• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP-003's

dangier

Scored two 003's from CL yesterday in NJ. One complete and one missing couple of gauges and main breaker. 5 hour trip but worth it. 200 and 900 hours shown, 200 hour one was a reset.

Now the fun begins.... :-D

David

Chrispyny

6 bills for the pair. They are still on the trailer under the snow. Maybe get them off tomorrow with pics.
David
Thats incredible. I'm always surfing clist. I never saw any pairs of mep003's for sale. You must have sniped them quick. Thats an insane price. Congrats. Why can't i ever stumble onto something like that !

dangier

One had actually been advertised on CL since last may in South Jersey. Was renewed every 6 weeks or so. Their mail relay did not work. Replied many times-thought it was someone pfishing. I happened on it when the original poster had just added his phone number last wednesday. Called it and no one else had. Bought the advertised one and another on site.
David

Last edited by a moderator:

dangier

You can see the pictures that were posted in the link below. It show up as the first ad. "Used diesel generator 10 kw". It is under a Feb 4th posting date.
David

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimc

you know i must have sent a mail to that guy 50 times and no reply. i was trying to get those things forever. i eventually figured it was a bs add. oh well, atleast someone from here got them. keep us posted.

dangier

Thanks! The poster said that he tried to contact CL and never received a response. I must have sent him 30 to 40 e-mails myself. Bet his mailbox is full....

David

Ray70

Wow, what a score! [thumbzup] Had a similar situation a while ago with an 002A in CT for $350. No phone number in the CL ad and he never replied to my e-mails. I even went as far a posting my own ad looking to get the guy to contact me, but no luck. Eventually his ad expired.... and that was the end of that..... Good luck with them, keep us posted!

Jimc

haha i did the same thing with this guy ray. i posted an add hoping he would notice and contact me but obviously that didnt work since dangier has got them now. def a nice score. looks like they need some gauges and knobs. i swear i saw those for sale somewhere before.:whistle:

dangier

Started looking things over today after unloading and getting the units onto pallets in the garage. Of coarse, the ip drive washer is broken with the pump froze up on the first one. Tore down and soaked everything in paint thinner. Anyone have a couple of spare drive washers they wish to sell?

The newer 003 ('89), has a spotless fuel tank-looks like it never had fuel in it. The other unit ('84), has a 5 kw fuel tank on it full of gunk. Guess I will use the older one as a donor right now (it also has broken motor mounts on the genny end).

Anyone have any tricks on loosening the line nuts on the injector return lines. Broke my flare nut wrench and a standard open end just rounds off the nuts. Tried a little heat and pb blaster. No go-very tight.

David

Jimc

i have gotten my bowtie washers for the ip and rubber mounts from gimpy. you can also get the washers right from ambach if he is out or maybe try jerry. the fuel lines can be tough. i dont even go near them with anything but a line wrench. once they are rounded over its almost impossible to get them out. i just end up cutting the line and replacing. you can get some NOS ones on fleabay of you search around. dont quote me but i believe its just regular brake line you can get right at napa. its kinda bass ackwards that on the 002 they have a big rubber bumper to keep from tearing the rubber mounts but on the 003 they put nothing. the gen end is always where they are broken.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I still have parts. Get a list and let me know when your ready.

SMOKIN score on those gensets!

Edit, I have found that if you can get one of the OLD wrenches, that has a LOT of meat around the open end, they are stronger than the current manufacture line wrenches. Also! I have found that keeping even pressure on a wrench and tapping it with a small 6oz hammer with knock the rust loose. You might have to tap it 30-50 times, but it WILL work.

It has been explained to me like how a hammer drill works. The small taps work wonders. I have done this with 5tons, deuces, welders, and MEPs. You might even try a different size hammer as the pitch will change and have a better effect.

Last edited:

dangier

Gimpy-Got the fittings out of the injectors with little marring of the surfaces. Think I can reuse them. Going to need gauges, but haven't decided whether I want analog or Jim's digital. That's for later. Using one genny for parts and trying to get the best of one unit for now.
I do need a couple of plunger guides right now-want to get the pumps back together. Is that something you have?
Thanks,
David

Gimpy-Found the spare plunger guide that you sent last time. Will let you know when I need parts.
Thanks,
David

Last edited:

Ray70

David, I have 2 of the OEM full glass face ruggedized HZ meters that I don't really need anymore because I have 2 dead HZ transducers. If you decide to go with OEM analog gages I'll sell you one and use the money to get myself a digital one from Jim to fix my 2nd machine with a bad transducer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks