• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New noise and a scare

dcwilkie

So I drive the Deuce 3 hours back and forth to pull 4 trailers to the RV park (talk about tedious). Next day I start Tinkerbell up, put her in gear and get a grinding noise while engaging the clutch. It goes away as soon as the clutch is fully engaged. I drive it to the house to start work on it and it quits the grinding noise as soon as everything warms up.
I can't find anything wrong!:?
All suggestions welcome.

While pulling the trailers home I had to lock her up on trip #3. Some idiot in a late model white Chrysler 300 STOPPED IN THE LEFT LANE. :shock: Totally stopped. No one in front of him/ her. I think they thought they had to stop for the HSV Shuttle bus in the right lane while it was loading/ unloading.
I would say my brakes work very well. I got her stopped with literally inches to spare and rubbed a flat spot on my new left front tire. Left the blackest skid mark (on the road- not in the pants) I ever saw.
I didn't bother to hook the air brakes up on the M105A2. I believe that was a mistake. Having a ton of weight pushing back there didn't help the stopping distance one bit!
More reason to install a dash cam.

NRG

Gear grinding noise or a weird kind loud grinding howl noise? Have you taken the inspection plate off the bottom of the transmission and greased that zerk on the throw out bearing shaft? Mine made a crazy sound when I pushed the clutch in and out. I greased that zerk and fixed the problem.

Oilleaker1

From experience, when you slam brakes on that hard, you jolt or shock the drive train. I once broke a '48 Ford coupes transmission main shaft in half doing what you did. You may have damaged the clutch disc. If the greasing of your throwout bearing doesn't quiet it down, start looking at the disc for damage. Hope it clears up and goes away for you!:-( John

Heavysteven

Gear grinding noise or a weird kind loud grinding howl noise? Have you taken the inspection plate off the bottom of the transmission and greased that zerk on the throw out bearing shaft? Mine made a crazy sound when I pushed the clutch in and out. I greased that zerk and fixed the problem.
I did not know that or missed in the TM's. Could you be mote specific. Does this require draining the trans? You the inspection plate is on the bottom?

Glad I read your post, going to do this tomorrow.

dcwilkie

Thanks Energy (NRG)- I'll take care of that little chore tonight before the rain gets here.
I have to say, despite the constant maintenance, owning a Deuce has been a pleasure. I can't recommend it enough to any fence sitter that may be here. :driver:

NRG

Thanks Energy (NRG)- I'll take care of that little chore tonight before the rain gets here.
I have to say, despite the constant maintenance, owning a Deuce has been a pleasure. I can't recommend it enough to any fence sitter that may be here. :driver:

No problem! We all need help at one time or another with this hobby and this is a great place to get it. Good luck and I hope the zerk fixes your problem like it did mine. Oh and grab a flashlight, you will need it. After you take that inspection plate off the bottom of the tranny, that shaft is way up in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks