• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in Nevada looking for insight

bilwilvegas

Good afternoon, My name is Bill Wilson and I am from Las Vegas, NV. We are looking at purchasing a 1986 AM General M944A1 6x6 Utility Truck w/ Shop Equipment & Tools from GovPlanet. We want to strip out all of the machine shop equipment and use this as a tailgate party truck to support our charity (American Warrior Inititative) at local events and UNLV athletics events where we are sponsors.

I have never purchased a military vehicle (or any vehicle of this size before). Does anyone have any idea what I will be facing when we try to get it registered in Nevada?

Any insight or thoughts on what we are getting ourselves into will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Bill

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good afternoon, My name is Bill Wilson and I am from Las Vegas, NV. We are looking at purchasing a 1986 AM General M944A1 6x6 Utility Truck w/ Shop Equipment & Tools from GovPlanet. We want to strip out all of the machine shop equipment and use this as a tailgate party truck to support our charity (American Warrior Inititative) at local events and UNLV athletics events where we are sponsors.

I have never purchased a military vehicle (or any vehicle of this size before). Does anyone have any idea what I will be facing when we try to get it registered in Nevada?

Any insight or thoughts on what we are getting ourselves into will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Bill
Contact member @silverstate55 or @NV555 they would be your best contact for around Vegas for that information

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want a M750 expansible semitrailer, twice the floor space and ready to use as is. Fraction of the purchase price as well.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, I brought my M35A2 & M105A2 trailer over from California a few years back, and had no problems getting both registered here in Nevada. I have a friend who has an M52A2 5 Ton tractor and it's also registered here in Nevada. You might try contacting the (NHP) Nevada Highway Patrol. Good Luck.

fasttruck

Get or download the pubs: operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book, lubrication order. Grease is cheap, parts cost money. Depending on what kind of registration you get a CDL driver may be required. Government sales include no lifetime warranty It takes the military at least 2 years to move a vehicle through the sales process so you can expect at least dead batteries. If you have the nerve to attempt to drive this thing home check all fluid levels and grease everything..

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get or download the pubs: operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book, lubrication order. Grease is cheap, parts cost money. Depending on what kind of registration you get a CDL driver may be required. Government sales include no lifetime warranty It takes the military at least 2 years to move a vehicle through the sales process so you can expect at least dead batteries. If you have the nerve to attempt to drive this thing home check all fluid levels and grease everything..
fasttruck I agree. Also check the tires for pressure and condition, I've seen some trucks come from GP with really bad tires.

fasttruck

Also it would be prudent to determine what fluid is in the transmission: OE10 and Dextron are authorized, as I recall from the applicable LO, but only one or the other. No mixing.

Reference post 5: registered as what ? Farm use, recreational vehicle, historical vehicle ? A commercial registration brings with it a host of compliance issues that are not for the faint of heart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks