• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP 1040 10KW

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I picked up one of the MEP 1040 GenSets at the recent USMC Albany sale on GovPlanet. I think the batteries might be shot but I jumped it with 24v and it fired right up. The meter reads 8 hours but I don’t think this one was ever issued. It still has all the new tags on it.

I plan to use this at a remote homestead. It should be plenty of power for everything I need to do. I like the fact that it can produce 3 phase if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

I picked up one of the MEP 1040 GenSets at the recent USMC Albany sale on GovPlanet. I think the batteries might be shot but I jumped it with 24v and it fired right up. The meter reads 8 hours but I don’t think this one was ever issued. It still has all the new tags on it.

I plan to use this at a remote homestead. It should be plenty of power for everything I need to do. I like the fact that it can produce 3 phase if necessary.

Nice looking hardware!!
Welcome to the Outfit too.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try charging those batteries with an AGM charger , just make sure you don't go over 14.3 V before Is the charger cycles and And comes backup again to 14.3 V and you might get them to recover.
also Don't let the batteries Is get hot,

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try charging those batteries with an AGM charger , just make sure you don't go over 14.3 V before Is the charger cycles and And comes backup again to 14.3 V and you might get them to recover.
also Don't let the batteries Is get hot,

Good luck

I did my best to bring back the OEM Optima batteries but no joy. I used a quality battery charger that has a AGM setting. It looks like I will replace them with new AGM batteries.

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did my best to bring back the OEM Optima batteries but no joy. I used a quality battery charger that has a AGM setting. It looks like I will replace them with new AGM batteries.

I stuck a couple 51R's I found at Tractor Supply in my 1040. I use a NOCO 2x5 to keep em topped off. I couldn't stomach paying for new AGM batteries.

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time out. How many volts show on each Optima battery.
5.71v in one and 3.64v in the other. Note, this is after being on the AGM charger for 12 hours. The charger indicated “Bad Battery” on the one with 3.64v after completing the charging cycle.

Guyfang

Staff member
Try this. Take a battery, hook it up in parallel to the "bad" battery. I use a set of normal jumper cables. Then hook up your charger to the bad battery. When a charger seances that a battery has extrem low volts, it "decides" that the battery is no good. Let the batteries charge several hours. That way the charger sees that the battery is not totally drained, and will start to try and recover it. Then remove the extra battery. Will not always work, but very often it will. I just saved the guy next door the price of a new battery, by doing just that. GEL and AGM batteries often react like this.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have charged AGM batteries with a manual charger. just have to watch the voltage make sure that it doesn't go over 14.8 or 15 volts and not get hot. let it continue to run but not hot and not over the 14.8 or 15 V. if you can achieve it it might come back on the regular charger if not it's a dud

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tip for using a strong battery in parallel with the discharged AGM in the charger setup. Attached please find a pic of the setup I am using.

I looked at the NOCO charger website and they look like the Cadillac of battery chargers. I might have to add one to my Christmas list. ;)

My USMC surplus KalMar RT uses the Hawker batteries, which are also not taking a charge. I will try the strong battery in parallel method of charging on those too. Can’t hurt, especially when the replacement options for all these batteries are expensive.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I replied in number 14 I brought 3 hawkers back with a manual charger that wayou'll charge her that way Tuesday is Tuesday 10 app charger watching boltage and heat constantly

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate auto correct.
I brought back 3 hawkers with the manual process watching heat and voltage. Used a 10 Amp manual charger

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate auto correct.
I brought back 3 hawkers with the manual process watching heat and voltage. Used a 10 Amp manual charger

I hate auto correct.

Thanks again for all your help. The first Optima was at 5.7v when I started the ‘Strong Battery in Parallel’ charging method. My charger has run through a couple of charging cycles but the voltage in the Optima now reads 10.2v so things are moving in the right direction. The charger seems to be adding voltage slowly, which I would imagine is a good thing when restoring a dead batter.

I also ordered a NOCO GeniusPro25 charger. The NOCO tech support seemed to believe this charger would be a good fit for the Hawker, Optima and other batteries I would like to charge. My collection of equipment that uses batteries is increasing so having a high quality charger should be a good investment. By the way, NOCO provides a 35% discount for military members if you call their help line. :)

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have a Noco 27000
I thought it would do a good job it still needs to be watched. I had a hawker boil over with it on there. ruin the battery. so it's still a watching thing, keep your eye on things. no heat, voltage on the Noco should cycle in AGM setting when it hits 15.2 v and then step down.
It only happened on the one hawker I use it a lot 24 V system no problem aweso used a battery minder with good results.
The hawkers I brought back from 3 V

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks