• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, just got my EUC approved and headed out to pick up my M998A1 this weekend

04sshd

Won a m998a1 on Mar 23, got my EUC approval on April 25. I'm impressed by the time it took, they told me 8-12 weeks!. So I'm departing NV for TX with my trailer and headed out to pick it up, anything I should be aware of and or look for when I get there?

It's a 1,250 trip each way, fingers crossed it goes smooth. Im taking a spare for the tow vehicle and trailer, misc hand tools, Jack, and jumper cables. Any other advice on what to bring?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from North West Nevada. There is a lot of open road between Nevada/Texas and back, so bring an ice chest with food and drink......just in case. Good Luck on your recovery.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully it starts, if not winch/come-a-long it up on the trailer. Jumper cables may not help, the 998 is 24 volt. GP folks may help out.
Also dissemble the cargo cover and stow, it will help greatly in reducing wind resistance and wear and tear on the cover. Take pictures.
Welcome aboard.

04sshd

Hopefully it starts, if not winch/come-a-long it up on the trailer. Jumper cables may not help, the 998 is 24 volt. GP folks may help out.
Also dissemble the cargo cover and stow, it will help greatly in reducing wind resistance and wear and tear on the cover. Take pictures.
Welcome aboard.
Thanks, I hope it starts too. It was a runner in auction, no mention of needing a jump in the description. I don't have a comalong, but I do have a diesel tow vehicle with dual batteries and two jumper cables. I can disconnect the two batteries in the hmmwv and jump them individually then re connect and cross my fingers. And yes I was planning on taking the carrier soft top off before driving.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A man w/ a plan. Sounds like your thinking it through. You could just bring two known good batteries w/ you, 10 minutes to swap out. I have learned in all my recoveries is that be prepared for everything and the vehicle will fire right up, drive right home. Show up with little to no support and the truck wont move for a week. Going to be a fun road trip. If it runs, check all the fluids, put some fresh fuel in it and drive a short distance once you get out of town (followed by chase vehicle) check for leaks etc.
Have fun.

04sshd

A man w/ a plan. Sounds like your thinking it through. You could just bring two known good batteries w/ you, 10 minutes to swap out. I have learned in all my recoveries is that be prepared for everything and the vehicle will fire right up, drive right home. Show up with little to no support and the truck wont move for a week. Going to be a fun road trip. If it runs, check all the fluids, put some fresh fuel in it and drive a short distance once you get out of town (followed by chase vehicle) check for leaks etc.
Have fun.
I was planning on bringing two spare batteries for my f250, I could even make a 24v jump pack out of them. I wasn't sure if they would work in the m998. I've never seen the batteries on one and don't know what kind of terminals they require.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mil spec batteries have the same top post a commercial batteries, 1/2" wrench for the post clamp and 9/16" wrench for the cable bolt. Easy-pesy... Charge up your spares and you'll be covered.

Presale

I just joined the site. I bought 3 HMMWVs recently and have picked them all up.
1990 M998 4 door crew
1992 M998 2 Door Crew
1994 M998A1 4 Door crew

When you pick up take the following
1) Some way to jump start or replace batteries ( don't forget its 24v)
2) Starting fluid
3) plenty tie downs

Good luck man. I absolutely love mine. Gave 1 to my grandson as his very first car. Just got it registered in Texas.

Wire Fox

I just joined the site. I bought 3 HMMWVs recently and have picked them all up.
1990 M998 4 door crew
1992 M998 2 Door Crew
1994 M998A1 4 Door crew

When you pick up take the following
1) Some way to jump start or replace batteries ( don't forget its 24v)
2) Starting fluid
3) plenty tie downs

Good luck man. I absolutely love mine. Gave 1 to my grandson as his very first car. Just got it registered in Texas.
I have to null one item on here.... don't bring starting fluid. The engines in these use glow plugs. The starting fluid cooks the glow plugs in as little as one shot and will cost you $80 to replace the set, at a minimum, assuming you don't damage something else with it. To keep you with a list of three items, I'll substitute this bullet point:

Winch or other pulling tool. In the event you can't start your HMMWV, this is an exceeding nice/necessary thing to have to manually get the HMMWV onto the trailer.

Mario

Got my M998 from Texarkana TX few months back. Guys are more than willing and actually prefer to load M998s with forklift. No need to try to start it, aim it, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks