• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member / New M109 in Boise, Idaho

RSB3

New member to the site and recently acquire a 1967 M109. Always wanted one and now I do! Want to do some changes (muffler, sound insulate the cab, increase tire size, go to 6 wheels, add 12volt converter, possibly RV out the back)
Bought some small things so far (new reflectors, wiper blades and a license plate light)

It needs one window and 3 black out covers (finding these are hard to locate) I dissasembled one window and found laminated glass, wood, alumnium and steel! Alot to these windows. Went to a glass fabricator today and they are making me a new window replacement (tempered) and they are trying to track down a rubber u shape to mimic the size that holds the glass. The wood is shot in one window so i am cutting up some replacement strips, hopefully I can track down some covers to make this beast (name this rig is starting to be called on a frequent basis)

Want to keep the stock look, possibly update the camo look, was thinking digital but again just recently acquired so there are many ideas floating around.

Been reading many threads and there are some great info out there! Trying to get to Fruitland this weekend to see some more.

Another bonus is that my neighbor says he used to work on these "Beasts" :grin:
so I have someone else to pick their brain.

Hope to post more pics later.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New member to the site and recently acquire a 1967 M109. Always wanted one and now I do! Want to do some changes (muffler, sound insulate the cab, increase tire size, go to 6 wheels, add 12volt converter, possibly RV out the back)
Well that's just crazy...who in thier right mind would do that?

Welcome [thumbzup]

waayfast

Welcome to the site from McCall! Glad to see another member this close! We are headed to Fruitland Saturday unless the weather really gets bad.(Like it could get much worse LOL).

Nice truck, should make a good camper!

Jim

BillIdaho

Welcome to SS and fellow Treasure Valley resident.

I just got home from all day Friday at the show. A light drizzle settled the dust-which was good for the car-crushing. I think we are crushing two cars tomorrow. Chase me down (I will more than likely be in the museum) and I will introduce you to Alex. He should have pretty well whatever you will need for a duece.
( I get to be the old bald guy with a limp)

srodocker

Congrats on the truck! not sure how far you like to drive but there is a PNW convoy on july 16th-18th if you would like to come! I vote camper conversion!

RSB3

So I received some more parts and installed. License plate light and wiring complete. Located the plate on the metal mudflap, had to relocate the steel supports out a couple of inches to allow for clear view. Re did the wiring to supply power to it. Worked great and thanks to Erik's mil and ind surplus's instructions it went flawlessly.

Also replaced a fuel line that was leaking, see attached photo of the existing line I had to replace...

Next is to work on the top to the cab as it has a few holes that need to be patched. I also bought new SS (stainless steel) hardware to replace the existing hardware to attach the top to the cab.

It is now fully titled, licensed and insured in Idaho! Need to install the front plate and it is on the road legally.

Attachments

mightymanx

Idaho motor pool in Frendship ID up the road from you (Exit 3) has the shields they have a few 109 boxes to store parts in they had the shields on them last time I was there about a month ago.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am impressed, I aspire to have a truck like that to renovate, great bug out MV if fitted right.

Congrats..

BillIdaho

Check out our club, Idaho Military Vehicle Preservation Association. Call Alex at Idaho Motor Pool. BTW, he's got parts, and I mean parts!

Welcome from Caldwell.

BadMastard

Welcome to the party! Yep, call alex. He rescued us again last night with a replacement alternator. I have decided I'm not going to drive from SLC to Seattle anymore, every time one of my MV's get's close to alex, it breaks. I think they just like hanging out with his herd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks