• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member in AR

grfd711

Hi folks. My name is Kenneth and I reside in central AR. I'm a paid firefighter and volunteer with another in my free time, as well as work part time as an EMT on an ambulance and also am a part time instructor for the state. I used to be USAF, too. Did four years active duty and three years reserve in the USAF as a Security Forces member, so, I'm one of the few Air Force folks who got to drive non-civilian vehicles vs. the rest of the desk jockeys.

Anyways, my paid FD has a '93 M35A3 which is utilized as a brush truck carrying 400 gallons of water. My vollie FD recently acquired a '93 or '94 M35A3, which I've been tasked to upfit with blinkies, woo-woo, radios and markings. This rig will be used as a tanker carrying 1,000 gallons of water. My vollie FD also has a 70's something model M35A2 which is used as a brush truck carrying 750 gallons of water.

My paid FD used to have a '70 M35A2 until we replaced it with the current rig.

If folks are interested in pics, I may see about posting some, but am unsure of the proper place at this time since I'm just getting around on the forum.

I've done some searching in regards to the transmission fluid used on the M35A3, which led me to this forum a while back. I'm just now getting around to joining. I'll probably revive one of those threads to seek a bit of guidance. I'll relay this to one of my buddies at work, who's a retired MP from the Army, as I'm suggesting changing over to Dexron from the 15w40. But, I'm in no way a mechanic and don't really belong under a hood unless I'm just checking fluids. Still, the info I've seen here is awesome.

Looking forward to swapping stories and getting assistance if matters arise with the rigs I run on from time to time. Glad to be here.

zout

welcome aboard - go ahead and just post pics - someone here will tell ya you have them in the wrong place or said the wrong thing - so where are the pics ?? nopics

RANDYDIRT

Welcome to the group. How long til you get your own "green iron". If you hang out here long the 'green fever" will set in and then you are doomed. It's terminal.:driver:

ARYankee

:ditto:

Welcome to the site!!!! I'm over here in Benton if you ever need some assistance or want to hang out and BS about MVs. Just PM me sometime. You will find a HUGE wealth of knowledge here.

1958 M274

Welcome! I spend several months of the year working at the Montgomery County Military Museum in Mt. Ida, Arkansas (West of Hot Springs on lake Ouachita). I'm also a firefighter with the Joplin VFD and we run two M35A3 1,200 gallon tankers. They aren't my favorite trucks, but they get the job done. Carrying that much load, I recommend you disable the CTIS and air the tires up to 85 PSI. It made a world of difference in how our tankers drive! I'll try to find a picture of them... What kind of an instructor are you?

grfd711

Welcome! I spend several months of the year working at the Montgomery County Military Museum in Mt. Ida, Arkansas (West of Hot Springs on lake Ouachita). I'm also a firefighter with the Joplin VFD and we run two M35A3 1,200 gallon tankers. They aren't my favorite trucks, but they get the job done. Carrying that much load, I recommend you disable the CTIS and air the tires up to 85 PSI. It made a world of difference in how our tankers drive! I'll try to find a picture of them... What kind of an instructor are you?
Sorry for being a bit delayed in responding. Regarding your instructor question, I'm an adjunct instructor for the state fire academy holding IFSAC Instructor I certification.

Regarding the tip about the CTIS and airing up the tires, I'll discuss that with the chief of that department and see what he has to say. As far as the difference in driving, was it handling that it affected?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks