• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner of CUCV

znettle96

Hi guys im new to the CUCV comunity i just picked up a 6.2l diesel from my uncle. and i just would like to hear some thoughts on what to do with it first and dos and donts. This is also the first diesel ive ever owned so id like some advice on that too thanks!!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Read the stickies at the top of the CUCV forum, clean grounded electricity is happy electricity! If it's a 1009 you can go faster than the others. Welcome to the site.

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome! :beer: Which one did you get?

Advice:
  1. Read the Wiki.
  2. Read the Helpful Threads sticky.
  3. Download the TMs. Freebies! :D
  4. Learn how to read the wiring diagrams.
  5. Learn how to read the parts manual.
  6. Don't expect a powerhouse.
  7. Don't try to make it a powerhouse.

Except for a few military wrinkles, it's a stock 1984 Chevy. That's it. Have fun!

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Welcome and :ditto: what Marcus said.

Depending on the condition and if it has been mod'ed or not, don't let it get over complicated. The forum here is full of people with good experience and tips.
If you have to ask a question, try looking through the TM's so you wind up kicking yourself. Most of the information that you need is there just have to sift through it all.

Which one do you have and upload some pics.

Assel

Welcome to the site!

its a Diesel so dont floor the pedal when the engine is cold, nor pour gas in it ;) ..if you want you can add some 2stroke oil (around 250ml on a full tank) to help lube the Injection Pump.

change the engine oil regularly, roughly every 5k miles or so. Always oil & filter! , use nothing but a 15w40 hd oil (truck rated) !

make sure your batteries are good, bad batteries will cause alot of electrical gremlins!

anything you could ask about those vehicles will be answered on this site :D

greetings from germany

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the TMs
Read the old threads
They will answer 97% of questions.

That way when you get a second one it will be much easier.

howardc

Looks like somebody took care of it. congrats! Have fun with it, and download the TM's. I have them on my iphone on the ibooks app so they are accessible.

znettle96

He bought it from the base when they liquidating it The COLs got first dibs and so he got the best on of the 4 haha, His buddy bought the other 3 rotfl...I would like to get a Intercom system so its easier to comunicate with passengers any idea?

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that there aren't tons of great and helpful posts,tips and How To's here on Steel Soldiers, (many have helped me tremendously) for your 6.2L Detroit Diesel I highly recommend getting some of those books by The Diesel Page guys, one in particular; "The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Troubleshooting & Repair Guide." It'll put you way ahead of the game in understanding these engines and I swear by it~!

Good Luck~!:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks