• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member From UK

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from across the pond. Great looking project. Are the 1009s hard to find there or pretty common? You will find a trove of info here at SS and the way your project looks I'm sure you'll be adding some of your own.

cucvrus

Hey welcome. I really like your work. I do mine the same way. Start with a bare frame and go from there. That seems to be the way to get it done right. Opens up all sorts of opportunity to clean repair and finish coat the entire vehicle. Often times much better then they were cleaned and coated from the factory. It looks very good. I see a few people still know how to do it right the first time. Great looking project. Keep up the good work. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

They rust at the same places state side. So it is a design error. They were building this body for 11 years before the CUCV and it would have been great for them to fix the errors. But it is what it is. Great looking truck and I really like the work you are doing or did. Nice shop also. That is one thing that slows me down. I have a barn to work out of and have interest in many more things so I just live with it. If I had a really nice shop nothing else would get done. Really great work. I like the way you stuck to the original floor plan on the CUCV. It looks great.

Assel

Welcome from Germany, its true, In europe getting a CUCV is quite difficult, there are like 10-15 up on the internet sale sites....and 95% of them are overpriced, rotted or totally messed up ...I was lucky to find a register ready runner. for about 7k$. ... In the US you probably can get 2 in that condition for that price :s

I think I might do some bodywork this winter aswell, lets see how far I get...just dont have the place to do a "frame off" ...

Jamesequipment87

Yes the rust seems to be the main problem on the vehicle, the more parts we took off the more we found.
Still have a full re spray to do in three colour camouflage and interior refurbishment keeping the vehicle totally stock and original.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

cucvrus

Great job. You would definitely get wet feet in that one. I see it all to often. Guys just sand and paint entire vehicles and they look great at a distance. But when you look closely you see the issues that were ignored. You can put a nice paint job on anything. But it is the attention to detail that separates the nice stuff from the rough stuff. My friends and I call that cooking a vehicle. When you just go at it and paint in and make it look good for the moment. Many times you just open the hood and doors and you see the short cuts that took place. Nice job. Great save. Over spraying everything / poor edges is one of my biggest hang ups. I like everything smooth and uniform. Or like a few of mine. I just don't do anything at all to them and just drive and maintain them. I keep them restiqued and drive-able. They are subjected to annual Pennsylvania state safety inspection and I fix what ever it needs to keep them safe and operational. Very NICE job you are doing there A +.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby friendships, and the events to come. Truly good work well carried out. Also Great pictures. See you at "War and Peace Revival"?.

Jamesequipment87

Thank you for all the welcomes :p
Haven't been to The War And Peace Show for many years now back when it was at the Hop Farm, will hopefully get there.
Im from Suffolk on the East Coast of the U.K.

Jamesequipment87

Yes you used to wash the truck and get plenty of water in the cab !! Before the welding work started we did look at finding another body but with very few in the UK and most having the rust and rot issues we went ahead and started work, have now been doing the truck since 2015 it's just finding the time !

Also See it a lot to in the UK, soon shows when you look at vehicles closely the cover up jobs.

Yes we have an Anual MOT here fingers crossed when the truck goes for it all will be ok, lots of components on the chassis/driveline have been replaced.

Last edited:

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you guys have a special class for the vintage vehicles? great job , I just finished a Canadian Forces Line truck with MUCH more rot , I used bearing grease under the hood hinge seals after the rust repair, lucky for us on this side of the pond body parts are cheap and plentiful, again great job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks