• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project M54a2

m37dsl

Picked this rig up last week, motor was stuck where it sat, had to drag it 4 miles out on dirt road to get it to the trailor.

Got her home and pulled the motor found bearings spun and lots of damage to crank/rods. Motor was stuck because #3 rod bearing spun on top of its self causing piston to come above tdc and hit the head.

Im thinking a rebuild wouldnt be cost effective, but any suggestions for who may have a multi fuel on the west coast?

Another question: I am under the impression that the trans is a 5 speed overdrive unit but why are there air lines going to the top of it? Are those set up for interlocks with the transfer case?

Attachments

area52

Air lines on the transmission are for the transfer case- it sends a signal to let the transfer case know if you are in forward or reverse gear. Should make a thunk sound when going from forward to reverse or the other way.

m37dsl

Transmission has dana tag on the side with 6453, so was this an overdrive swap somewhere in the trucks life?

...bearings :-(

Looking at bearings and crank... 1k plus

Looking at various a good used takeout motor or even one for parts... not much better, are these motors getting harder to find? A few posts made them sound easier to acquire, perhaps on the east coast?

Attachments

msisco

Engines

Check with the "100dollarman" here on SS. I was at his yard in So Cal two weeks ago and he had several complete engines sitting around. I am sure he will make you a fair deal.

Good Luck with the project!

I also have a 1954 M54 I picked up about a year ago. It's been a lot of fun and I have actually been able to drive and offroad it more than I have worked on it so far. I feel lucky...

Cheers,
Mike

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allright! Go M54's

I have an M54A1C. Love that truck! It's the 1st truck in my avatar.

Let's see some pictures of the M54's out there, I currious how many of us have em.