• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from So. Cal

Stevenony

Howdy, I'm Steven and I just purchased a m997a2 from the auction. I won't be seeing it until the end of the year but... Anyways my son and I want to make it into an overlander type camper. It's going to stick having to trailer it close to where a want to go but hey, it's gonna be an adventure.
A bit about myself, I live in the high desert about 75 mile from L.A., I have way too many projects already, a couple of '54 cornbinders, a cool little '54 fiberglass boat that I'm hoping to tow with one of those. I also have a'45 Cat d4 that works occasionally. I'm a passable woodworker and so some leather work on the side. My wife and I raise goats and sheep, bees and game birds.
Be seeing you.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Howdy, I'm Steven and I just purchased a m997a2 from the auction. I won't be seeing it until the end of the year but... Anyways my son and I want to make it into an overlander type camper. It's going to stick having to trailer it close to where a want to go but hey, it's gonna be an adventure.
A bit about myself, I live in the high desert about 75 mile from L.A., I have way too many projects already, a couple of '54 cornbinders, a cool little '54 fiberglass boat that I'm hoping to tow with one of those. I also have a'45 Cat d4 that works occasionally. I'm a passable woodworker and so some leather work on the side. My wife and I raise goats and sheep, bees and game birds.
Be seeing you.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Since you have a little time, "belly up to the bar" and grab some TM's (Technical Manuals) to start learning about your New-To-You truck. TM's are in the Present Conflict section. Link below:

Be sure to snap some pictures when your truck makes it home. It will be really amazing how different it will look with just a little work.

And, Welcome to the Group!

Valor

Hello to you Steven and welcome to the website/group. I'm in the high desert too and know where oak hills is. I used to live there. I'm in apple gulch (valley). Your 997A2 should be a fine vehicle to work with. I've got a 923A2. Good luck and like Mullaney said, get those TM's and read! You will learn lots.

Stevenony

Welcome to the Outfit!

Since you have a little time, "belly up to the bar" and grab some TM's (Technical Manuals) to start learning about your New-To-You truck. TM's are in the Present Conflict section. Link below:

Be sure to snap some pictures when your truck makes it home. It will be really amazing how different it will look with just a little work.

And, Welcome to the Group!
Thanks, I will for both.

Stevenony

Hello to you Steven and welcome to the website/group. I'm in the high desert too and know where oak hills is. I used to live there. I'm in apple gulch (valley). Your 997A2 should be a fine vehicle to work with. I've got a 923A2. Good luck and like Mullaney said, get those TM's and read! You will learn lots.
Thanks, maybe we will run into each other someday. It's a small desert after all.

Stevenony

Be seeing you.
Well my EUC took all of 7 days to process. I'm going on the morning to pick it up. I guess I don't ship vehicles very often because I was amazed at the prices these companies are quoting to ship it all of 54 miles. The cheapest was $500 and $1200 on the other end. I can see the $500, if I have to take a day off work and stuff. But $1200 is extortion for 54 miles and 2-3 hours of work. Maybe I'm just cheap, or maybe I'm in the wrong line of business?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well my EUC took all of 7 days to process. I'm going on the morning to pick it up. I guess I don't ship vehicles very often because I was amazed at the prices these companies are quoting to ship it all of 54 miles. The cheapest was $500 and $1200 on the other end. I can see the $500, if I have to take a day off work and stuff. But $1200 is extortion for 54 miles and 2-3 hours of work. Maybe I'm just cheap, or maybe I'm in the wrong line of business?
Well Congratulations!

Yeah, that isn't cheap but if it was done by somebody really in the business of moving vehicles for others - not really. The insurance that should cover your truck if something went wrong on the move is expensive. Then there is the $500 and honestly, that isn't a lot of money to spend for a days worth of labor. Let's suppose that the mover lived next door. Gather up his equipment and prepare for the run to your pickup destination. Maybe a half hour. Drive time is maybe another hour - assuming no delays. Another hour to flat tow using a tow bar. Another hour removing the drive shafts. Time for Lunch, then drive at 40 miles an hour (according to the technical manuals) so another ninety minutes. Figure out where you want it parked, then disconnect the tow bar and put away the safety chains and other equipment. Go get fuel (spend that money).

Yeah. A day for sure.

I'm cheap too, and most likely I would move my own. Hopefully your recovery goes smoothly and you should take lots of pictures to post!

Stevenony

Don't get me wrong, I can't fault a guy for making a buck. I'll be moving it myself with a friend's brother in law who has a 8x20 flat bed and ramps etc.
I think my biggest issue is where to put it so my wife doesn't have be reminded I bought it in the first place. Lol. At least I have a place to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Don't get me wrong, I can't fault a guy for making a buck. I'll be moving it myself with a friend's brother in law who has a 8x20 flat bed and ramps etc.
I think my biggest issue is where to put it so my wife doesn't have be reminded I bought it in the first place. Lol. At least I have a place to sleep.

I would say that having a trailer and ramps will make your recovery much easier than using a tow bar! These things are pretty wide, so expect it to be tight! Any canvas should be lowered if you can because it flapping in the breeze will eat it up! It will still take most of a day, but if you got it from one of the auction sites - they are generally pretty helpful with loading.

Best to you on keeping the wife happy. You know, Happy Wife, Happy Life and that be a full time job sometimes. But wow if you could get her in the passenger seat and go for a ride... Maybe you could get her involved with it too!

Valor

You can park it at my place! I had to pay a few $$ to have my 923A2 brought to my place. They went and picked it up and loaded it then drove I think 34 miles to my place. Take lots of pics when it home. They will give you fun memories. Let me know if you need help. Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks