• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New project!!! M818 crew cab

BIGNICK

I have already purchased a drop side bed cut down in length to make room for the crew cab. After doing some off roading over the holiday I think I'm going to leave the two axles in the back. As my budget allows, I will install lockers in the rear axles.

As far as a block heater, I purchased mine from Dave at Eastern Surplus in PA, however you should be able to buy from local heavy truck parts supplier.

BIGNICK

what bed are you planning on running?i think a cut down m35 bed would be nice with the troop seats.i think it would have been cooler as a tractor then you could have had it all pull the expandible when camping and drop it take the truck and eveyone out playing:roll:

Good idea!!!!

However, I use my volvo 770 with a drop deck to haul any thing over 100 miles from home. So same idea i guess:grin:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ITS easy !!!! drain anti-freeze into bucket,(can be reused if good) and then on passanger side of engine block, remove plate just blow the head. this plate has 6 bolts. there might be little anti- freeze left in this area, clean off any gasket material left in the engine block, spray down with carb cleaner and install block heater with a new gasket or use a good liquid gasket maker, install bolts and refill anti-freeze AFTER GASKET MAKER IS DRY!! Check for leaks !!! plug in heater and your good to go in about 2-3 hours. P.S. plug your block heater in before you install it to make sure it works. It should only take 10-30 seconds before it gets really hot. I'll post some pics Tuesday truck starts right up with out any real cranking. I also installed the new style fuel filter system to which really helped!

Thanks, I have several block heaters for cummins bt and is series engines, the ones with the 1in threaded heater coil. I maybe able to drill and tap the plate to mount the heater on? I will take a peek at it the next time I'm up by the truck.

BIGNICK

thanks powerhouse! as far as the cab and bed, i am going to shorten the bad from the front to make room for the cab. working on that this week-end! Should have some pics posted of the cutting and welding process

66bug

Banned
Going the drop side route on my 818. 100Dollarman has a few good pics on how he cut his bed. Cutting from the back is less work then cutting the front. Only a small panel to deal with not the whole front panel to swing around. Did a 3 panel on mine so stock cut down troop seats will still fit in the back. No funky half cut in the back. But i will try when i weld my sides up to use the old parts that were welded on the ends of the sides. I think it will be a little more easy this way then to split the side and do a butt weld like 100Dollarman. It was a major pain cutting the old steel off the brackets. But this way it is one cut and it should look just like a stock weld job on the ends with no seam to deal with.

nofearnohope

I really like the Crew Cabs Hundred Dollarman and ccequipment and some of the others have made. I'm really looking forward to seeing someone make a "suburban" style deuce or 5-ton. (hint hint, guys)