 400 amp alt and lots of cables and holes/brackets by the dog house? You have a comms truck.

Post more pics or a link to the auction.

Last edited:

Rdehaan85

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ab 1386u / qbeam mount.

Google and a tm is available on radio nerds that can not be posted here due to distribution code.

very few have a very large mast that folds horizontally and then stands up as a telescoping antenna but it does not look like others I have seen on the side of shelter carriers.

Does it have a 400 amp alt and lots of cables and holes/brackets by the dog house? You have a comms truck.

Post more pics or a link to the auction.
Hell I don’t know but I will check. Thank you

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Rhino tire carrier, That's a BIG plus. Deal le oh on the on the side is the deal le oh... I have no idea. Not the antenna support gizmo that I have seen before. If it is ??? it is missing a large bracket down by the bumper.

Extra parts for sure, CAMO

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
see these pdf's as it will give you a better idea of what the gizmo looked like erected and then stowed- Ab1386u on a hmmwv
Likely is the mast support, missing parts with a antenna bracket added in an unlikely place. A little weird to see it configured as a troop carrier ???

If it was all there, that would be a keeper too, CAMO

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, not the set up seen with these ususally but anything is possible.

Could have been a comms truck then repurposed.

Beltfed on epay normally has the other stuff missing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks