• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner of a BMY 1988 M923A2

wilkusmcrecon

First I like to say thank you all to SS for all the help. I just made an agreement with Rob of THOSE MILITARY GUYS for a 1988 BMY M923A2. They had a sweet consignment hiding in the back and she turned out to be diamond in the ROUGH. Air Force M9 with only 16K miles. No rust or damage. I little surface rust on two spots but with some TLC she will look new very soon. I had a few of our M9 guys take a look and they all said they saw nothing wrong no leaks, no drips and she looks solid as ****.

I will try to load some pics. Did not realize I need to adjust size of pic. I will try tomorrow

snowtrac nome

glad you got it I know you initially were interested in a 900 series 5 ton they are a crude but reliable rig talk to rob about a spare shut down solenoid as those things are prone to failure I doubt you will go to cummins in anchorage and find a 24 volt solenoid. I will call you tonight get you some info on a guy in your neck of the woods who has forgot more about those trucks than most folks know. Dave is a real sharp guy on military riggs

71DeuceAK

Got pix? I've got an '84 M923A0 in my future myself. :driver: Wonderful trucks...basic but very functional! Love em. Hard to not love an M939 series 5 ton.

snowtrac nome

Just spend a few hours bouncing around NTC at fort Irwin or open the door after an overnight wind storm in the winter you will than use some bad language. his does have the 8.3 c series engine so as long as the shutdown solenoid doesn't fail it should start easily. I have a fuel truck with the same engine its been sitting all winter 30 seconds of cranking and it fired at 15 degrees.

wilkusmcrecon

First I like to say thank you all to SS for all the help. I just made an agreement with Rob of THOSE MILITARY GUYS for a 1988 BMY M923A2. They had a sweet consignment hiding in the back and she turned out to be diamond in the ROUGH. Air Force M9 with only 16K miles. No rust or damage. I little surface rust on two spots but with some TLC she will look new very soon. I had a few of our M9 guys take a look and they all said they saw nothing wrong no leaks, no drips and she looks solid as ****.

I will try to load some pics. Did not realize I need to adjust size of pic. I will try tomorrow

20170130_092320.jpg20170130_092219.jpg20170130_092237 2017.jpg20170130_110645.jpg20170130_092826.jpg20170130_110407.jpg20170130_110355.jpg20170130_110712.jpg20170130_092144.jpg20170130_110415.jpg

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck but the first picture shocked me. Is that a palm tree? Alaska? Really not what I expected to see. Snow on peaks with a palm tree. Lol. Sorry to high jack.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily interior is still green as already mentioned.
Truck looks good.
Sand color blends in snow better than green LOL.

Highly recommend replacement of stock alternator as soon as you can.
Factory one is known to fry itself and zapping other components with it.

71DeuceAK

Welcome to the site! I guess I posted on your other thread about registration not realizing it was the same! Welcome from another Alaska member. I'm in Fairbanks, where's Meadow Lakes? PM me if you ever want to get together, in a couple years I'll hopefully have an '84 M923A0 up here myself.

71DeuceAK

I forgot to add...My truck I'm hopefully picking up is also from California, as am I. Came from the Nat'l Guard unit in the same county I was born/grew up in, so it's special to me because of where it came from. Belongs to a fellow Steel Soldiers member who lives in my old hometown and the truck sits in his son's backyard. Another funny tie in, the guy was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, just outside Fairbanks, in the early '70s. Small world! There's a few of us up in AK, though I only know of one other 939 series owner besides you and (soon to be) myself.

snowtrac nome

there are 2 900 5 tons in shaktoolik with 10 yard end dump conversions on them stg has another one and a 920 tractor here in nome and there is A 49c a-3 about 80 miles out of nome along with a few older 49-c around the area at mines also I know a fellow with some xm 211's

71DeuceAK

Seems like for whatever reason I run into lots of Deuce or 5 ton familiar people in Fairbanks, even at my university! People either have a Deuce or want one. Re: the M49A2C in Alaska I know where there's a bunch outside Petersburg, I had my introduction to driving a manual transmission in one, trying (unsuccessfully, mind you) to bump start it by being towed with a material handler. It was terrifying at the time but now I laugh and enjoy relating that story to people; I wish there was some video of it! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks