• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner of a MEP-803A

kavesman1

Long time lurker/researcher of this site. But i finally have something to post for a change. Last time home I finally won my MEP-803a off of GL website. Luckly enough it was at the Albany,GA MCLB...and i only live 1.5 hr from it. Its a 1998 model that was put in storage back in 2009 according to the documents i found with it. When i got it home, it was in decent shape. I had to change all the filters,add the fluids, and add the 2 batteries to it. And after 3 days of working on, and being lucky again,i got it to fire off the first time turning the start switch. It didn't even seem to take a full rotation of the flywheel before it was up at full running rpm. I'm honestly surprised how quite this Genset is. There is only a puff of black smoke at start up,and that clears up within 2-3 seconds. It has 3856 hrs listed on the clock.

I did a partial load test on it just to verify that each leg of the genhead was outputting power. I used 3 240v water heater elements on each leg for the test. I got right about 7.5a draw on each leg while running in 3 phase mode. I only did the test for about 2 mins to verify it,until i can do a more substantial test on it when i get back.

After everything checked out, i had just 5 problems when i first got it.

#1:The original/primary Facet/Prestolite Cube Pump was shot. So i ordered the Airtex #E8131 pump.So far it is working with the motor...and is rated at 15psi.I'll have to get the genset to full load to see if it can keep up with the demand of the motor.

#2:When i first added the coolant before firing it off, i noticed coolant coming from the wee hole on the water pump. But after it started running,it stopped for the moment. Does anybody know if the water pump has a rebuild kit that i can order?

#3:The Master Start Switch. It has 2 missing mounting screws. For right now it works fine. But I'm looking into finding a alternative replacement for it...as the original/updated replacements are expensive and hard to come by.

#4:The Volt/Amp Switch. In testing the switches, the 3 phase selection sides/positions of this switch works fine. But the Single phase positions don't register on the gauges. I tried rotating the switch several dozen times to see if the contacts would clean up...but no luck. So luckly enough there was a *bay seller that had 4 of them for sale...and it was the updated switches from one of the TM i read. Got all 4 of the switches for $18.10 a piece shipped.:)

#5:The 1/3 phase selector switch.The knob was pressed onto a wrapping of electrical tap.Looks like the piece that fits onto the switch shaft and interfaces with the knob was shattered when it was in service.I tried calling Electroswitch and Kraus & Naimer for that piece for a replacement,but no return calls yet. So, as soon as i see that particular switch on *bay, and its a complete one, I'm going to order it. And I'm going to see if i can make that part myself for insurance.

Below are some pic of the MEP-803A i got.
MEP-803A 1.jpgMEP-803A 2.jpgMEP-803A 3.jpgMEP-803A 4.jpgMEP-803A 5.jpg

kavesman1

As far as kilowatts, it's a 10kw rated genset. It can be loaded to 133% of rated load...but only for a few mins before the overload protection kicks in.

For the physical size and weight, it's a fairly good sized genset for a rv...well, depending on what type of rv you're looking to put this into.

The specs are 62"x32"x37" (LWH), and full wet weight is 1242lbs +/-. At full rated load, it's suppose to burn 1gal per hr.

As far as kilowatts, it's a 10kw rated genset. It can be loaded to 133% of rated load...but only for a few mins before the overload protection kicks in.

For the physical size and weight, it's a fairly good sized genset for a rv...well, depending on what type of rv you're looking to put this into.

The specs are 62"x32"x37" (LWH), and full wet weight is 1242lbs +/-. At full rated load, it's suppose to burn 1gal per hr.
I have a diesel pusher school bus. I plan on putting it on top of the engine. I will lose about a foot of length of the interior of the bus, but basically it will fit.

Thanks!