• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, looking to buy deuce to travel continent

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the paint scheme that'l trip ya......

It's not the military truck that makes you stand out. It's the military camo paint.

I considered driving a deuce down to Central America a few years back. When the Northern Mexico border issues spiked, I (the wife really) decided the uncertainty was too great to ignore and so I shipped the truck down instead.

Here's my opinion on the Central American states IF you stay with camo paint:

Mexico: Northern border is iffy. Lotsa Federal police inspection stops on the highways.
Guatemala: Could be sensitive. Low grade concern.
Honduras: Could be sensitive. Low grade concerns here as well.
El Salvador: You will blend right in. US military does stuff there.
Nicaragua: No problem
I skipped Belize 'cause it's out of the way! (there's an SS member there. Don't think there's a problem)
Costa Rica: No problem in fact you will be a novelty!
Panama: no problem

From Panama you will ship your truck south to SA. I receive parts inquiries from most of the SA countries, so while I don't have experience down that far, I believe the M35A2 is no stranger there and I don't expect you will stand out.

If you paint your truck non military colors and put commercial type advertising on it as you mention, I say you would have no troubles at all. That's how I would do it if I were to do the drive down. Sort of a reverse camo!

You will want to have proper state title and registration for border crossings. Also bring patience and your Spanish speaking abilities. The border crossings are a special part of the experience.

Good luck, get healthy and get rolling!

Rick

Last edited:

ImONPoint.org

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas. I just previewed some GL trucks at a local base the other day and guess the next step is to get in touch with somebody local who has one in nice condition to drive it a bit.

As far as my disability and ability to do adventure racing-I've only done the shorter ones that last from 4 to 6 hours so far. I usually take one or both of my Labradors and we 'race' at our own pace. The biking, kayaking and orienteering are the easiest for me while the trail running usually comes in the form of hiking. This past week has been **** as far as pain goes, just got back from the clinic where I was told that there aren't any definitive tests for Lyme disease. I had to convince the doc to put me on doxycyclene to see if it makes a difference. This high humidity also seems to have a direct correlation to my level of pain so maybe I need to look into moving back out West instead of traveling through Central and South America.

Guess time will tell whether or not I have Lyme disease and the special MRIs I have scheduled next month will hopefully tell us what can be done.

I'll get in contact with the member who's just east of Indy and if there's anybody else who's got some spare time to show me their truck and pass on some knowledge, I'll be more than happy to accept.

Thanks again guys,

Patrick

cyberspace_7

Here are a few pictures I have saved from members here on SS. The exterior shot with the motorbike on front belongs to SS member unclemikey. The $175,000 M35A3 (long story - look up deuce supercamper for more info) going off road is from JP Magazine. The final interior picture is from another site...I can't remember witch one, but the file name might help to find it....

This link takes you to unclemikey's pictures page...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/unclemikey-albums-camper-apocalyptic.html

This one takes you to a thread with more info on unclemikey's camper...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/51348-deuce-camper.html

This is the ultimate step by step page on a super build. He is a member, just not sure of name...
MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M109 Military Truck RV Project

Here is a camper done by papabear...a bit simpler than some of the others, but well done!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/41937-m185a3-camper.html

I know there are others, these are just a few of my favorites. By the way love what you are doing for our soldiers in need! Hope all this helps...

Attachments

hotfam1

Patrick,

Got here looking for info on crossing the border with a military truck. But the Doc telling you there is no test for Lyme Disease is full of beans. I beleive the test is called "Lyme's tighters", and it can indicate the markers of Lymes. Docs at military places in Connecticut know all about Lymes, as it is named for Lyme CT. If you are out an about in the woods, you have probably come in contact with deer ticks, so that's where you could have got it from.
I did most of my time in submarines in the Navy out of Groton, CT. I am positive for Lymes, as is my youngest son. Docs at yale medical school have the most experience in Lymes, and it is the Rheumo Docs that know the most. Get a referral to Rheumo at your hospital, sound like you may have it. Once found positive you are always positive BTW.

I am seeking mor info about coming back into the USA from Canada or Mexico in a US military truck. Does Uncle Sam have any restrictions on this issue? Anybody?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks