• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member like to say hello, need help with my new M35A3

gem1410

We did some diagnostic work on the A3 today--The brakes lock up at the first push of the brake pedal--The truck was placed on a hill and was rolling down the hill in neutral with the engine running and the air pressure up--tha brakes were applied and the truck stopped-- when the pedal was released the truck would not move--The truck would not move in drive either--The trans was then put back into neutral and the engine was then turned off -- the brake pedal was tapped until the air pressure gauge was down around 35 psi--the truck then began to roll---I am starting to think the brake air pack is getting stuck----any ideas guys--Thanks George

Last edited:

BadMastard

Hey Gem,

Well, that does sound like the air pack. I'm not an expert on it, so anyone with a better idea, please feel free to chime in. Here's my thoughts.

When I got my A3, I sprayed a little rubbing alcohol mixed with marvel mystery oil into the feed on the air compressor. I did the same thing on my 109a3 as well, and it seemed to help a couple of sticky valves. If that's all there is to yours, which it might be given the fact it was working ok at first, that might help. I opened the bleed valves on the tanks, and sprayed the mix until it came out the bleed valves. You may have to push the brake pedal a few times while you are adding it.

Double check your tire pressure. I have heard strange stuff about a tire with too much pressure messing with the brakes, since it can feed back into the system from the CTIS.

Now to the other stuff. If it's only the front brakes, it's probably the right hand hydraulic unit, it controls the front brakes.

About the only thing you can do for it is to replace it or rebuild it. Bypassing it is probably suicidal.

One other thing to check. Look under the truck and you should see three lines coming from the brake assembly that go to the back of the cab of the truck, making a uturn and pointing down. These are your brake vent lines. It's possible though unlikely these could be plugged, and preventing your air pressure from venting. Easy check is to trace it back to the right hand brake assembly, and disconnect it. See if your brakes return to operation. it's a long shot.

That's all I got for you. I'd recommend a brake shop if you aren't completely comfortable with doing all this, as this is one of those things that you want to work more than any other thing. Hope it helps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also check to see that you have freeplay in the pedal adjustments. If the previous owner tried to adjust pedal linkage to give it a higher pedal they may have got it too tight. The net effect of this will be that the compensating port in the master cylinder is blocked and won't allow fluid to return, causing a no relase condition. Other that that, airpack!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!!!
There is lots of guys here on SS that know a lot about the problems with these trucks and I'm sure they will find the problem.

Good luck!!!:driver:

gem1410

Sent an air pack to Marlene to get the truck moving about 2 weeks ago--Since that time the brakes started working with out anything being done--The air dryer developed a constant leak not allowing the tanks to air up--the dryer was bypassed and everything seems o to work--