• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Paint, what are your thoughts?

RaggedyMan

Painted Jules Tuesday and finished it up yesterday with wheel painting. It was as shown in the first pic a 3 color camo but I'm just not sure there was a lot of that in '65. In any case it needed some touch up work and I wasn't going to be able to match the colors without doing the whole thing all over and the solid "known" color will make it easier to touch up in the future. I went with Lusterless USMC Forest Green #34052. A overhaul data plate on the glove box shows USMCSC 7-75 Albany Ga. (not that I know that was a proper color in '65 either). While I was doing stuff I also added an egt & boost gauge and all new gauges in a custom panel for a more stock look.
In any case my purpose for posting is to see what some of you think of that color. I'm not quite sure where I stand on it but it's going to stay that way for a while. I think I like the more common od but perhaps it'll grow on me.
old.jpgnew.jpgdash.jpg

Last edited:

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint job looks good. One solid color isnt everyones cup of tea but i think you did a good job.

TGP (IL)

Nice Job, especially the dash.

My M35A1 is solid color from it's rebuild in 82.
It left the military in 1990 and went to the state of Illinois until I purchased it in 2013.

When I redid my M1028A2 I opted to keep it Solid color.

Your Choice.

Tom

Last edited:

RaggedyMan

Nice Job, especially the dash.
The only thing I personally did with the dash was have an idea and install. The panel was cut by someone here at Steelsoldiers a couple years ago and for the life of me I can't find his name or any records of correspondence (If whoever you are sees this, shout out for full credit!!). The gauges are Hewitt except for the "battery" as they had nothing for this. They were real helpful as I went back & forth with emails and phone calls to get exactly what I wanted since I had no idea what to order. In the process now of getting a fuel sender and another fuel gauge (yes, I fried it).

Solid color is perfect!! Love it
I'm liking your troop seats a lot in your avatar. I considered doing the same as a couple of my boards needed replacing and really looked bad with chipping paint. I found a shop nearby to cut them at a fair price but once I found that I'd have to grind every **** bolt I just cleaned them up, put a couple coats of primer on them and painted. They look 100% better and I'm happy with how they turned out but I'm yet to get the new ones and hope it won't be too obvious.

Last edited:

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted Jules Tuesday and finished it up yesterday with wheel painting. It was as shown in the first pic a 3 color camo but I'm just not sure there was a lot of that in '65. In any case it needed some touch up work and I wasn't going to be able to match the colors without doing the whole thing all over and the solid "known" color will make it easier to touch up in the future. I went with Lusterless USMC Forest Green #34052. A overhaul data plate on the glove box shows USMCSC 7-75 Albany Ga. (not that I know that was a proper color in '65 either). While I was doing stuff I also added an egt & boost gauge and all new gauges in a custom panel for a more stock look.
In any case my purpose for posting is to see what some of you think of that color. I'm not quite sure where I stand on it but it's going to stay that way for a while. I think I like the more common od but perhaps it'll grow on me.
View attachment 735025View attachment 735026View attachment 735029
Personally I like the solid color, I'm on the fence for color choice for painting my bobbed 5 ton, either a vintage OD green or a really really dark dark Grey (light black).

fleetmech

Love the solid color look on M35s, myself. My rig is painted a WWII-ish darker green (by the previous owner) and I really like it that way.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the color a lot. Nice job on the painting too. It's your truck, so if it makes you happy that's what counts. I've seen pictures of deuces painted yellow, red, even pink. Good looking truck!

3rdmdqm

That looks really nice! I have a '68 Deuce that I'm currently doing a complete frame off restoration to. It's currently in about a bizzillion pieces and the frame and axles are lying on the ground. Didn't realize how intimately familiar I was going to get to know this truck, but it's been interesting. While taking parts off I found the original color the truck was painted in nearly unaged condition, took it to the local HoneDepot and they scanned and color matched it perfectly. I'm partial to the 3-color camo myself, but am restoring this truck to its original condition and single color.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks