• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner of a 1986 CUCV but my third K5 Blazer

Bighorn

Hello.
I am a newby on Steel Soldiers.
Long story short.. I just bought a 1986 CUCV M1009.
This is my third Blazer.
Honestly, I just get a vehicle and fix it up until it has no chance of breaking down, get bored with them, sell them, and find another basket case.

I still own the second which is a 1976 K5 with a 400 cu in small block that runs great but the frame is cracked and body rusted.
I bought this 1986 CUCV to be my daily driver.
The 12 bolt and Dana 44 axles are going to be swapped into the CUCV.
They are 3.73 so this will lower my ratio from 3.08.
Also have a Powertrax no slip in the 12b and a Spartan Locker in the D44.
I just put Yukon axles and replaced all the seals and axle bearing in the 12B and replaced Ball joints and axle u-joint in the D44.
The 33 10.5 15 wheels and tires (BFG KM2) from my donor '76 will also end up on the CUCV.

I will retire the 1976, perhaps selling it to someone who doesn't care about rust.
If you know anyone interested in a running 1976 K5 with 400 cu in, turbo 350, NP203, and the 3.08 10 bolt axles (from the CUCV)
let me know. The body and frame are shot but all the glass is there and it runs very well getting 10 mpg and has taken me all the
way to California and back to visit my Dad.

Anyhow, my CUCV is the vehicle that gets the cash as well as the attention now.

Other upgrades I have ordered parts for include;
A Fluidampr harmonic balancer.
A 1330 pinion Yoke for the donor 12 bolt and 1330 to 3R u-joint to match the existing driveshaft.
I put the rifle rack back in behind the drivers seat because I live and work in the national forest where I can grouse and deer hunt this fall.
The radiator has a pinhole leak so I will remove that when I do the harmonic balancer and have Miller Fabrications Radiator shop in lovell Wyo
Boil it out and make the repair.
The injection pump weeps a very small amount around the linkage seal "throttle" arm?
I might have that rebuilt sooner rather than later.

I forgot the best part of the story!
Flew from Billings Montana to Portland the same day I made the deal.
I bought it in Portland, at the airport.
Immediately drove it back towards Wyoming and ended up sleeping in the back seat in Hood river that night.
Drove another 1,200 miles home to Wyoming and that truck and it's 6.2 got 20 miles per gallon on the dot.
I thought the fuel gage was broken.
Nope, just gets amazing mileage.

The previous owner already did a Doghead relay conversion as well as headlight relay upgrades.
The taillights are led conversions.
All the military stuff is still there.
2 new batteries.
He installed a tilt column and windshield wiper delay but no cruise control.
He recently put in a new 24 volt starter.
He installed a spin on fuel/water separator filter on the firewall.

Barry did a lot to this CUCV but he and I agreed it still has a ways to go and that it what attracted me to it.
It was this CUCV or a 2003 Rubicon a local mechanic wanted to sell me for $10,000.
I've had many Jeeps and they were great.
But I live at 9,000 feet and the Jeep just doesn't have the interior space or the capability to tow the occasional garbage trailer off the mountain.
So the M1009 got the nod.

What I have here is the Chevrolet K5 Blazer I always wanted.
With only 93,000 original miles.
The 6.2 Diesel engine is one I have always been interested in and glad to finally own.
I live at 9,000 ft and the climb out of Lovell is about 4,500 elev gain.
No, the 6.2 does not hold a candle to the 400 sbc in my 1976 K5.
Then again, I took it easy on the go pedal since I did not want to blow it up the first time up the mountain.
But it did better than I thought as it rolled coal up the 10% grade.
The 3.73's will help with that even with the jump from 31 to 33" tires.

More to come.
I'll post some pictures.
And I must say Thank You to this site to which I am only now a member.
The information here is one of the deciding factors for me to plunk down $4,800 on a CUCV.

Bighorn

1986 cucv m1009

View attachment 695603View attachment 695604View attachment 695601View attachment 695602View attachment 695598
I bought this truck off the internet and flew out to get it the same day.
On the drive home only two things happened of consequence;
The vaccum line to the modulator on the TH400 transmission fell off in Butte Mt causing high shifting. Put it back on on side of road.
One of the front hubs would not unlock and I stopped at an O'Reillys and bought star wrenches to take the hub apart to discover the plastic ring that holds the wave spring against the outer hub body had broken.
Since I could only unlock one..
I just locked both hubs and continued on.
There was a 4 wheel parts along the way (I can't remember where between Portland and Wyoming) but they sold me Premium Warn hubs which I also put on in the parking lot of Eddy's motel in Butte MT where I spent the second night.
There is a whistling noise coming from the passenger side door that is wind related but I grew used to it on the 14 hour drive home.. I'll track it down.
Those were the only real problems I had but they were insignificant.
What i learned was; If ever buying a vehicle across country again, bring my tools as checked baggage for flight out.
The Pictures;
I live off the grid at 9,000 feet elevation.
It is summer now.
By the end of November they close the highway and the only way in or out is by snowmobile or snowcat.
Wheeled vehicles go elsewhere during that time and my camper gets moved closer to the lodge where i can plug in for extra heat.
Right now is the sweet season.
Access to the National forest outside my camper door.
100's of miles of offroad trails where i spend my single day off a week wheeling my rig.
You can see my rusty 76 in one of the photos
But it is also the only time of year, just 4 months or so, when working on vehicles is possible.
So as work slows down between now and when the highway closes, I need to get my axle swap, new glow plugs (minus 40 here at height of winter), and all the rest because we are snowed in until the third week of May and even then the forest road is rarely passable until mid June.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks real nice! I too have a 1986 M1009 Blazer. New tires and an aftermarket screw on fuel filter fixed drivability issues. I bought a radio rack and new floor covering. The original floor mat was pretty nasty and hid several small rust spots that'll need TLC before too long. Mine sits most of the time. I got it 'cause I too like Blazers. My first was a 1984 Silverado, the second was a 1986 Silverado and now the CUCV. Our elevation in Laramie County is only 6,200 feet.

Again, awesome truck! May it serve you well!

soldierofhonesty

You live in that camper all-year around? I'm planning to go off-grid living myself, with my gf and our three dogs.

Bought forest from outside the grid, next to a national park and planning now to build a TinyHouse and garage in my forest.

It's only a mile or so, from public roads. But between my forest and the public roads, there is no winter maintenance, so a good 4x4 is required and depending on the winter and driving frequency, also a plow might be needed to make the forest "road" drivable.

Would you mind uploading pics from your scenery up there? Would be cool to see. I have no elevation to mention here.

HMMWV M996A

Bighorn

View attachment 695723View attachment 695722View attachment 695720View attachment 695721View attachment 695717View attachment 695718View attachment 695716

Pictures;
#1 Our Thiokol Snowcat tows a trailer on skis to deliver snowkiters to the mountain.
#2 Devils Canyon, a favortie wheeling destination of mine.
#3 A LOT of Moose around the lodge.
#4 Dark Skies.
#5 My co-worker Jim snowkiting. i would die if I tried to do that.
#6 Our lodge.
#7 Snowmobiling is the major activity here from December to April.
Yes. I live in that 13 foot camper(in first pictures of post above) all year.
When we hit minus 40 degrees(same in C or F), I can keep my camper just above freezing inside using the direct vent propane heater. Using an additional 1,500 watt heater I can get it to 60 degrees.
Thankfully our winter average temps are only minus 10 F to 0 degrees F at night mostly and my camper stays in the balmy mid 50's.
Besides, i am working in the lodge or outside in full gear removing snow during the winter.
I just use the camper to sleep in mostly.
It allows us to rent out my log cabin, which had no bathroom anyways, for extra income for the lodge.
My second, secret reason, is to learn how to live this way so when I retire I will do just as you are intending.
I want land.
Most likely far below 9k feet in elevation though!
I have to live up here for work.
And it is a LOT of work to live up this high during winter.
My retirement will be someplace in the mountains or near them and working on my land.
Alpacas, avocados, part time plumbing.. whatever. I just want to own my own land and together with savings, make a living from that land when I retire.
I might be 75 years old when I finally reach critical mass but I AM going to make it.
Let me find some photos.
We are on satellite internet here so it may take some time.
My Grandmother was born in Malmo Sweden.
Where in Scandinavia are you from?

Last edited:

soldierofhonesty

Those are views to kill for!

I'm from Finland and in addition to the finnish language, also swedish is my native language.

We have pretty much similar nature in Lapland (northern Finland), except for the grand canyon like view. Nothing like that here. Lapland is north of the arctic circle.

HMMWV M996A
K5 Blazer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks