• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, New truck and A Trans Question

Carrera911

Hello all, I've been lurking this site for about almost 4 months during my EUC wait and now have 2 HMMWVs. I towed one back on a Uhaul galvanized trailer and it WILL NOT fit without unbolting the fender. Anyway, towed it home behind my H2 from Montgomery to Atlanta. I've gotten most the basic items taken care of with the exception of the trans. It shifts fine through all the gears, only it goes 1-2 at ~5 mph and 2-3~ 25mph at WOT. These are only approximations but it seems to shift way too early. Also the kickdown doesn't work at at all and lugs the engine up hills at 30 in 3rd. All the gears shift fine manually. I think it has to do with the shift point adjustment but can't seem to find anything in the TMs or on here.
Anyway, thanks for any help, this site has been a great resource and will continue to be while I put a turbo 6.5/ 4spd takeout into my other non runner.

IMG_2874[1].jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, I've been lurking this site for about almost 4 months during my EUC wait and now have 2 HMMWVs. I towed one back on a Uhaul galvanized trailer and it WILL NOT fit without unbolting the fender. Anyway, towed it home behind my H2 from Montgomery to Atlanta. I've gotten most the basic items taken care of with the exception of the trans. It shifts fine through all the gears, only it goes 1-2 at ~5 mph and 2-3~ 25mph at WOT. These are only approximations but it seems to shift way too early. Also the kickdown doesn't work at at all and lugs the engine up hills at 30 in 3rd. All the gears shift fine manually. I think it has to do with the shift point adjustment but can't seem to find anything in the TMs or on here.
Anyway, thanks for any help, this site has been a great resource and will continue to be while I put a turbo 6.5/ 4spd takeout into my other non runner.

View attachment 643564

these trucks are not speed demons...so even once you get it dialed in, don't expect miracles.
not sure if you have ever driven a HMMWV before you bid and bought...the shifting pattern is normal.

Carrera911

Thanks for the input, I got around to some diagnosing just using past experience and found that the throttle cable had too much slack. Adjusted it so now the pedal has no play and goes far enough to engage the kickdown switch. It holds gears long enough to stay in the power band and downshifts when needed. That plus the throttle actually opening 100% gives this truck pretty decent acceleration for what it is.

Last problem to sort out now is the oil pressure gauge. On cold starts it idles at 15psi and then 10psi warm. The problem is that it never goes over 20, maybe 25 even at high RPM. I went through the TM and verified the gauge responds correctly to grounding the signal and open circuit. I would just replace the sending unit only it's brand new and shiny so someone has been through this recently.(Probably November 2014 when this truck was overhauled). Autozone doesn't rent test gauges and Harbor Freight is an hour away so its gonna be a pain to find a test gauge.

Is it possible the pressure is that low at 28k with a fresh oil change?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sure don't want her to kick down at highway speeds so be careful with that. These things shift early as they make full torque at 2K. Oil pressure seems low but maybe the gauge is bad. Mine is the other way 60 to 70 PSI at idle and pegged 120+ off idle so my gauge is off. I am installing a tach in mine so I know what she is running.

Good luck with the ride.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks