• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New NY guy on the hunt for a mep-002a...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i would sell you a completely checked out 802 for that price, even one with winterization kit, so it would start even in sub zero temps. also with very straight sheet matal. and they are MUCH quieter than a 002

Ray70

Hey Chrispyny, I'm in RI and know of a fellow SS member nearby who upgraded to -003a's and now has two MEP-002A's that he is looking to sell.
I believe one of them is fully tested and ready to go, the other is fresh from GL. One or both are tier II resets with only a couple hours on them.
If interested I can get in touch with him and put the two of you in contact with each other.

Chrispyny

Hey Chrispyny, I'm in RI and know of a fellow SS member nearby who upgraded to -003a's and now has two MEP-002A's that he is looking to sell.
I believe one of them is fully tested and ready to go, the other is fresh from GL. One or both are tier II resets with only a couple hours on them.
If interested I can get in touch with him and put the two of you in contact with each other.
I'll be happy to hear his prices and see his pictures if he has them .. I'm currently bidding on a 002a on GL but I will stop bidding if I like what I hear from your friend.
You are welcome to give him my email address. From there we can talk. UROBIK@hotmail.

thanks man !

Ray70

Yup... Got Green equipment disease! If the government owened it and its for sale on GL, I look at it and often want to buy it!
When will RI ever sell a 5 ton?? , So I don't have to transport it far!!! Still waiting for anything good to go up for auction in RI actually!

Rapracing

If you've got the water heater and a burner or two going on the stove you will have a decent load test going on the 002. If it were me, I'd seriously consider going to the 003. I doubt that you have wet stacking issues.

You may be fine but if you add an a/c unit or two (at least a their start up) you are going to be pushing it.

I have an 002 hooked to the house. It does everything I've asked of it but I have a gas stove and water heater. With lights, tv and misc items running it is at about 30%. One day while playing around my wife started the dryer without thinking about it. It jumped to 105% but did fine. Also, the deep well pump will bump it to about 80% for an instant while the motor gets going.

I have an 003 that is running and making power but want to get the injectors redone. As soon as that is done I plan to put it in place of the 002. I think I may keep the 002 just in case but we will see.

steelypip

I have a 2300 sq ft two level house with electric everything but woodstove (does have blower). I've run my MEP-002A through about 15 days of outages, and have come up with no reason I would want anything bigger.

No, it won't run everything at once. That's OK, as I have never wanted to run everything at once anyway. Kitchen appliances, water heater, well pump and whole house A/C or heatpump are the significant loads. You can run all the lights, computers, TVs and fans (and woodstove blowers) for negligable load relative to the microwave or dryer. Window AC units don't count much either - the 10 year old 12K BTU unit I run in the garage isn't much of a load.

I have verified that my MEP-002A will run both upstairs and downstairs (five year old) heat pumps in AC mode without trouble. That said, I never intend to do it again - it is more convenient to be able to run the microwave and one floor of AC at the same time.

Yes, you can do laundry, but probably not cook at the same time. And as a matter of fuel consumption management, you will probably choose not to run the dryer no matter which generator you get.

Chrispyny

Will someone please tell me what the absolute exterior dimensions are on the wheel base for the trailers that mep-002s come on ? Im bidding on a mep002a on a military trailer that these come on all the time. I have a dual axle landscape trailer and need to know if i can winch the trailer/002a combo onto to get them home. Its a 4.5 hour drive and i would prefer not to attempt to drag an unknown trialer that far. Tires may be rotted and flat or close to, bearings may be in bad shape, lights may not work etc. my trailer is about 6.5 feet wide roughly. Maybe a couple inches shy. Will the trailer fit ?

Ty!

steelypip

The one thing I would add is that the 002 and 003 sets have an amazing surge capacity. Barring heavy motor-driven shop equipment, one of these sets can start any load it has the continuous power to run. There is also a signifcant short-term overload capacity, which gives you time to look at the gauge and shed some load if you bit off more than the set can chew.

Rapracing

Will someone please tell me what the absolute exterior dimensions are on the wheel base for the trailers that mep-002s come on ? Im bidding on a mep002a on a military trailer that these come on all the time. I have a dual axle landscape trailer and need to know if i can winch the trailer/002a combo onto to get them home. Its a 4.5 hour drive and i would prefer not to attempt to drag an unknown trialer that far. Tires may be rotted and flat or close to, bearings may be in bad shape, lights may not work etc. my trailer is about 6.5 feet wide roughly. Maybe a couple inches shy. Will the trailer fit ?

Ty!
I'd don't have a trailer but if you look at the generator being 32 inches wide and allow a minimum of 2 ft on each side it is at least 7 ft and I'd be 8 ft wide.

OOOOOPS! Looks like I may be wrong about that. The plaque show 75 inches from the outside of one tire to the other.

Last edited:

Chrispyny

For those who have picked up these m116 trailers on the past, wether empty or loaded with mep's or otherwise, are these trailers generally ready to be towed right off the lot and home several hours away? Or am i crazy to even try ? Where am i with this situation ? Thanks ;)

AceHigh

For those who have picked up these m116 trailers on the past, wether empty or loaded with mep's or otherwise, are these trailers generally ready to be towed right off the lot and home several hours away? Or am i crazy to even try ? Where am i with this situation ? Thanks ;)
Yes and no. They really need a full pre-trip as the brake reservoir may be empty. Also you need a rod to push into the hole on the brake actuator if you want to back up or you can lock the wheels. Also lights are a concern, most folks use magnet lights to get it home. Lunette will be a little high for most tow vehicles. Also the safety chains are usually too short and you will need some extra chain. Tire gauge for pressure, stop after a trial run and manually feel the bearings for heat. Make sure the handbrakes are off before you start off. My first trip with my M116 was 7 hours, no issues at all.

Chrispyny

Yes and no. They really need a full pre-trip as the brake reservoir may be empty. Also you need a rod to push into the hole on the brake actuator if you want to back up or you can lock the wheels. Also lights are a concern, most folks use magnet lights to get it home. Lunette will be a little high for most tow vehicles. Also the safety chains are usually too short and you will need some extra chain. Tire gauge for pressure, stop after a trial run and manually feel the bearings for heat. Make sure the handbrakes are off before you start off. My first trip with my M116 was 7 hours, no issues at all.
Woah, your mentioning things i had no idea about like the rod for brakes and fluids low. Is it horrible to tow with a lower than perfect lunette for a 4.5 hr ride home? Any good manuals referencing pretrip specifics or exactly what rod i need and how to use ? Also does the wiring harness simpley plug directly into my 7 pin round recepticle on my 2009 dodge ram ?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Woah, your mentioning things i had no idea about like the rod for brakes and fluids low. Is it horrible to tow with a lower than perfect lunette for a 4.5 hr ride home? Any good manuals referencing pretrip specifics or exactly what rod i need and how to use ? Also does the wiring harness simpley plug directly into my 7 pin round recepticle on my 2009 dodge ram ?
It's ok to tow it home at an angle, the military 12 pin connector will have to be adapted to your trucks 7 pin, or use magnetic tow lights. The cheap tractor supply light kits also will bolt on to the stock taillight brackets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks