• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Production 6.2L/700R4 TV Brackets (Interested?)

ODw/envy

We have been trying to decide if the bulge between the mounting holes is necessary. It looks like the one on the HMMWV engine is flat and missing the hole (post 13). I think the glow plug temp sensor hole is necessary for our trucks. There is some variability in the sensor too though. I am open to suggestions.

ODw/envy

Gary,

You are right, of course, but I should have explained my observation. My sensor ('86 CUCV) is very different than the one that came on the civvy ('83). My sensor is small and appears to screw directly into the block. The civvy one was huge and required a "mounting plate/adapter. That little valley adds a bit of complexity to the process. complexity = cost in the fabrication world. I think mine would work with just a hole. More on this down the road. I will have them built to normal spec. I will include details as the affair evolves.

Barry, I am glad to hear someone else is coming over to the dark side. If you were going to say you are thinking about going 12 volt too, don't! We may both be burned at the stake, just keep it on the DL. :whistle: OD might just start to have a different connotation. I hope this will help you and others. With SEMA next week, I imagine, it will be 1-2 weeks before everything is in order. I will try and keep things updated.

Maybe this thread should have a poll? Something to the effect of the title. That might, perhaps, give me a better idea how many people are interested, without them having to capitulate.... er uhm, write in.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this thread should have a poll? Something to the effect of the title. That might, perhaps, give me a better idea how many people are interested, without them having to capitulate.... er uhm, write in.

Good luck with that. Have you seen the polls on here???? Not only do they vote on the poll, but still write in what they need....so you may be counting double

barry0307

no-OD i have no plans of going 12volt-i wanted to say that i found the high tranny/tc mount and bought it for 85 with shipping and the guys has another if anyone needs one--thanks alot-barry -85 m1028

Asmoday

I'm interested in one....

Please keep us posted.

I have a '87 Civy gasser K5 with the 700R4 and 208 from the factory. I just can't decide if I want to pull the trigger and yank the set-up out and put it in the M1009.

I have no idea what I would need to pull with it for the swap and all the conversion posts overwhelm me quite honestly.

Terracoma

Gary,

You are right, of course, but I should have explained my observation. My sensor ('86 CUCV) is very different than the one that came on the civvy ('83). My sensor is small and appears to screw directly into the block. The civvy one was huge and required a "mounting plate/adapter. That little valley adds a bit of complexity to the process. complexity = cost in the fabrication world. I think mine would work with just a hole. More on this down the road. I will have them built to normal spec. I will include details as the affair evolves.
Interesting! I thought they'd be similar/same to the civilian J-code models, but there I go assume'ing... :oops:

After looking over my truck and parts engine, I agree, and think that the bracket could probably be made flat between the mounting holes for CUCV engines.

ODw/envy

Asmoday,

I am doing the conversion right now. I will do a detailed write-up. In fact I will be covering initial mock-up and build specs this week in my build thread. I will gladly provide pics, part numbers, and experience where possible.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/90710-chucv-soup-animal-12.html

You can probably skip the first 4-5 pages. They are mostly decision making and witty repartee. I do need to update the first post though. The build has taken on a somewhat more divergent temperament than I initially anticipated.

unaffiliated

I would be interested in that bracket. The transmission guy at my new job (GMC Dealership) is currently looking for a 700R4 for me that will mate to the transfer case. Thanks.

Asmoday

Asmoday,

I am doing the conversion right now. I will do a detailed write-up. In fact I will be covering initial mock-up and build specs this week in my build thread. I will gladly provide pics, part numbers, and experience where possible.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/90710-chucv-soup-animal-12.html

You can probably skip the first 4-5 pages. They are mostly decision making and witty repartee. I do need to update the first post though. The build has taken on a somewhat more divergent temperament than I initially anticipated.
Wow...great stuff...!

As far as the hump....I would keep it just like the Civy version. A little more fabrication cost but "proper" non the less...:)

ODw/envy

I apologize for the delay. They are supposed to have a computer model ready. There is some difficulty in the design of the wire extension. With the move and their being busy I have not been able to keep it moving the way I like. I am hoping to get something finalized next week.

Anyone who is anxious for one can PM me and I will give you their contact info. If a few people call asking for TV cable mounts for there 6.2 diesels it may get things moving a little.

barry0307

tv brkt

Very interested i'm half way through the swap and I am in desperate need of the bracket would pay top dollar.
there were 2 on ebay that did not sell-1 gm and 1 man made----ill give you there ebay names -you can contact them---boobis1985,this guy is making them-jasont1223-he had a factory bracket that did not sell--good luck

ODw/envy

I dropped it off for prototype, but after 2 months they had not uploaded it. I had to finish the build so I took it back. If a find someone in the future that can do the work I may try again. There is no one in this area of Florida, that I am aware of, who can do it.

The conversion is worthwhile. I would not hesitate to do it again. I will say that 4.10s and 32 in tires are a little tall for final gearing. I am at about 1750 rpm at 70mph. I would like to be at 2000 rpm @ 70mph, so 4.56 would have been perfect. I am running a banks turbo and have been quite happy with the setup otherwise. I think it would be a bit of a pig without the turbo and this gearing in OD.

If you need help I will offer assistance where possible. A year and 10k miles has a way of teaching you things.

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks