• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member - Texas

Palmetto

Hello Everyone! Thanks mods for approving my account. My sons (13 & 9) & I just picked up our first MV (M109A4). Not sure of the year model, but from what I have learned here is that it was an M35A3 fitted as a van. We are super exited, and have really enjoyed working on this thing so far. Here is a bit of our journey so far....

The previous owner had let this truck sit for about 3 years. We had some challenges, but we got it running fairly easily IMO.
some of the issues:
-a racoon had taken residence under the hood. multiple chewed air lines that we had to figure out where they went.
-4 flat super singles. they had been sitting flat on the concrete for awhile. broke those down, and changed orings/grommets & tires.
-50 gallons of bad fuel. the truck would run, but there was algae/growth on the bottom by the pickup tube. drained the "lemonade", and cleaned the tank.
-locked up brakes. got it rolling, but still haven't figured that one out. Think it's the plunger.
-leaking heater core on the floor board. bypassed it.

Part of the deal on the truck was the PO wanted to keep the van body. He offered us a newer trailer bed (I don't know the model, but I think its the LMTV type) for our truck. Since the plan is for this to be a ranch truck, a flat bed will be perfect. Luckily the new bed frame runners are only 1/2" wider than the A3 frame. Should be easy enough to fit. We currently have the new bed seperated from the trailer, and ready to fit on the truck.

Sorry for the long read. Pics to come!

Phillip

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello Everyone! Thanks mods for approving my account. My sons (13 & 9) & I just picked up our first MV (M109A4). Not sure of the year model, but from what I have learned here is that it was an M35A3 fitted as a van. We are super exited, and have really enjoyed working on this thing so far. Here is a bit of our journey so far....

The previous owner had let this truck sit for about 3 years. We had some challenges, but we got it running fairly easily IMO.
some of the issues:
-a racoon had taken residence under the hood. multiple chewed air lines that we had to figure out where they went.
-4 flat super singles. they had been sitting flat on the concrete for awhile. broke those down, and changed orings/grommets & tires.
-50 gallons of bad fuel. the truck would run, but there was algae/growth on the bottom by the pickup tube. drained the "lemonade", and cleaned the tank.
-locked up brakes. got it rolling, but still haven't figured that one out. Think it's the plunger.
-leaking heater core on the floor board. bypassed it.

Part of the deal on the truck was the PO wanted to keep the van body. He offered us a newer trailer bed (I don't know the model, but I think its the LMTV type) for our truck. Since the plan is for this to be a ranch truck, a flat bed will be perfect. Luckily the new bed frame runners are only 1/2" wider than the A3 frame. Should be easy enough to fit. We currently have the new bed seperated from the trailer, and ready to fit on the truck.

Sorry for the long read. Pics to come!

Phillip
Hi Phillip,

Welcome to the Outfit!

Post us up some pictures. You will enjoy being able to see your new-to-you truck as it grows into what you want it to be. I can guarantee you that your boys will enjoy riding in and turning wrenches with old dad...

We have a TM (Technical Manuals) section that will help you know how to troubleshoot and find part numbers. Based on your writeup, a M109A4 should be a Deuce so that will be the books you want to get. Without the box, you will have a speedy little truck too...

Welcome to the group and looking forward to pictures!

Tim

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. First time I saw it
2. Breaking down flat tires
3. My 13yr old son after mounting the first 2 "new" tires. We were wore out!
4. Got it home with no bed. 9yr old washing windows
5. Another shot with the donor trailer.
6. Bed removed from donor trailer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Neat!! I see you even have a crew of supervisor dogs as part of the group. Good looking rig.

chucky

1. First time I saw it
2. Breaking down flat tires
3. My 13yr old son after mounting the first 2 "new" tires. We were wore out!
4. Got it home with no bed. 9yr old washing windows
5. Another shot with the donor trailer.
6. Bed removed from donor trailer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Will you be keeping the donor trailer chassis (m-1082) ? It could really be useful later on and easy to tack a homeade floor on the chassis ! Welcome aboard ! And dont let them younguns do any sanding on this military stuff without wearing a good respirator in case you didnt already know this carc paint airborne is bad bad ju ju in the lungs !

ToddJK

Welcome to the site! Imo, it's a good community here. Congrats on the new to you truck. These deuce and a half a are definitely some capable machines when put to work. Don't forget, you can download the TM'S here which is like a Hanes manual if you remember those, definitely worth having imo. If you run into any issues, be sure to use the search function first or Google the issue ending with steel soldiers and read any related threads, it's possible you'll find your answer. Keep us updated with the build, it's always awesome to see these projects turn out as people put their own unique twist into it.

Guyfang

Staff member
The only dumb question, is the question not asked. So if you cant find it in the books or old threads, well, as Grandpa used to say, "Shoot Luke, the geese is full of Air". Where is South East Texas? My folks came from Wills Point. That's the town that ran Chucky out on a rail!

chucky

The only dumb question, is the question not asked. So if you cant find it in the books or old threads, well, as Grandpa used to say, "Shoot Luke, the geese is full of Air". Where is South East Texas? My folks came from Wills Point. That's the town that ran Chucky out on a rail!
Dont pay any attention to this one ! They wanted me to be Mayor ! And they use his picture to this day to warn what could happen without contraception in the local high schools !

Palmetto

Where is South East Texas? My folks came from Wills Point. That's the town that ran Chucky out on a rail!
Well, it's not really south, not really east.....kinda south-east area LOL. I am down about 30 minutes from the coast in Brazoria County, which is about 1 hour SW of Houston.

I know where Wills Point is. Never been there, but will be headed to Lake Tawakoni mid June for a camping/fishing trip.

chucky

Well, it's not really south, not really east.....kinda south-east area LOL. I am down about 30 minutes from the coast in Brazoria County, which is about 1 hour SW of Houston.

I know where Wills Point is. Never been there, but will be headed to Lake Tawakoni mid June for a camping/fishing trip.
I lived in white deer on the shore of LAKE TAWAKONI and i miss it just a few miles out of Wills Point ! You should plan your trip to where your there during (FIRST MONDAY ) in CANTON the worlds largest flea mkt just south of I-20 on 19 on your right its huge takes 2 days but its worth it it really gets cranked up the thursday before the first monday of the month !

chucky

When i was young and handsome (80s) i use to go to the phillips 66 old ocean / sweeny refinery hauling catalyst in pneumatic tankers and then go to bay city to get washed out so i think were pretty close ! Small world !

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I lived in white deer on the shore of LAKE TAWAKONI and i miss it just a few miles out of Wills Point ! You should plan your trip to where your there during (FIRST MONDAY ) in CANTON the worlds largest flea mkt just south of I-20 on 19 on your right its huge takes 2 days but its worth it it really gets cranked up the thursday before the first monday of the month !

Some great fishing on Tawakoni! Spent a many a day and some nights out there.

And Chucky is dead right about First Monday. There is NOTHING like it anywhere in the world. The first time I went was in 1964-65. It was literally held in town back then, and it took several hours to see it all. One street not far from the old city hall was called Dog Town. Nothing but dogs to buy,sell and trade. I was 10 and loved it. The last time was in 2015, I think. Its like entering a small city. Easy to get lost, and anything you want, its in there, at least twice. Well worth spending a day wondering around, and eating some great BBQ!