• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, new truck

D'cheat

m139h2otruck said:
Having worked on these trucks for the last 2 years, the most important thing I can warn you about is the size and weight of the various components! The rear hubs w/ brake drums take two men to remove and replace without a crane. The engines weigh over 2,000# w/o the transmissions and the transfer case (our next problem) has to weigh at least 800# and needs the truck to be jacked up if removed from the bottom.

We thought about cutting the spare M139 down to a 4x4 with gas power, but after looking things over, one of the other shorter trucks would be a lot easier. Not trying to be a sour apple, just be careful and forewarned.
wow. o_O
You are in no way a sour apple. This is great information to know. I thank you very much for the warning about the heft of our trucks.

Recovry4x4, gearing also has allot to do with it. I have seen unimog 404's pull some very, very heavy loads. All be it very, very slowly. 600+ ci. of engine helps out a hell'of a lot on our ends though :D

You know, i just read the replies to this thread again. One thing appears over and over.
I can see by all the replies here that this community has a great love for these trucks. And you may well never forgive me if I take a torch to this near perfect example of a bridge truck.
So, Ill go ahead and bring it to running and highway driving condition and offer it for a trade. Heh, anybody have a tractor that they want to trade :wink:
It is a bunch of work to make it the way I want it to be. It is ashame to ruin a perfect example of our heritage.

d'cheat