• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in the UK with an M1008

KallyLC

Long time browser here, picked up an M1008 last month so I can finally join in.

XGOG4338.PNGIMG_2104.JPG

No stranger to military vehicles or American vehicles, my other project car is a '90 S10 Blazer, my dad had Jeeps while I was growing up, and the guy who lived next door to my grandfather had a yard full of rotting squarebody Blazers and USAF surplus trucks, including a couple of CUCVs. I looked at one of his 1009s back in 2015 and he wanted £8k for what was pretty much a rolling chassis, so when this one came up for less than that I jumped on it.

When the previous owner picked it up it was just a plain green pickup truck, so all the additions are non-original to the truck, but it looks the part and it's solid so that's good enough for me. Few minor things to fix (broken exhaust, glow plug temp sensor, no speedo/fuel gauge) but it runs and drives just great. Already been poring over the TMs and got some of the parts I need to fix it, looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

As for plans going forward, mainly just looking to preserve what's there. I like the lightbar but we're wiring in a plug so it can be removed, and the troop seats could do with a refresh and some pins making up for them. The markings aren't original, so I'm considering painting them out and maybe putting Air Force markings back on it, maybe get some show plates with the Air Force serial number on them which is still inside the door.
IMG_2077.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Long time browser here, picked up an M1008 last month so I can finally join in.

View attachment 848012View attachment 848013

No stranger to military vehicles or American vehicles, my other project car is a '90 S10 Blazer, my dad had Jeeps while I was growing up, and the guy who lived next door to my grandfather had a yard full of rotting squarebody Blazers and USAF surplus trucks, including a couple of CUCVs. I looked at one of his 1009s back in 2015 and he wanted £8k for what was pretty much a rolling chassis, so when this one came up for less than that I jumped on it.

When the previous owner picked it up it was just a plain green pickup truck, so all the additions are non-original to the truck, but it looks the part and it's solid so that's good enough for me. Few minor things to fix (broken exhaust, glow plug temp sensor, no speedo/fuel gauge) but it runs and drives just great. Already been poring over the TMs and got some of the parts I need to fix it, looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

As for plans going forward, mainly just looking to preserve what's there. I like the lightbar but we're wiring in a plug so it can be removed, and the troop seats could do with a refresh and some pins making up for them. The markings aren't original, so I'm considering painting them out and maybe putting Air Force markings back on it, maybe get some show plates with the Air Force serial number on them which is still inside the door.
View attachment 848014
From the east coast of the United States - a very warm Welcome to the outfit!

I like the looks of your truck for sure. Happy to hear that you have already found the TM's and have them "at the ready". There are several guys who really know these CUCV's inside and out. They are a lot more useful than I am when it comes to some of the magic in the engine compartment.

BE SURE to create yourself a thread with pictures inside and out and under the hood. That will give you something to look back on with a bit of pride as you fix things. I look back at some of my older pictures - and it even amazes me how much better a little paint here and there and a wrench turned will improve older iron. :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks