• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member intro and new m1009 owner

Hawkdawg

How we doing fellas, I gotta be honest, in the past I had a civilian k5 and got rid of it when I joined the corps. I'm in jacksonville nc and Now that I got the chance I decided to get one again but had my eye caught by the m1009. Did some looking around and found one I thought was a good buy. This site was always the main one pulled up when I did some sort of search so I decided to become a part of it.

So I got the truck planning on using it as a recreational vehicle but have found that I would like to make it my daily dependable driver. So far the only thing I have done is had the starter replaced because she left me stranded at a fishing spot. Apparently it was missing the support bracket and snapped the bolts so I had one fabricated for pretty cheap. Here's my question: what in particular should be my first stops as to making sure I'm less likely to be left waiting on a tow after fishing. I already plan on putting in new alternators, belts, and water pump. I have done numerous searches on this site in te past and found great posts on this type thing but for some odd reason I am too dumb to find those exact ones again. I was hoping some of the experts could help me out.

Also, I'm not the most mechanically inclined but have decided that this is where I learn to actually be a man and learn how to do some of the things I should already know. The on base hobby shop guys have already told me they will be there to help out when I run into a dead end which sure will happen a lot due to my skill level. Thank you for the help in advance. I will also post some pics soon to show what I'm working with. I'm hoping to make this truck as awesome as possible.

bigginstactical

Welcome! Thanks for your service! First things first do the doghead relay mod.http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?32943-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation It's simple and a must do in my opinion. Spend some time reading the TMs. Buy a decent multimeter and youtube how to use it correctly. You will need it for most issues that arise with the 09. My vehicles I change all the fluids as soon as I have the funds... and filters too. It is a good idea to clean all the electrical connections 1. They probably need it anyways. 2. It gets you really familiar with your rig and you may spot future problems will scouring around. Read about the alts. They are Isolated ground. Easy to rebuild and for way cheaper then buying new. Alternator and Starter Parts online has the kit. http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5137 The search function is your friend haha! Good luck!

jw4x4

First and foremost, thank you for your service. I have enjoyed my Oh Nine as a daily driver for the past 5 years. As advised above, read the stickies. Lots of vital info condensed in a convenient format. As read from this site, the two most important things to remember on a CUCV are : If it's rubber, replace it. If it's electrical, clean it. With your desire to learn, and a little help from some experienced advisors, you will likely enjoy your ride for many years to come.