• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Navy Destroyer

TehTDK

I read the articles etc and its informative, and does list some valid concerns. The problem however, with the DF-21D is basically that its course correction abilities are "limited" to a certain degree that it seriously hampers the ability for the missile to actually carry that many warheads due to size and whatnot. But the RDN (Royal Danish Navy) newest 3 frigates are actually "armed" with a full AA suite etc with a rather advanced radar array against airborne threats and what not. According to what I can gather on the wire they should be the most state-of-the-art ships of the worlds today in regards to production and the hardware they carry on board. But obviously doesn't carry the firepower of an old WW2 Battlecruiser etc :p. And the Australians are building a number of them as well, perhaps not the exact same ship, but ships of comparable types that can fitted as they are needed.

So I would think a combined NATO strikeforce would stand a fair chance of knowing such a missile was launched if it ever happened and then either start steaming out of the way or deploy adequate countermeasures. But only one way to truly know and that is a direction I hope we never head into. Because just look at wargames, no one wins a nuclear war per say.

@Peashooter

I thought the Arleigh Burke class was outdated by our present standards and some newer destroyer blood might be needed?. Unless they are talking about using the Arleigh Burke frame and then outfitting it with recent and up-to-date electronics etc?. But I have always wondering why the americans never seemed to buy into the StanFlex concept since that would make more or less any fleet more versatile etc. StanFlex is basically a "standard" that outfits ships with hardpoints, like on a fighter, and these hardpoints can be outfitted as pr mission profile by dropping in a new module. So for instance an Arleigh Burke could be outfitted with an AA pod, Missile Shield pod, ASW Pod and so on, depending on its present assignment. Problem that be is that if the mission changes midway you are sorta stuck with the things on board, but you are anyway if all the gear is hardfitted to the ship.

But I figure its down to philosophy and what you really want.

peashooter

@Peashooter

I thought the Arleigh Burke class was outdated by our present standards and some newer destroyer blood might be needed?. Unless they are talking about using the Arleigh Burke frame and then outfitting it with recent and up-to-date electronics etc?. But I have always wondering why the americans never seemed to buy into the StanFlex concept since that would make more or less any fleet more versatile etc. StanFlex is basically a "standard" that outfits ships with hardpoints, like on a fighter, and these hardpoints can be outfitted as pr mission profile by dropping in a new module. So for instance an Arleigh Burke could be outfitted with an AA pod, Missile Shield pod, ASW Pod and so on, depending on its present assignment. Problem that be is that if the mission changes midway you are sorta stuck with the things on board, but you are anyway if all the gear is hardfitted to the ship.

But I figure its down to philosophy and what you really want.
The new LCS ships (littoral combat ships) have giant module systems that are swapable for different missions like anti-submarine, mine detection, etc. Those ships were also dramatically scaled back in the numbers ordered.
The Arleigh Burke class destroyers are an older design but like everything else they are constantly upgraded. The newer versions are actually quite a bit longer if I remember right. They dont have the different mission modules like the LCS ships or what you are refering to but they do have (and always did) the MK41 vertical launch system.
Its been a while since I worked on the MK41 so I dont remember all the quantities or MK descriptions but each MK41 cell holds 8 missile canisters "cans". A missile canister is basically a pre-packaged missile & lauch tube that is hermetically sealed for long life in saltwater environment. There are different canisters for different missiles. So a standard Arleigh Burke Aegis destroyer will have a certain number of Tomahawk cruise missile cans, Standard missile SM, SM3 (missile defense), anti-submarine missiles, anti-air missiles, and even one canister that is packed with 4x sea-sparrow missiles. So the destroyers do have a big range of weaponry on them and the canisters are easily swapped out for missions and or replenishment. Below are some pics of the Mk41 system. Its actually a system that is used on a lot of Nato ships now. I remember when we designed the SeaSparrow quad pack canister that we had folks from nato countries all over the world here in minnesota to help design the canister and also have their countries manufacture some parts for it so that it could be considered a "consortium project".
The DDG-1000 Zumwalt ship that this thread is about uses the newer version of this launcher called the MK57 which has the missiles along the outer edge of the ship rather than in the middle. Its supposed to add space and make any "accidents" less lethal and some other stuff.
Eitherway politics is a problem and usually bad decisions come from it.....there are no shortage of bad military programs in the last 50 years, and nearly every other goverment prgram in general also in that time is an expensive boondogle and failure. We have probably already lost the next war we would ever have with Russia or China since they own so much of our debt. If they decide to sell off our debt or give up using the US dollar as the reserve currency on oil then our currency would do what it probably already should have done....collapse. We spend WAY too much money in this country and most of it is just plain wasted and it gets exponentially worse every year. I just saw a headline the otherday that it would take over $100,000 from each american worker to pay off our current debt.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-41-vls.htm

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

May 4th, 2015.

Littoral Defense ship. The crews are so relatively small compared to an older destroyer, you have to ask yourself, can these be overrun by Somalian pirates? Maybe it would be time to equip these vessels with the old reliable M1860 Cutlass, which was issued on Navy ships through WWII. You have to admit it, they do top the list for ugly Naval architecture and probably would take home a blue ribbon in that category alone.

turnkey

Best water ski boat and add billboard the use came upwith,,,,,,,,,It is so special that instead of 20 , the sun is just building 3 ,,,,,,,talk about over budget and over time,,,this one is it,,,,been in the sun 20 years and I have to say,,,It is the uglier bring the use has very come wirh,,,,dam is it ugly ànd veryineffective,,,,going back in the yards for a update,,!,,,,!,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks