• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner!

Bought an m1151a1 today. First one. Looks like I'm going to have to start getting comfortable on here. Has the hard top and slant back in place.

I just downloaded the TMs and have started digging in.

The one I purchased doesn't run, coming out of Albany, GA. Looks like it's pretty much all in tact mechanically on the underside, and in the engine compartment, so, kind of excited to see what I got. All of the armor is gone, obviously.

Has anyone reinstalled armor to give the old armor holes a purpose, or just leave them all open? I have a fab shop, so I can reinstall armor, or a copy of it I guess, just wondering what you guys have done. Any creative ideas? Maybe just throw some new bolts in the holes? I obviously don't need the armor, but it might look cool.

Last project was a 68 corvette. Thinking this one will be a little easier to work on.

Thanks!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum, I cannot help on the armor but there are lots of folks here willing to help.
You may change you mind however about the difficulty of the tasks ahead compared to the vet, but it sounds like you are off to a good start!!
You still have not updated your location...

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! Sounds like you have some fun work ahead. Just so you know, posting about a new MV around this group without photos is like waving a pork chop at a doberman. And if you could slip in a pic of that Vette? My Dad had a 66 with the 327. Good luck!

Congrats! Sounds like you have some fun work ahead. Just so you know, posting about a new MV around this group without photos is like waving a pork chop at a doberman. And if you could slip in a pic of that Vette? My Dad had a 66 with the 327. Good luck!

Good call- here are both. I only have the GP pics for now. My son just got into HS and wanted to work on a project car, so I got this.

Did a full frame off with my dad on the vette. He was a '68 West Point grad, bought a new yellow 427 when he graduated, sold it a year later and it became a legend. So I bought this and we restored it together. It's basically done. Need to finish out some little details.

Attachments

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good call- here are both. I only have the GP pics for now. My son just got into HS and wanted to work on a project car, so I got this.

Did a full frame off with my dad on the vette. He was a '68 West Point grad, bought a new yellow 427 when he graduated, sold it a year later and it became a legend. So I bought this and we restored it together. It's basically done. Need to finish out some little details.
Nice! That HMMWV looks to be in good shape. And the Vette is beautiful! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Oh boy…. 6 car garage…. You might end up with a few more HMMWVs…..😂😂😂
Seriously though, I am thinking about getting an M998 also, so I can use that as the around town soft top in the summer, and the M1151a1 for camp trips, winter stuff.

My wife has my dream jeep, and she won't give it back all summer, so a guy has to have options, amiright?

blutow

Last project was a 68 corvette. Thinking this one will be a little easier to work on.
NIce car. I had a 69 convertible when I was younger, I love the steel bumpered gen 3 cars before they "rubberized" the front and back.

Some things on the hmmwv are easier to get to, but overall I'd say the vette is overall easier to work on (and simpler). I'm not saying there is anything particularly complex on the hmmwv, just more "non-traditional" components (inboard brakes, hydraulic fan control, 24v electrical, goofy control box, portal axles, etc.). A bit of a learning curve, but that's definitely part of the fun.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NIce car. I had a 69 convertible when I was younger, I love the steel bumpered gen 3 cars before they "rubberized" the front and back.

Some things on the hmmwv are easier to get to, but overall I'd say the vette is overall easier to work on (and simpler). I'm not saying there is anything particularly complex on the hmmwv, just more "non-traditional" components (inboard brakes, hydraulic fan control, 24v electrical, goofy control box, portal axles, etc.). A bit of a learning curve, but that's definitely part of the fun.
The HMMWV is a PITA from one end to the other, I worked as a line mechanic for Tom Benson in SA in the early 70s, the dispatcher was a friend and would steer as many vets my way as he could, even a few L88s, man those were the days, I was called up on the carpet more than once because of the fuel mysteriously disappearing from many of the vets.

jake20

Seriously though, I am thinking about getting an M998 also, so I can use that as the around town soft top in the summer, and the M1151a1 for camp trips, winter stuff.

My wife has my dream jeep, and she won't give it back all summer, so a guy has to have options, amiright?

Sup sup!

Would love to see a build thread on this, one hmmwv just isn't enough once the addiction gets you. I still peruse govplanet more often than I should :p

As far as M998s go, man they feel VERY different in a way that I can't quite describe as one just has to experience. I got the chance to meet a guy with one recently, rough shape 1980s model. The engine bay actually has room in it, the sling points on the hood are considerably thinner, different engine and transmission obviously, runs quieter, much less bulky overall. I felt like I was stepping into my 1970s deuce in a way. I've considered one myself too, gotta fill the garage with each generation heh

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sup sup!

Would love to see a build thread on this, one hmmwv just isn't enough once the addiction gets you. I still peruse govplanet more often than I should :p

As far as M998s go, man they feel VERY different in a way that I can't quite describe as one just has to experience. I got the chance to meet a guy with one recently, rough shape 1980s model. The engine bay actually has room in it, the sling points on the hood are considerably thinner, different engine and transmission obviously, runs quieter, much less bulky overall. I felt like I was stepping into my 1970s deuce in a way. I've considered one myself too, gotta fill the garage with each generation heh
Must have been re-powered, all HMMWVs have always had the same basic engine.

jake20

Must have been re-powered, all HMMWVs have always had the same basic engine.
Yea it had the 6.2L / 3L80 being the only difference I was getting at. It just had this distinctly different "feel" compared to the 1043A2 and 1123 I've been working on

Ok, I've heard alot of guys say that the "11's" are significantly better, and it's true, they aren't that much of a premium. I think my second one will be a 1152. Remove the hard top and make it a 4 man soft top. Then, I should have two that are basically identical mechanically. I like the nostalgia of the older stuff, but really just want a hard top and a soft top, so that probably makes more sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks