• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, New M52A2 Owner Questions

Hkx3

OK tried calling Gulfway. No answer. Hagerty isnt that far off, its just having to pay for 12mos. Thats irritating. I really would only need a few months of coverage a year? Probably wont work out that way though.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have two deuces insured with American Collectors out of Jersey.
When I called about adding my M52 tractor they said they didn't insure tractors.
I didn't even ask about the wrecker.
I am searching for insurance now too.
I'll let you know if I find someone reasonable.
I am considering getting a dealers license since I flip a lot of trucks.
If I do that I understand I can insure anything I have under a blanket policy.
May not be cheap but it is a write-off.

Hkx3

OK so I found the source of my 'rattle' and misbehaving of the transfer range lever...

Someone lost the clevis pin or bolt from the front of the t case linkage, and apparently electrical taped a metric bolt in place, with no nut. LOL

The ratcheting I was hearing was the linkage rubbing the bolts on the driveline coupler underneath the shifter.

Here are 2 more pics:

Attachments

madsam

I use gulfway and have a wrecker. Call it a collector truck. About 120/year. Sometimes they are hard to get a hold of, but they did good by me. And that is full coverage, not that I needed it.

I also just registered mine yesterday. First they said I had to go with commercial, 500/year, but I had a paper on collector registration from Colorado regulations. After 3 hours, we finally got it down to 65/year. Not to bad. Probably your state has that too. I would check with someone from Kentucky.

Don't know about your truck. Mine is the 800 series. But mine does click in reverse some times. It is my experience that these truck are hard, not imposable, to hurt. they were made to have 19 year old soldiers drive them. And they rattle and bang down the road. I jumped in mine and drove 1200 miles... I would check all fluids though.

Hkx3

Well the clicking is all good now...just needed a bolt to get the dang linkage for the shifter up off the driveline... ;)

Im calling hagerty today myself, instead of going through my insurance agent. Maybe I can get something going on a little cheaper.

Gulfway has taken 3 days to do nothing...makes me wonder at this point?

ida34

One thing not brought up is the fact that there is no way it is a 92. The M39 series is the series that spawned the M52. The M52a2 is the last in the line before the 800 series started replacing them in the early 70's. I am not sure when they stopped making them but it would be safe to say in the 70's. You need to try to find the correct year for your truck before you get insurance or plates.

davidkroberts

i live in tennessee and have state farm insurance. as far as licensing you basically have two routes without a CDL. historic tags and farm plates. in tennessee that works anyway. i got a pretty good quote from Gulfway but all my other vehicles are insured through state farm so i just kept it in the family.

pa.rich

I am new to these too, but I doubt that it could be in a different range. Dont see how thats possible. Were you driving straight or on a turn. They will do that on a turn. And about the insurance, varies from state to state. I am in Pa. Gulfway was most cooperative and didnt require a garage. And if you dont intend to carry a load on her, get the historic plate. Here its a onetime fee of $75.00 but limits are put on the use of the truck. And no inspection required. I am hoping to haul loads of sand, gravel and soil, so I am getting the truck plates. Insurance will be higher too, but then I can haul with her.The CDL is not needed on these unless you intend to go over the 26,000 ib gvw, or pull a heavy trailer and equipment.With the hydraulic/air assist brakes, no cdl needed.Some ins co will want enclosed ,lockable garage. Others dont. You have to spend some time calling around. And I think that has to be done before you get a registration.In pa. that is. And yes check all the fluids first.

Hkx3

Ok so the wait begins. Hagerty tells me that it may be up to 5 days before my 'application' is approved; cant transfer until its all cleared and I can present an insurance card to them at the court house annex.

Anywho, could someone please point my mouse to the book/refmat that tells me the lube points/check proc. for this ol' girl?

I see grease fittin's all over this thing. Im assuming pump about 4-5 squirts per zerk?

Thanks a lot.

And let me know, and Ill move this to a more appropriate forum. Im wanting to go on a 'tour' sometime soon to the nearby town, and want all the fluids to be 10-8 before I set out.

TYIA
hkx3

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As ida34 said, There's no way it's a 1992. It's atleast 20 years older than that.

As for insurance, I insured my deuce for $150 a year through Farm Bureau. I'm sure a 5-ton would be more though.

Hkx3

m16ty said:
As ida34 said, There's no way it's a 1992. It's atleast 20 years older than that.
And as I said, Im not worried about it. The dash plates say 92, the title says 92, so as far as the state is concerned, its a 92. I dont care if it was made in 1932. I just dont want to go down the road with the DMV about switching the year based off something that doesnt matter in the first place?

I may be wrong, but it seems best to have easily identifiable, easily verifiable info available to anyone who should want/need to look. Now when Im talking to ppl about it, I just say, its old, and let it go.

tmbrwolf

Normally there are a set of air valves on the transmission that shift the two sprag units inside the transmission, those valves were problematic at times, my guess is that the PO had a problem with the tranny mounted set and jury rigged a dash mounted switch.
A sprag is an "overrunning clutch" and can turn in only one direction, if your scrubbing the tires sounds like the sprag may be locking up, I.E. driving forward with the reverse sprag engaged.