• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member needs Deuce advice

ugadawgz

I am a new member on Steel Soldiers. A friend of mine bought a '71 M35A2 at an auction...his intention was to pull the axles off and use for a rock crawler he was building.

Well, he changed his mind, didn't do the rock crawler, and sold me the truck for $3000, which is what he claims he paid for it at the auction. Well, I drove it home, and I've drove it around and played in the woods a few times...but, I know nothing about these types of trucks, and I don't really have anywhere to keep it (it is currently sitting in my front yard, and I live in a neighborhood where it's not really "appreciated" in my front yard).

So, my dilemma is what to do with the truck...if I could find someone that would give me what I have in it, I would sell it just to get it out of the front yard. I've also thought about tearing it down and selling parts...I've seen the axles selling on eBay, I've seen the canvas top selling, engine selling, wheels/tires, etc. I hate to tear down a truck that is in pretty decent shape and runs great, but at this point, I just need to either sell it in one piece, or sell it in multiple pieces. The only problem I know of is that the brakes don't work great - I've bled the air cylinders but it doesn't seem to help. A guy that came and looked at buying the truck said it's hydraulic brakes...but the guy that sold it to me said they were air brakes. I've asked others who told me it's sort of a combination of the two.

If anyone has any advice on the pros/cons of breaking down and selling as parts, or if possible to sell for $3000 or so...don't want to lose money, but need to move to get out of front yard.

Capt.Marion

Before you do anything:

Read this wiki article. It will answer most of your questions. Then read the Operator's Manual, which is linked to at the bottom of the article.

Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Then take pictures and post them here!

EDIT: Actually, the wiki article doesn't link to the operator's manual... I'll scare up the link and post it here.

Here's the link to the operator's manual (commonly referred to as the "-10")
http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=86

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! If you part it out, won't that look worse than a complete truck sitting in the yard?

Parting it out is a lot of work, especially if you are aiming to break even. I say enjoy it for a while, get to know it and if you want it gone, sell it.

Rick

Marcel

Fill the bed with loam and plant flowers in it. Then you can call it a mobile flower pot. In the winter when the flowers die back and the loam hardens to a solid mass you will have more weight to maneuver in the deep snow.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you part it out, won't that look worse than a complete truck sitting in the yard?

Parting it out is a lot of work, especially if you are aiming to break even. I say enjoy it for a while, get to know it and if you want it gone, sell it.

Rick
:ditto:

Parting out looks good on paper when you go to adding up the sum of the parts but it's not as easy as it looks.

Do you have some way to lift and move around atleast 3,000lbs.? That would be the bare minimum you'd need to lift some of the parts and to load them for the buyer. You think the neighbors don't like you now, wait until you turn your front yard into a salvage yard ;). I'd look at it taking close to a year or more to get the whole truck torn apart and sold.

I've parted my fair share of trucks but they were trucks that were truly parts trucks, I've got plenty of room to do it, and I have the ability to lift the whole truck if need be.

This is not something to be done in someones front yard IMO. I'd try to sell it whole if I were you. Depending on the overall condition you may or may not get your money back and you may have to sit on it awhile.

Heavysteven

Does it have a winch? If so great price. After 2010 it's going up in valve by the way.

Also, take a second to read up on your truck TM's (this could save your life!). If your brakes fail 13,500 lbs is not going stop easily.

I think alot of poeple think how cool a deuce would be to own but not what it takes. I am all in and plan to keep my truck the rest of my life.

Good luck and post some pictures!!!

I need a windshield and could pickup.

Fullpower

Cash on Delivery

only $3000 ? Can you post pictures ?
If it is road legal, brakes, lights and glass in place, and not thoroughly thrashed,
I will take it.
If you can get it to my driveway, I have 30 crisp hundreds for you, could probably spot you a few hundred for fuel, and I'll buy you breakfast.
( serious, by the way... If you deliver it here in running condition, I have cash for you)
PM for phone number, etc.
Dean

ugadawgz

ok. i know it's been a few months, but i finally took the time to get some pictures and i've posted it on the classifieds. it only allowed about 8 pictures, so i also posted a zip file with several more pictures on my website in case someone wants to download - it's about 15MB, but has about 30 pictures from several angles, inside and out, and the engine. http://www.alphaindustrial.net/deucePics.zip

it is also listed on the classifieds section of this site.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Unless you just hate the truck why not keep it. :?:

You cant have more truck or fun for the money.:jumpin:

Drive it to Home Depot or Wally-World...go to car shows, offer to use it in Veterans Day events.:idea:

If it it legally titled and insured and there is no Home Owners Association rules in your neighborhood no one can keep you from parking it in your driveway. I've seen motor homes that look junkier than a deuce.

There are several of us "MV addicts" in the area.

I am hosting a mini-rally the 17th of this month (look for Wreckerman's Spring Fling thread).
Load up some friends and family and come on up....you will meet a lot of good MV folks.:driver:

One member from B'ham is supposed to come up....hook up with him and ya'll "convoy" up.

If you are determined to sell you might find a buyer at the rally.

ugadawgz

I don't hate the truck...I actually like it a lot. My problem is that I am not much of a mechanic and I really don't have the time or the know-how to maintain it...or anywhere to park it. It's sitting in my driveway, which is fine w/ me (but it bothers my wife because she has to make awkward maneuvers to get into the garage).

Ultimately, I just need the money. My wife is in college right now and tuition is due. I just bought an airplane and I just don't have the money to maintain both hobbies.

I have had a lot of questions and some interest after posting it on the classifieds. If I have not sold it by the 17th, I may just drive up to your rally...maybe someone will be interested.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

tsstout

Look around.. I found a storage area parking lot for cheap.... My neighbors hate it too, so she stays in the lot... and I visit and take her for walks....

As far a wrenching goes... These folks have answers and will help you get through most issues.... Just buy plenty of bandaids.... They are proned to cause bruising :)

Terry

TIGERFANS2

only $3000 ? Can you post pictures ?
If it is road legal, brakes, lights and glass in place, and not thoroughly thrashed,
I will take it.
If you can get it to my driveway, I have 30 crisp hundreds for you, could probably spot you a few hundred for fuel, and I'll buy you breakfast.
( serious, by the way... If you deliver it here in running condition, I have cash for you)
PM for phone number, etc.
Dean

this is the good deal as long as fullpower throws in some salmon and halibut fishing and an open tab at the Salty Dog (if it's still open........)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks