• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner, M923a1, Need some direction

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why all the commotion? The military drove these for DECADES with 15W40 and they lived and lived and lived. Allison recommends this as an acceptable fluid. Just use what it's supposed to have. It will work just fine.

RustyM923

actually, the TM states the auto trans is to use HDO 10 (10wt) from -4°F to +55°F (-40°C to +13°C) and HDO 15/40 from +10°F to +110°F (-12°C to +43°C).

I'm pretty sure mine had 15w40 in it when I drained it, but it has Dexron III now. Shifts are great and it runs cool.

I think short of putting coolant, gear, or 3-in-1 oil in there, you'll be ok.

thegreydog

I finally got a gauge to fit valve stem, but still no air chuck. It looks like tractor hydraulic is the closest I will get to 10wt oil for transmission. Any suggestions as to which to get?

Gunzy

I have had a trans rebuilder tell me NOT to run a multi-weight oil in the trans so I will run a straight 10wt. I can get it from an oil distributor. Most distributors will sell to the public, they aren't just wholesalers.

Jeepsinker

Just leave it alone if it only has 2000 miles on it. And when you do change it go back with 15w40, like everyone keeps telling you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

thegreydog

I had all intentions of doing it. But after finding hardly any fluid in my rust filled radiator I felt it was better to pay now than pay later. Also, the fluid is about an inch high on stick, slightly dark brown, and I am getting a jumpy feeling at the 3rd shift. It does show 2400 miles, but it has been sitting like that since 2005.

thegreydog

Alright. Just got off the phone with Allison. This is what I was told to do. Drain everything from transmission, refill with cheap Dex III, run it for a few weeks, drain again, change filters, fill with good Dex III, drive and follow service schedule.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O-Reilly's has 10w oil. It's called ND-10, and I guess the ND is non-detergent oil. Not cheap though, at $4 per quart.

If your going to run DexIII then I guess this doesn't matter...

Jeepsinker

I had all intentions of doing it. But after finding hardly any fluid in my rust filled radiator I felt it was better to pay now than pay later. Also, the fluid is about an inch high on stick, slightly dark brown, and I am getting a jumpy feeling at the 3rd shift. It does show 2400 miles, but it has been sitting like that since 2005.
I have 17 of these trucks in my yard right now. Every one of them I drove about 100 mile home from where I got them over the past couple weeks. Almost all of them have that jumpy feeling when they shift. It seems to be suspension/driveline flex upon shifting that causes that. Only problem I've had with these is sticking brakes, cracked fuel hoses sucking air, and ctis problems. Don't know why Allison would tell some members to stick with oil and others to use ATF, but some of my trucks have oil in the trans, and some have ATF, so I guess both work just fine.
And mine have been sitting since 2003.