• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, wondering what to look for!

Alabama Mike

Greetings one and all, I'm a new member to the site, I signed up because I have just bought a M1009. I bought it from an EMA in Tennessee, I went and picked it up on a trailer, My question is I was told this truck has sat up for well over a year, I've replace the fuel filter, drained the tank and refilled with fresh fuel, what else if anything do I need to check out before I start driving this thing regularly?

Thanks,
Mike

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the Tech Manuals? Read thru the stickies in thE Cucv forum?

Double check your batteries. Check for any "additional" wiring that has been added.

Don't use ether if at all possible. If so make sure the glowplugs are nonfuctional. You can blowup the engine.

Alabama Mike

I have copies of the tech manuals, and have read though them, the batteries are brand new, the old ones were stolen while the vehicle sat. Gotta ya on the either, either+glow plugs=bad. I've pulled all the wheels and checked the brakes, I was reading on here the other night about some kinda brake mod? or something to do with the brakes, but now I can't find that post again. I haven't found any "additional" wiring", Old truck seems to be in good shape, I was told the EMA only used it during snow or inclement weather, and it sat a lot when it wasn't needed. I guess I just want to make sure I've covered all my bases before I get out away from the house and it quits because of some minor thing I didn't know about.

Thanks
Mike

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you bled the fuel system after changing the filter?

An easy way to do it is to remove the glowplugs and then crank the engine. Remove the pink wire from the top of the IP first.

There has been many threads on bleeding the system.

cpf240

If the truck is still in its stock 12/24v form, do the doghead relay mod, and look into the 12v bypass for the glow plugs.

Clean every electrical connection you come across.

Check fuel and vacuum lines for rot/cracks. Lots of headaches from air leaks can be solved by inspecting and replacing them as needed.

Check the starter mounting bolts to be sure they are tight. While there, make sure the starter support bracket is there and connected.

Inspect the harmonic balancer for cracks, bulging and shrinkage of the rubber. Examine the steering pump mounting bracket as best you can, as they are known to crack.

Have fun!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy. :cookoo:

There are a bunch of us in the "Alabama MV Mafia".

The MVPA convention is in Huntsville this year......next month.....you might consider joining the Dixie Division of the MVPA and coming to some of the rallys.

The best Steelsoldiers MV rally in the country is the GA Rally held in Union Point, GA in Oct.

Be there or be square.

Here's a pic of my little truck.

Attachments

rbeasley66

I had electrolysis corrosion in my M1009 cooling system, the heater core was leaking and the radiator was corroded so bad it had to be replaced. Do agod flush, run some cleaner, and after another good flush install new antifreeze.
Welcome to the World of Green :mrgreen:

Alabama Mike

Thanks all, Gonna finish going over everything today, and start driving it. Wreckerman where can I get a little more info on the MVPA meeting in huntsville at?