• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member like to say hello, need help with my new M35A3

rosewood_5060

My name is Marlene. I would like to say hello to all the members. I just purchased our 1st military vehicle for my son & myself. It is an M35 A3 which came out of Maryland. We were driving it for about 20min. between 30-40 mi /hr when apparently the front brakes started to lock up. Both drums became very hot & we could smell the brake shoes. Our friend George, told us to go on Steel Soldiers for the best information. If someone can help us....what could have caused this & how can we prevent it from happening.
Right now the truck has sat for approx 1 hr. & the truck seems to roll freely. If any of u can help me, please drop me a line.

smoke

Front brakes could need adjusted or the air pack( brake assist) could be bad and still applying the brakes after you release the brake pedel

smoke

Are you still on the road or at home try the search look under "locked up brakes" that will give you a number of threads to look at.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the brake backing plate back side near the top to the right and left you find a 11/16 hex, the front one tuun clockwise say 1/8 of a turn, the one behind counterclockwise. This will loosen.

3dAngus

That's an interesting problem. I was unable to determing which wheels the parking brake goes to by my tech manuals on the M3A3. I'm sure some much more knowledgeable than I will be able to help. Hang in there. It shouldn't be to difficult to determine the problem with some of these guys helping.

rosewood_5060

Thank you very much for the "welcome" & the help. We should be able to tackle the problem tomorrow. I appreciate any & all info. Being a single mom & not @ all a mechanic, I find this new purchase both awesome & intimidating. Of course, my son is thrilled!

feldmarshal

Welcome from NGA , The flexable rubber lines at the wheels may be restricted. Get the condition of overheating at drums happening, jack front wheel off the ground and try to turn it , if it doesn't spin loosen the wheel cylinder bleeder screw. if it now spins the line is bad, if not the wheel cylinders may be sticking or too tight adjustment. If you don't have the equiptment to do this , bring to your favorite shop and let a tech. look at it,we like something out of the norm. Good luck

91W350

I would suspect the hydraulics are not returning freely. They may just have the shoes too tight. Next time it is locked up, see if opening the bleeder releases the shoes. Normally this is from flex hoses in bad shape and not allowing free return of the fluid. Welcome to the forums, wish I was closer, it seems I am always looking for another excuse to get dirty. You might take a hard look at the steel lines up front too and make sure one has not been pinched. Your master cylinder makes a lot more expanding pressure than the return springs do return pressure. Glen

Editing to add I think feldmarshal is on the right track! We must have been pounding keys at the same time.

BadMastard

Welcome to the fun! I'm not the smartest guy on the site, but I think what steve 6x6x6 said is likely to help. The a3 has a split system with the front brakes on a different hydraulic "circuit" than the back brakes. I believe he just gave you the means to adjust them a little.

Things to check. There are two brake reservoirs on the A3, under the hood on the passenger side. Check to see if both levels are still good. If there is serious discoloration in one or the other, you may have fluid contamination. If that's the case, you need to bleed the brakes out, make sure you use dot6 silicon brake fluid. It's not hard, but it does take two people or a power brake bleeder.

If both fronts got hot, it's likely to be the master cylinder. Could be not returning as it's stuck, or the brakes being mutually mal adjusted. If you have someone pump the brakes while you are watching the reservoirs, you may see bubbles or discolored fluid move in one or both reservoirs. I would again bleed the brakes to clear that up. If one moves, but the other doesn't, then that "circuit" is probably locked up. From what you said about the truck rolling freely now, you may be able to limp it home going carefully, avoid braking and get it to a mechanic. Our brake systems are not that complex, most can work on it.

Next thing, check your front axle for gear oil being in it. There is a plug about halfway up the pumpkin shape on your front axle. It should be a 1/2 inch square ratchet hole, which you can remove the plug with. Keep the plug near, it's likely going to start flowing out if it's properly serviced. If nothing comes out, then put your pinkie in it and see if the fluid is just below or near the bottom of the plug hole. If it's not, it might be a little to a lot low, which will also heat up the axles.

Lastly, there is one other unique thing with the A3 deuce, which is the dreaded CTIS system. It's designed to keep your tires properly inflated while driving. IF you have overinflated the tires (over 45-55 psi), you might be getting air pressure "blocking" the air assist on your brakes. I haven't been able to confirm this happening on my A3, but one of the friends I have has seen it on his deuce when he tried 60 psi. Easy check though is to check the air pressure on all the tires.

That's all my limited knowledge covers. Good luck!

Hightechken

WELCOME to SS!

Sounds like backing off the adjustment a little bit will at least get you rolling for now. Sometimes surface rust on the steel drum can cause this.

gem1410

Hi Marlene--Welcome to SS--All the people here are very helpful and also have giant toys--attached are the pictures of your truck so members can see what you are working on--everyone likes alot of pictures

Attachments

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Marlene--Welcome to SS--All the people here are very helpful and also have giant toys--attached are the pictures of your truck so members can see what you are working on--everyone likes alot of pictures
This is the truck that sold on ebay for $7,400.00 about 2 weeks ago.

gem1410

Marlene bought it from me off Ebay--I purchased it in April --it is out of Fort Mead MD--My cost $4800 from GL plus 10% buyers fee plus 7% tax plus $100 title fee into NJ title plus $600 shipping to my place plus $100 ebay selling fee plus I paid $200 towards the shipping to Marlene--my cost "only" $6649 ---These GL trucks get very expensive before you know it--And the descriptions are not always accurate on condition---thanks to all the SS guys for helping me out on many tough problems and now helping Marlene out

Last edited:

91W350

It is funny how people assume you are getting rich quick when you turn a truck. When I bought my first deuce, the cost of recovery was half the price of the truck. Then they always seem to need batteries and other small items, or a tire or two, a couple of seals, if you are lucky. Buy a few and get a bad one, you will be a long time breaking even. Even if I was in a position to buy a southern or southeastern truck for much less money, the costs to get it home would eat me alive. I enjoy the adventure of getting the unknown fired up and home, I think I enjoy that even more than the daily driving of my deuce, which I do drive one almost daily. Missed five days since February 8th. Glen

AN/ARC186

Don't worry about being in over your head, these guys have an unending supply of life jackets (and strait jackets) . I haven't seen a problem they couldn't fix yet.

The TM's are your friends and best of all written knowing that those who might have to do the work may not be the most experienced in this sort of thing.

Get a good set of tools, a pile of shop rags, your favorite beverage, an ample supply of four letter expletives and jump right in...the waters fine!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks