• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New pyrometer & boost gauge pod install

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want one for my truck! How much?
OK, I'll make you a gauge pod and anyone else that wants one like this - not sure on price just yet but shouldn't be too bad. From pictures I've seen the 939 trucks (if you want one for your 936) have slightly different defroster ducts so i'll have to get some measurements from you off of your windshield frame / dash to compare to my 813 gauge pod size.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure you have read all the forums here about the pros and cons of putting a turbo on a NHC 250 which doesn't have piston coolers. I have not read anything about someone who did it and caused their engine to fail. It is a great project. I look forward to seeing your results. Personally, I swapped out my NHC 250 for a NTC 350 and turned it up to 435HP with some other custom modifications. My M936 is a beast now. Based on your craftsmanship, whatever you decide to do it will be awesome. Remember to have fun doing it.
Yes, I've read and followed all the turbo threads and that's why i'm installing the pyro gauge before the turbo so I don't melt the pistons. I'm not looking for big power but enough to make up for larger tires when I get that far.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to put in an air to air turbo air cooler in front of radiator? My NTC 350 has an after cooler, which means I had to lift the cab 2" for it to fit. Lifting cab is super easy. Also plan on moving your heater box, it will be in the way of the turbo more than likely.
Not sure if you're asking Wes or I here, but for myself I'm not currently planning on adding an intercooler (but never say never). I do have the Cummins water-to-air aftercooler but I don't think it will fit under a stock M809 hood. Also, I already relocated my heater in preparation for a turbo...;)
20180920_173309.jpg
Heater-in-a-can

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have not seen that before.
It's a bit on the eccentric side, idea-wise but ultimately it will be mounted on the driver side with the ducts and hoses going through the rubber elbow / pipe that the intake air currently passes through. The actual air cleaner will be on the passenger side once the turbo is in place.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want one for my truck! How much?
It looks like I could make you a gauge pod for $48. The extra setup cost for loading the special roller dies into the press brake adds a little more than I was initially thinking.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I drilled and tapped the stock manifold and installed the temp probe. The interrupted thread NPT tap (the black one) made easy work of the cast iron and it all went off without a hitch. The wiring is hooked up and I connected power to the gauge - now all that is left is taking it for a cruise and seeing how hot it runs :)

20200718_113445.jpg
20200718_080822.jpg
20200718_130904.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my truck out for a Sunday drive and got to see how hot it runs. Running empty, steady cruise on flat roads was under 600°F and downhill/idle cooled to about 300°F. Going up moderate hills in 4th at 40mph got the needle up to 1000°F pretty quick and it stopped moving there. Seeing how fast the needle moves on hills makes me suspect that I may have gotten too close to the danger zone before I had the gage. Yikes!

Crf450x

I took my truck out for a Sunday drive and got to see how hot it runs. Running empty, steady cruise on flat roads was under 600°F and downhill/idle cooled to about 300°F. Going up moderate hills in 4th at 40mph got the needle up to 1000°F pretty quick and it stopped moving there. Seeing how fast the needle moves on hills makes me suspect that I may have gotten too close to the danger zone before I had the gage. Yikes!
Is your truck stock?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know. I haven't had the pump apart to see what button is in it and the adjustment screw is still blocked by the metal ball...
The only engine mods I've done were the Jake brakes and the dual fuel upgrade.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks