• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New NY guy on the hunt for a mep-002a...

Chrispyny

Well, i won an auction! Yay!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7269259&convertTo=USD

89 hours on what appears to be a 1992 -002a. I think and hope and pray i did real good. New castle, de had 6 of them. Some other members of this forum were also bidding on these. I chose the one which looked the cleanest, had the least hours, and who's front guage face plate looked least faded. I'm so psyched !
so when do i get an email from govliq saying i won and what steps to follow next ?

Thanks to everyone who answered all my questions so far. Stay tuned as i update this thread on the way down and back with the machine ! Yay!

ChesterCounty

Usually the official award come later the night the auction closed. Assuming you are paying by registered credit card you should see a paid invoice as early as tomorrow. Once you have the paid invoice just call the folks at new castle to schedule pick up. They are really great to work with and good people.

Isaac-1

Congrats, looks like it may be a good one, and price was not insanely high for a trailer mounted generator. If you don't need the trailer you can likely sell it for $500 or so.

Ike

steelypip

Wondered if manhandling one was 1) a genuine rigging exercise, or 2) the work of two strong (strained?) backs and a come-along.

But you just settled that thought real quick.
My 002 came sans trailer. They come with a lifting eye at cg, so getting it on my single-axle utility trailer for the trip home was a matter of hooking a lift chain through the eye and then hanging it on a fork and lowering it onto the bed. Getting it off the trailer at home was easier: mount the ramp to the trailer and drag the set off the trailer and down the ramp with the 2K lb winch on a quad by one ofthe sling/tiedown rings on the skid. I squared the set up on the parking pad by pulling it here and there with the quad. A come along would have done the job just as well, if slower. Lifting one is very much like handling an assembled light truck engine and trans.

Getting the 701 (300 lbs lighter) the last five feet home was actually harder as it arrived on an M101 and I don't have anything around that can lift a 2.5 foot tall genset up off a 3.5 foot tall trailer deck. I built a bridge derrick out of reclaimed treated lumber, nails, and rope which sort-of worked after a couple of rebuilds. In time I'll have the ability to lift stuff like that, but not yet. And yes, I continue to prefer my equipment trailer for non-off-road hauling over the m100 and m101 trailers for exactly this reason.

I regard the weight of the 002 as a feature, not a bug. They don't walk away easily, which is a real problem with lightweight retail gensets during extended disasters.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Yes, but MEP-002a's do tend to WALK while running, at least mine does, in fact just last weekend while doing a test run it walked into and then shattered a wood pallet.

steelypip

That is just its way of telling you that it doesn't like pallets...

Seriously, though, getting shims under the ends of the skid to equalize weight distribution along with some tire carcass or cow mat pucks for damping should put that problem to rest.

Ray70

Congrats ChrispyNY, welcome to the green diseased group of us.... Looks like you got yourself a good deal! Now be prepared to spend countless hours researching and wanting to buy more and more stuff!
Once you see your paid invoice, set up an appointment to pick it up and let the adventures begin. If you plan on towing the trailer home, be sure to go prepared. bring an air tank, pintle hitch, and it would be a good idea to get a set of cheap magnetic trailer lights, the trailer will be set up for 24V and does not have a standard 7 pin plug on it. Once you get it home and start the process of getting her up and running, keep us up to date on your progress :popcorn: we all love to follow the progress.

Chrispyny

Congrats ChrispyNY, welcome to the green diseased group of us.... Looks like you got yourself a good deal! Now be prepared to spend countless hours researching and wanting to buy more and more stuff!
Once you see your paid invoice, set up an appointment to pick it up and let the adventures begin. If you plan on towing the trailer home, be sure to go prepared. bring an air tank, pintle hitch, and it would be a good idea to get a set of cheap magnetic trailer lights, the trailer will be set up for 24V and does not have a standard 7 pin plug on it. Once you get it home and start the process of getting her up and running, keep us up to date on your progress :popcorn: we all love to follow the progress.
Guys i really need to k nowwhat chances i have to tow this home without towing my landscape trailer down there and back. It would be no big deal but i would love not to. Life would be so much simpler.
The manual for the trailer says top road speed of 50. I really can't do more than 50 ?
has anyone here had a trailer fail on road going home ?
Bearing failure, blow outs, etc. i'm mechanically inclined but trailering a strange trailer 4.5 hours home is scary.

Rapracing

Guys i really need to k nowwhat chances i have to tow this home without towing my landscape trailer down there and back. It would be no big deal but i would love not to. Life would be so much simpler.
The manual for the trailer says top road speed of 50. I really can't do more than 50 ?
Bearing failure, blow outs, etc. i'm mechanically inclined but trailering a strange trailer 4.5 hours home is scary.
I believe Ray70 covered it pretty well. One other thing I guess to consider is a flat on the way or a flat when you get there that cannot be repaired without removing/replacing the tire. I'd get an early start in case you have to do a little work there and if you don't you'll be home early

AceHigh

Do you think any soldiers ever exceeded 50MPH? :)

Anyway, I remember for years Uhaul always put 45MPH MAX SPEED in reverse on the fenders of trailers so the driver would see it in the mirrors. Probably everyone drove 45 as soon as they saw it. Also remember the tires are quite large so the rpms are slower than with a smaller wheel and tire. If it were me I would simply go and pick up my new trailer. Just have to be very observant with new (to you) equipment. I take an infrared temperature gun and check temps of the hubs often till I am comfortable. I agree to the reduced speed at first and till you know what is happening behind your tow vehicle. I think I hauled mine at about 60 much of the trip.

Isaac-1

As to chances, think of this like any other trailer that has been sitting up for a while, the 3 big things I am always on the look out for on trailers that have sat around are wheel bearings, tires and brakes (sticking mostly). Another topic here is what sort of tow vehicle do you have?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If you look close at the pictures the master cylinder cap and taillights are bent. I've seen a bunch of trailers that came out of New Castle with forklift damage (a couple were untowable). If you've got the trailer to put it on, I'd bring it. That being said, I've done over a dozen trailer recovery's and have yet to have any major problem with any of them. If the bearings and tires are good highway speeds are no problem.

Chrispyny

Towing with a 2009 dodge ram 1500 with factory tow package. Thanks for all your input guys. Really, much appreciated.

If the brakes stick, whats the procedure to free them up ?

Chainbreaker

WP_20140304_001.jpg

There is probably a good chance the surge brake damper shock is shot. If so, it will make the trailer buck like a wild bronco when coming to a stop. However there is a simple remedy, just insert a 3.5" x 3/8 diameter bolt with nut on it through the damper lockout hole. Just make sure it is a stout bolt like a grade 8 so it does not end up getting bent which would make it difficult to extract later. (see silver bolt in picture).

Not sure about the proper procedure to free stuck brakes other than working the brake handles several times, then trying them by both forward/reverse trailer movement to break free the shoes if stuck. Plan B would involve removing wheel and trying to free shoes with tools etc.

I would also suggest to take tire pump or one of those 15 gallon compressed air tank. If a low tire or one going flat it may be enough air supply to get you to a place that can service it.

Also, the lunette ring measures 23" off ground when level on my trailer. You will need adjustable Pintle type hitch to tow it level.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks