• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP 003A owner

s011883

Hello

I'm the new guy and just bought a 1987 MEP 003a generator and can't wait to see the girl run. However, when I bought the unit, I did not notice the control board that is behind the instrument panel that is mounted to the left side was missing. My question is, does anybody have one or know the best place to find one?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! Best bet is to read some of the MEP posts, and familiarize yourself some. You will find your parts here, and also the help you need to get her running in style. There is quite a MEP following. Somebody will probably chime in soon. Be sure to find and down load the Manuals, before asking too many questions. Find Speddmon's post - he has the Tech Manuals posted right under his name. Couldn't be easier!

Again, Welcome!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on everything Rosco said. Try Delks for your missing part. Delk's Army Navy Surplus_Home 336-629-0991 Once you get it running do not let the engine idle. Idling the engine will damage the voltage regulator. Shut it down at normal operating speed for 60 hz. These are great units.

Isaac-1

If your talking about the circuit board that is behind the hour meter / battery gauge part of the control panel that is the AV voltage regulator board that is missing, not the control board.

Ike

p.s. if it is the voltage regulator board, you should be aware that voltage regulators from MEP-003'a as well as their 400 Hz cousins will work in the MEP-002a, but boards from the MEP-002a and the 400HZ MEP-112a will quickly burn out if used in the MEP-003A due to their higher current demand

Last edited:

s011883

MEP 003A update on parts

I called Delk's today and they had a used voltage regulator for $175. I purchased it along with a new fuel gauge. I just want to say thanks for all the help and I should have her running by next week.

s011883

MEP 003a Running strong!

Just wanted to tell everyone that I started up my generator this weekend. It sputtered for a few seconds and then took right off. I do have to say these generators are well built machines. I load tested it to 75% and it didn't even blink. The only thing I have to finish up is cleaning the rust out of the fuel tank. I'm currently using Evapo-Rust and it is working slowly. Question: is there anything better out there? Thanks!

Keith_J

I used Prep N Etch, a phosphoric acid product. I also removed the cap boss/frame by desoldering and drilling out the rivets. My tank had several pinholes needing weld repair . Copper pull rivets and fresh solder finished put it back together, a coating of the POR stuff finished it right.

After a year, I can still shine a flash light in the full tank and see the bottom. No rust, no dirt.

I've tried Evaporust. While it works, it is slow and doesn't have much capacity. I can get a gallon of phosphoric for what a quart of Evaporust costs.

Triple Jim

Caswell's phenolic epoxy tank liner may be the best one to use if you need a liner. They call it "Phenol Novolac". The guys on the Kawasaki triples forums have used about all the liners available on the 40 year old tanks, and Caswell's seems to be the most resistant to modern oddball fuels. It's thicker than the solvent-based liners, and makes a nice, thick lining.

Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer - Restoration Aids - Caswell Inc

helomedic1171

p.s. if it is the voltage regulator board, you should be aware that voltage regulators from MEP-003'a as well as their 400 Hz cousins will work in the MEP-002a, but boards from the MEP-002a and the 400HZ MEP-112a will quickly burn out if used in the MEP-003A due to their higher current demand
Is there a way to upgrade the 002 board to handle the load from an 003? if not I suppose I will need to go find an 003 board...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks