• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new purchase, 1st time owner, tons of questions

Green Line Lawn

Those batteries should do just fine.

I'm running what are basically identical batteries, but NorthStar branded (same case, same posts, just a little different specs) for almost 4 years now and they are great.

Yes, your truck is an M998, or possibly an M998A1, but definitely not an A2 or newer version. That 2004 date on it would be the last time it was rebuilt, not when it was manufactured. There is a thread on here that gives approximate build year by serial number, but that will also depend on them not having assigned it a different serial (uncommon to change serial unless it went through a recap program like the M1097R1s did)

It's recommended you only buy parts like glow plugs through reputable venders, not ebay. Too many chinese knock offs on there, and not worth the money.

As for business and towing trailers, you'll want a real 2" receiver like the one from Black Dog or Federal Military Parts, not one of the pinball type that bolts under the pintle. You might also need a trailer brake controller if any of your trailers are over 3k lbs. You'll also need to either get a trailer light converter box, or put all 12-24V leds in your trailer sockets for them to work and not blow.

Thread on trailer brake controller install. I went with the Federal 2" receiver, XM381 converter box, and Red Arc trailer brake controller (will take 24V in and do 12V out to brakes)

Here is a picture of my batteries installed (24AGM) Cables all reach just fine, and works perfectly with original hold down bracket.
View attachment 900177
thank you for your photo and quick response, i will order those batteries.

Green Line Lawn

No need to plan on changing the glow plugs unless they need to be replaced after troubleshooting them.
I would strongly recommend against this being a 1st vehicle, they have poor visibility, no anti lock brakes, much wider than a normal vehicle and survivability in a wreck is actually very poor.
These are definitely for mature seasoned drivers only on the street.
thank you, i will check the plugs once i get it and get all the fluids changed. i agree about it being not very safe, guess its a good reason for me to take it and give them my ram 2500

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the plug, but absolutely do NOT buy them from ebay. MacMotors, KASCAR/Real4WD or another reputable vendor. If they require a 10mm socket to install (or remove) they are COUNTERFIT and will fail quickly. 3/8" is the correct size of them!

Counterfit ones fail quickly, and tend to shed metal into the engine. (Tops of my pistons have nice indents from the glow plug the previous owner installed.. and it was a pain to remove the shredded 10mm plugs, since the pulling tools are usually 3/8"!)

Green Line Lawn

Today was finally the pick up day. Lots of NJ state red tape that took forever. Had it towed to a friends garage. 1st things i noticed, driver mirror frame bent and broken, oil dipstick looked dark (i know its a diesel), brakes worked pumping them and stopped when rolling off the tow truck. Not confident in the handbrake (how do u guys deal with making sure it holds when parked?)
Belts on the motor look pretty new, possibly replaced within past few years…
Tires are looking a bit dry…

will be removing the back enclosed cover and listing it (if anyone in NJ / PA / NY are interested).

if anyone notices anything from the pictures that i am missing, please let me know.

will be doing all fluid drain and change..

couldnt find anything anywhere saying when originally manufactured, everything says 2004

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today was finally the pick up day. Lots of NJ state red tape that took forever. Had it towed to a friends garage. 1st things i noticed, driver mirror frame bent and broken, oil dipstick looked dark (i know its a diesel), brakes worked pumping them and stopped when rolling off the tow truck. Not confident in the handbrake (how do u guys deal with making sure it holds when parked?)
Belts on the motor look pretty new, possibly replaced within past few years…
Tires are looking a bit dry…

will be removing the back enclosed cover and listing it (if anyone in NJ / PA / NY are interested).

if anyone notices anything from the pictures that i am missing, please let me know.

will be doing all fluid drain and change..

couldnt find anything anywhere saying when originally manufactured, everything says 2004
Looks like a good start, nothing I see says 2004, pre 1995 transmission and transfer case, alternator etc. probably a 6.2L unless it got changed, it does not look like it went through RECAP etc.

Post a picture of the data plate

It also has the early embossed tailgate, not sure when they went away but my 92 did not have one.

Green Line Lawn

Looks like a good start, nothing I see says 2004, pre 1995 transmission and transfer case, alternator etc. probably a 6.2L unless it got changed, it does not look like it went through RECAP etc.

Post a picture of the data plate

It also has the early embossed tailgate, not sure when they went away but my 92 did not have one.

Attachments

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the serial number it is a 1989 or 1990, you should look up the MWO numbers to see what they upgraded, the parking brake would be one.
EDIT, I was wrong it is a 1986

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Modification Work Order.
You can Google the numbers
MWO 9-2320-280-20-1 Add power steering cooler
MWO 9-2320-280-35-1 relocate parking brake (from drive shaft to rear calipers)
MWO 9-2320-280-35-2 3 point seat belts
I think in this case overhauled my be an overstatement, most likely it was repair what is necessary plus the MWOs
BTW the adjustment for the parking brake is a threaded knob on top of the e-brake handle.
You can save yourself allot of time and possibly money and enhance your safety if you go and down load and read the TMs,, there is a sticky bear the top of this forum, start with the operators TM, this will gave you MUCH valuable information on your HMMWV.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am 90% sure that is a 6.2L, (looking at the water crossover) better than an early 6.5L but if they had changed the engine in 2004 it would most likely have been a GEP.
A pic of the back of the engine with the doghouse removed would confirm.
Pretty cool having one of the first full year of production.

Green Line Lawn

Hi, hope all is well. The humvee is running after a bit of updates and new fluids… the back cover is off and now its really a 2 man. I have a question, picture attached of wires near passenger side, is that all for military radios and can i cut them?

also, as far as you know, has anyone tried moving the square bar behind front seats back more to mount the seat base further back? (Yes welding required)

Attachments

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they are for the radio. However if you can remove them without cutting them, you may find a buyer. Seems like people are always looking for the right wiring for things like that.
Additionally, one of those wires is 24V+ all the time regardless of the status of the ignition. If you cut it you may see sparks. I second the recommendation to remove it carefully. You will find a buyer in due course for that cabling.
Welcome to the forum,
Bulldogger

ProximityX

You can fit a couple dirt bikes in the bed easily. I test-fit my old GasGas and it'll work. Also, on the batteries, I bought a couple 36R from Walmart for $100 each but will change them if I do any aggressive off-roading. Enjoy your HMMWV!

Dave
photo_2023-08-12_16-20-58.jpg

Probably only 2 full-size bikes will fit easily. Or 1 Dad bike and 2 Kid bikes. ;-)
photo_2023-08-12_16-20-57 (2).jpg

Walmart 36R batteries. Only 650 CCA but spin that starter fast. Plenty of room so I'm adding some padding.
2023-08-18_12-06-42.png

gents (and maybe some ladies), thank you very much for your great advise and not ridiculed answers as in other auto groups...

i bought the humvee from NJ State Police, i was told they purchased a few of them for high water rescues and never ended up using or converting them to anything. it is NJ titled and supposedly was upkept with maintenance until they let it sit and batteries died.

-plan is to keep it as a pick up truck so the boys can transport their dirt bikes and we can use it in our landscaping business to tow our trailers..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks