• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from North Carolina

Rjkonrad

tires 100.jpgtires 101.jpgtires 098.jpgtires 097.jpgtires 096.jpgtires 100.jpgtires 101.jpgtires 098.jpgtires 097.jpgtires 096.jpgHi from Camp Lejeune NC. The truck came from Raleigh. Im a MT Mech in the Marines and just thought it would be fun to have an old piece of MT equipment. I had to have the injection pump rebuild because it was dumping fuel into the oil and had all the injectors cleaned and set at 2800 and she starts, runs and drive great.

I have found a bunch of information on this site and have spent many hours at work looking at this site; against the officers wishes.

Just one question. Why is third gear a pain? I have a really hard time shifting to and and down in either low or high.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you double clutching when your shifting? I have driven a lot of different Deuces and through the years have just got inot the habit of double clutching both up and down, some it seemed the truck liked me doing that a LOT better others did not seem to care but over the years it just became an automatic habit, have never had a problem using this method on any of them. If that doesnt help you may have some other issues possibly with the synchros in that gear?
Good luck
KK

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky, thank you for your service and stay close, we may need to pick your brain.
JC

Rjkonrad

Are you double clutching when your shifting? I have driven a lot of different Deuces and through the years have just got inot the habit of double clutching both up and down, some it seemed the truck liked me doing that a LOT better others did not seem to care but over the years it just became an automatic habit, have never had a problem using this method on any of them. If that doesnt help you may have some other issues possibly with the synchros in that gear?
Good luck
KK
Yeah I've tried all kinds of different ways to get it into third. Sometimes it goes in and others it just wont. I'm with you on the synchros.

Skinny

Greetings

Nice ride!

I'm about an hour south of you in Wilmington. Give a holler when you want to go burn some diesel fuel.

bchauvette

Double clutching explained, See motto below.

When shifting a transmission up or down the mating gears need to be turning at the same rate. In modern day vehicles this is accomplished by syncros (synchronizes). The resistance you feel when shifting are the syncros doing its job. The heavier duty the transmission the bigger gear clusters then the more the syncros have to work, the more resistance when shifting. Back in the day i.e. 1920's and 1930's heavier trucks did not have syncros, you had to double clutch. Up-shifting is a breeze run up in 1st gear shift to neutral let clutch out push clutch then shift to second. subsequent gears are the same procedure. Down shifting requires a little talent and experience. Shift out of gear ,4th for example, into neutral, let clutch out, blip accelerator proportional to the rpm your where at when shifting out (what the heck is he talking about) , shift into 3rd. A little practice will make you an ace It is possible on occasion to get totally befuddled (actual technical term also called shiftnosis) and you have to completely stop and start over again on non syncro vehicals. When you see and hear a semi coasting to a stop while making a terrible grinding noise that's what happened. Note, most semis are fully syncro'ed these days.

Snycros do wear out and it makes more and more difficult to shift. They can totally fail and you have to double clutch to shift. I advocate all deuces and up always double clutch. Save wear and tear and it is so macho. An excellent bar pickup line "Wana come out to my semi and watch me double clutch""

IMG_1319.jpg This is my 1936 1-1/2 ton Ford panel truck. My only means of transportation junior an senior high school years 1967-1968. Non syncro "Hard gear".

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Welcome! I am just down the road from you in Newport, NC. Next time you go to MCAS Cherry Point, you will drive pass my house. If you are ever in the area stop by I have about 15 vehicles here (did a bunch of downsizing from 35), from armored halftracks on down to WWII motorcycles.
Again welcome!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Skinny

Hi Skinny! I am in Concord NC. We need to put together our own Rally soon!!
I would be down for that. I never need an excuse to take the M1031 for a ride. Should we start a thread for a local meet and greet? Bonus if we could get the trucks out for some low range action.

Skinny

Ideas for a meet and greet ride...

In my neck of the woods - Wilmington
-drive down to Wrightsville Beach
-head to Carolina Beach and get out on the sand ($20 daily permit pass required)
-go to Fort Fisher
-up to Holly Shelter to do some shooting

Anyone with more ideas or different locations chime in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks