• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member & New Truck

teteacher101

Ok, thank you so much Wire. I am totally new to this vehicle and everything.
I watched a couple of videos on youtube of changing rear end components and it looks straight forward enough.
I have no idea what the TM is or where to find it, I bet its a tech manual and is in the resources section.
Ok, I will check the bolts and give it a once over tomorrow before work.
I am dying to crack into this beast but, work gets in the way haha.
Thank you guys for the help.
I will keep the thread updated as things progress.[/QUOT

Welcome and congrats on your purchase! I live in WI, about 2.5 hours East of the Twin Cities, and I used to live an went to college in the Twin Cities also. I'm still a hike from you but if you have any specific questions or were in the area I'd be more than happy to help. The guys here have been a wealth of knowledge for me an I'd be happy to return the favor. Just shoot me a pm for my phone number if you would like.

DLJIII

Replacing the alternator today and it has been a beast. Power steering unit had to come off, broke a bolt, upgrade 200amp alternator adapter kit didnt include long base mounting bolt or pulley shaft bolt. Going to finish it tonight if it kills us, any suggestions or areas of concern for wiring and final installation?

General Hood

Hello Everyone,
I have had a draw to humvees for a long time but, I never took it seriously enough to consider buying one.
Honestly, I never thought it was possible.
Well, today I bought one.
1987 HMMWV 998, 31,000 miles, soft top, four door, soft door, canvas cargo cover.
Road legal title, tuned up and well serviced recently.
The truck was a national guard depot truck issued specifically for a LT. WARD.
New LED headlights, new crew and cargo cover, professional serving and overhauling or major systems.
It runs great, feels great and served me very well on my first drive ever three hour drive home.
I will post pictures below but, I paid $13,500 for it.

Now, I have a few questions and I am sure they are very stupid questions.
This is a chance for everyone to share their wisdom, experience and passions with me.

Every once in a while the engine will increase RPMs and the volt indicator will hit red line.
I am assuming that is the engine charging the batteries but, am I right and how often should this process occur?

A few times at low rates of speed 5-10mph with a turn or slight direction change, I could hear a loud thumping sound coming from the rear drivers side tire.
My first guess is a U joint but, I could be wrong. If it is, will the repair be major or minor and is it costly or not too bad?

How big is my gas tank and what type of mileage can I expect? The guy I bought it from put $10 about 2.5 gallons in and I topped it off not long after with about 11 gallons. It covered about 180 miles and the gauge shows about 1/3rd of a tank. I have to assume this is completely wrong, two thirds of 13 or 14 gallons pushing 7,700lbs 180 miles. Does type 1 or type 2 go go juice work best?

Can the cross bar behind the drivers seat be removed? I would like to mount the seat a little further back, I can beef it up and replace the structural properties of the arm. I can rivet, weld, bond and fabricate what I need to make up for any losses there.

What kind of converter / inverter is best for creating an additional 12v system from the 24v system? I plan to install some basic electronics but, they are all 12v. So, I need to establish a 12v system first.

Ok now this one I am dying to hear.

What upgrades are a must?
What should I do?

I am not a mechanic but, I have converted an old school bus into an off the grid home and wired up enough crown vics in the middle of the night to feel comfortable fabricating what I need, deconstructing everything else and wiring things back together. Plus the most important part of experience, knowing when I need to hire it out.

Thanks, here are a couple of pictures.

View attachment 672381View attachment 672382View attachment 672383View attachment 672384View attachment 672385View attachment 672386View attachment 672387
Welcome to SS from SE OK

daniel.7575

Hello Everyone,
I have had a draw to humvees for a long time but, I never took it seriously enough to consider buying one.
Honestly, I never thought it was possible.
Well, today I bought one.
1987 HMMWV 998, 31,000 miles, soft top, four door, soft door, canvas cargo cover.
Road legal title, tuned up and well serviced recently.
The truck was a national guard depot truck issued specifically for a LT. WARD.
New LED headlights, new crew and cargo cover, professional serving and overhauling or major systems.
It runs great, feels great and served me very well on my first drive ever three hour drive home.
I will post pictures below but, I paid $13,500 for it.

Now, I have a few questions and I am sure they are very stupid questions.
This is a chance for everyone to share their wisdom, experience and passions with me.

Every once in a while the engine will increase RPMs and the volt indicator will hit red line.
I am assuming that is the engine charging the batteries but, am I right and how often should this process occur?

A few times at low rates of speed 5-10mph with a turn or slight direction change, I could hear a loud thumping sound coming from the rear drivers side tire.
My first guess is a U joint but, I could be wrong. If it is, will the repair be major or minor and is it costly or not too bad?

How big is my gas tank and what type of mileage can I expect? The guy I bought it from put $10 about 2.5 gallons in and I topped it off not long after with about 11 gallons. It covered about 180 miles and the gauge shows about 1/3rd of a tank. I have to assume this is completely wrong, two thirds of 13 or 14 gallons pushing 7,700lbs 180 miles. Does type 1 or type 2 go go juice work best?

Can the cross bar behind the drivers seat be removed? I would like to mount the seat a little further back, I can beef it up and replace the structural properties of the arm. I can rivet, weld, bond and fabricate what I need to make up for any losses there.

What kind of converter / inverter is best for creating an additional 12v system from the 24v system? I plan to install some basic electronics but, they are all 12v. So, I need to establish a 12v system first.

Ok now this one I am dying to hear.

What upgrades are a must?
What should I do?

I am not a mechanic but, I have converted an old school bus into an off the grid home and wired up enough crown vics in the middle of the night to feel comfortable fabricating what I need, deconstructing everything else and wiring things back together. Plus the most important part of experience, knowing when I need to hire it out.

Thanks, here are a couple of pictures.

View attachment 672381View attachment 672382View attachment 672383View attachment 672384View attachment 672385View attachment 672386View attachment 672387
Hi there DLJIII

Welcome to the site from the UK! I am fairly new to the HMMWV and this site is THE place to learn about your truck.. I find it fascinating reading about other peoples issues and fixes, even if you haven't experienced certain problems (though I'm sure they'll come up) it's a great heads up on preventing a lot of problems! The sticky threads at the top of HMMWV section list EVERYTHING you need to check on your truck to make sure it's safe to use on the road, parts I never even new existed.. Enjoy!