• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, new M1008

Hello! New here after reading some threads last week. Sold my Chevy HD and needed another heavy duty pickup that I was not afraid to use like a truck. Picked up a 32k mile '86 at General Jim's Surplus in Clare, MI Saturday and it made the 120 mile trip home with no issues. I'm looking forward to freshening it up a little. Plans are in the works for a 4" lift and some 37" tires on the steel wheels. The paint scheme is very ugly so maybe a simple olive or forest coat is in order also.

Attachments

L999here

Welcome...!!!

Well done...!!! Welcome to our addiction...errr HOBBY. Just a matter of which 'discipline' you want to explore... trucks,cars,armor,accessories,parts,pieces,WW1,WW2 or more recent items. There is always someone who will be able to help or assist you with questions and good advice.

cucv1833

Plans are in the works for a 4" lift and some 37" tires on the steel wheels. The paint scheme is very ugly so maybe a simple olive or forest coat is in order also.
Nice one. Welcome to S.S.

You can do a advance search about the lift questions and paint preferences if you need to. Theres alot of info on here about that.

Matt65

Matt65, what wheels are you using with the Hummer tires?
Factory GM 16.5s from an 80s truck. My spare wheel is actually a Ford wheel. At that time the bolt pattern was the same. My main goal was to keep the weight down. I ditched the 2 piece wheels and the run flat insert to reduce rotating mass.

Last edited:

2HIJOS2126

Nice score..... I myself scored an m1028 a couple weeks ago and cant wait to see it and post some pics..... Keep us posted on your new additions and maintenance.....

Factory GM 16.5s from an 80s truck. My spare wheel is actually a Ford wheel. At that time the bolt pattern was the same. My main goal was to keep the weight down. I ditched the 2 piece wheels and the run flat insert to reduce rotating mass.
Thanks. I've now figured out the link thing. Sorry. :) I was thinking about the H1 wheels but I'm starting to rethink that due to the offset and the weight. I need to find a great deal on some tires, whether 16" or 16.5" then I'll make the wheel decision.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charlotte
Welcome to SS, Your in good company around here . I like going to General Jim's Surplus. You must have been like a kid in a candy store. I usually am.:beer:

Thanks! We spend most weekends in Weidman so it's a short drive to Clare. Always a fun trip to General Jim's, then a visit next door to Jay's.

Jim's have some old style 36" Goodyear Hummer tires but I'm not sure about using bias plys. Have to stop back anyway for a pair of lift rings for the front bumper.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks