• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New project is getting started

m816

We are at the beginning stage of a new deuce project. We have a 72 "whistler deuce". It has been sitting in the yard for a couple years and Vinnys10 decided that he wants to do a stretch cab and add a dump body to it. At this point we are just getting it running again.
We have already had the fuel tank boiled to get the alge out of it and are going through the rest of the fuel system. Seems some of the gunk has plugged itself in the injector pump so we have to tackle that. Vinnys10 is running the project. I'm sure that he will post plenty of pictures as the job progresses. He has scored a ton of parts and we are in negotiation for a dump body as soon as the guy decides which dump truck he wants to scrap. We will post updates as work progresses and pictures too.

m816

Well, we put a long day into getting the gunk cleaned out of the fuel system. Everything is clean now except no fuel passes through the head of the IP. Looks like that is where all the trouble is. We removed the head and Vinny is installing a new head as I write this. It should go right on,but the timing mark is not lining up. This is starting to cut into beer time so it may wait until tomorro to get buttoned up and then we will see if we get fuel into the injectors. Hopefully the thing will start then.
Another surprise for us was that some on cannibalized the airpac from the truck. I knew it didn't have brakes but neverlooked for missing parts as it was bought as a non runner and it was trailered to the motorpool. My usual experience is having to rebuild the airpacks and pull all the wheels anyway. Looks like this truck will be no different. Gettng late in the day so progress will be slowing now.

m816

So far he wants to keep it three axels. Depending on the length of the new dump body, that will determine if it gets a double cab or an extended cab. It will have to wait untill we get the truck running. We have gone as far as we can without reading the manuals. Time out while we do some reading.( Stinking directions) Some times you really have to go by the book. Now we have the manuals all over the shop. Laptop up on the tool box one fat guy perched on a stool and two others hovering around the screen trying to cause mahem. Lucky we ran out of daylight at the same time that we ran out of interest. More tomorro

m816

We got the engine running today. I'm not satisfied with the throttle response. This may settle in as we get the new fuel with the cleaner run through it but we may have to consult with the stinkling manual again. We initially got it all together and still got no fuel through the metering head. Since it was a new head, it seemed we had something installed wrong. After Vinny went back over a couple things we got it squared away and fired it up. Nothing new to show with pictures and We got a line on a five ton for cheap. This may put us in a new direction. We are hashing this out during the next couple days. Since we want to make it a dump, A fiveton would be a better truck to start with. The deuce could be bobbed and it would still make a good truck for someone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks