• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Oklahoma

HeisenBob

Hi, my name is Robert...and I'm addicted to trucks. My wife says I browse craiglist and autotrader too much. So I've come here for support. In truth, I've been looking to purchase a 1/2 truck for general towing and hauling. However, I don't want to break the bank and I've had trouble pulling the trigger. I happened to have inherited an M1009 and it appears unmolested. If I can get it running, I'm thinking of using it handle my towing needs. I have a small lawnmower trailer and also a 16' car hauling trailer with a 7000lb axle. I don't anticipate hauling anything that heavy but it would be nice to be able to tow with something better than my 2000 4runner. I'm worried that little guy will burn up the trans. I'm thinking about 3000-5000lbs is my limit. My 4runner is rated for 5000lbs but it doesn't feel right when towing.

My brother put new batteries in the M1009 about 2 years ago and was able to get it started. He drove it to the gas station, put diesel in it and then parked it. Now the batteries are dead and after charging them, I get nothing. I can't recall if the lights come on inside the truck but it wouldn't crank. The truck is about an hour away at my grandparents house so I'm hoping to put a list together from this website of things I need to consider checking. If I can get it running, I'm thinking of driving it back to my house and then giving it a thorough inspection and start working on the truck for towing applications.

HeisenBob

The m1009 is rated to tow 1200lbs if i remember correctly.
I recall reading that the bumper pull isn't rated for much. I planned on installing an aftermarket tow hitch. I'll get into that end of things later. Right now, I'm just hoping to get it running. I posted a new thread in the CUVV thread.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby.

Be sure to check all and every towing Limitation and the law regarding.

That and a thorough going over and service.

HeisenBob

Hi Robert!
Welcome from the Henryetta area!
Quick question about making the truck legal in OK. Do you remember the process to get the truck legal in OK? I’m going to have to get with a tag agency and see what they say. Also, who do you have your insurance with? Thanks.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question about making the truck legal in OK. Do you remember the process to get the truck legal in OK? I’m going to have to get with a tag agency and see what they say. Also, who do you have your insurance with? Thanks.
Has the truck ever been tagged previously? Do you have a title or SF97 or any other paperwork for it?

My understanding is it's basically a Chevy Blazer, so most companies will insure it. I use State Farm for my deuce.

HeisenBob

I don’t believe it has ever been titled. I’ll double check on that. If not, with the form 97 allow me to drive it as a daily driver? I want to be able to hop in anytime and run errands or go across country if I want.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t believe it has ever been titled. I’ll double check on that. If not, with the form 97 allow me to drive it as a daily driver? I want to be able to hop in anytime and run errands or go across country if I want.
You first need to check and find out what kind of documents the previous owner had for it. An SF97 is a form that would have come with it when it was surplussed from the military to allow that buyer to get a title.
If you don't have any paperwork for it, you'll have to file for a title to be generated by the state. I'm not sure of the exact process for that as I haven't done it.

HeisenBob

You first need to check and find out what kind of documents the previous owner had for it. An SF97 is a form that would have come with it when it was surplussed from the military to allow that buyer to get a title.
If you don't have any paperwork for it, you'll have to file for a title to be generated by the state. I'm not sure of the exact process for that as I haven't done it.
Can’t find any proof of ownership or bill of sale. I have a call in to the local judge about granting a title certificate so I can file for a new title with the state. I’m supposed to call back on Monday. Fingers crossed he grants this or I might be SOL.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Robert! This is Leo and I live in Grove, OK. I have had to get titles in the past for other stuff and it isn't very hard to do. I found people who do this work in newspapers such as the Ad Tracker, Thrifty Nickle, etc. I am the proud owner of both an M1008 and an M1009. I love these trucks. As for insurance, both of my trucks are insured by State Farm. They are very inexpensive to insure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks