• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from South Florida

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks a lot, will do right now.
Welcome to the outfit!

As Ken mentioned - those Technical Manuals (TMs) are your friend. Lots of good information in there an if you sit down in your recliner, I am willing to bet you that you will be asleep before you skim the first 20 pages. The tough part with these things are learning what the military calls them (parts) vs what the rest of the world calls them. When you get that it is easier to search.

The -10 book will tell you how to crank the thing and how the glow plugs should work. What is that WAIT light all about? OR maybe you need to fix that first.

The -20 book will tell you how to change the oils and filters. That should be one of the first things that you do. Every gearbox and the transmission and oil pan should be filled up with fresh new fluid. Diesel fuel has a tendency to grow green algae, so before you try to crank it clean and drain the tank. Batteries might be good - but don't be disappointed if they don't take a charge.

One of our favorite sayings around here is Grease is Cheap, Parts are Not. There is a thing called the Lubrication Order. Take a look in the Technical Manuals section and download that too. Most of these trucks have been sitting for a while - so grease on everything that moves will be time well spent!

Gcelevator

Welcome to the outfit!

As Ken mentioned - those Technical Manuals (TMs) are your friend. Lots of good information in there an if you sit down in your recliner, I am willing to bet you that you will be asleep before you skim the first 20 pages. The tough part with these things are learning what the military calls them (parts) vs what the rest of the world calls them. When you get that it is easier to search.

The -10 book will tell you how to crank the thing and how the glow plugs should work. What is that WAIT light all about? OR maybe you need to fix that first.

The -20 book will tell you how to change the oils and filters. That should be one of the first things that you do. Every gearbox and the transmission and oil pan should be filled up with fresh new fluid. Diesel fuel has a tendency to grow green algae, so before you try to crank it clean and drain the tank. Batteries might be good - but don't be disappointed if they don't take a charge.

One of our favorite sayings around here is Grease is Cheap, Parts are Not. There is a thing called the Lubrication Order. Take a look in the Technical Manuals section and download that too. Most of these trucks have been sitting for a while - so grease on everything that moves will be time well spent!

Thank you very much, i was going through the TM and is very confusing to start with as names of vehicles and what not. good thing on my favor is i went to school (many moons ago) for a degree on diesel engines and specializing in injection systems (just did it for like 4 years) and moved onto many different directions but still, very mechanically inclined/able if that makes sense.

Plans are to try and register first before dumping big money on it. after that, replacing all the fluids including diesel. greasing and starting that engine (bought knowing that could not be started) not afraid of it, but lets see what i find. still should be a couple of months as i bought it last week.
next step, converting to 4 doors and seats and let the fun begin.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you very much, i was going through the TM and is very confusing to start with as names of vehicles and what not. good thing on my favor is i went to school (many moons ago) for a degree on diesel engines and specializing in injection systems (just did it for like 4 years) and moved onto many different directions but still, very mechanically inclined/able if that makes sense.

Plans are to try and register first before dumping big money on it. after that, replacing all the fluids including diesel. greasing and starting that engine (bought knowing that could not be started) not afraid of it, but lets see what i find. still should be a couple of months as i bought it last week.
next step, converting to 4 doors and seats and let the fun begin.
Well, there are several folks on here that have HMMWV's registered in Florida. Asking the questions from somebody who has already "lived it" should get you some good information. Don't know the specifics, but a 20 year old truck is very different from a 19 year old as age pertains to insurance and how it gets tagged.

---

Sounds like you are on the path. Especially looking through the TMs. Your brain will fall out and roll around for the first little while but eventually it will make more sense. You know, dust off the old brain, knock off the dog hair and drop it back in there :cool: . You will have a good head start with some diesel schooling under your belt.. Common Sense will take you a long way with these vehicles!

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here who are happy to help. Brushing up on the TMs will help you to ask the right questions. Good luck with your new project.

Gcelevator

Welcome from south Florida, I'm in Jupiter, if you need anything just ask.

thank you, i will be making a lot of questions. and the 1st one is, were you able to register yours without issue?
i spoke to a friend of mine and told me that depending what the title says she can do it or i might have to go to the DMV to inspect it. she works at one of those title and tag places.

twisted60

My SF97 I believe was marked off road only. I had to go to main DMV location and have humvee inspected then I walked out with Former Military plate and registration. They don’t want you to drive it to the inspection ask me how I know. Call DMV and tell them you have SF97 and want to get plate, if 1 DMV says no try another one, they’re not all the same as far as being informed. Don’t argue just say thanks and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gcelevator

My SF97 I believe was marked off road only. I had to go to main DMV location and have humvee inspected then I walked out with Former Military plate and registration. They don’t want you to drive it to the inspection ask me how I know. Call DMV and tell them you have SF97 and want to get plate, if 1 DMV says no try another one, they’re not all the same as far as being informed. Don’t argue just say thanks and go.

Next question is, what is a former military plate? Can you drive it on road like any other vehicle?

twisted60

It’s for parades, exhibitions and public displays. With my SF 97 being off road only that was my option. That said I drive to exhibitions all over the state. If your SF97 is “clean” you should be able to get a regular plate.

Gcelevator

It’s for parades, exhibitions and public displays. With my SF 97 being off road only that was my option. That said I drive to exhibitions all over the state. If your SF97 is “clean” you should be able to get a regular plate.

Thanks For the response. So that means (and i hope is not the case) that if i get an off road only and get one of those parades/exhibitions tag i still can drive it every once in a while going to an "exhibition" ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks