• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New question. Will an M105 fit in the bed of the deuce?

ida34

I think I may be able to just fit the cucv into a deuce bed without the talegate going up. There is just enough room for the back tire to make it on with the front of the cucv overhanging the front of the bed a bit. I will try this Saturday. If this is unsuccessful then I need to ask if anyone has had an m105 trailer in the bed of a deuce?

Chuck

jh1990

2 forklifts on either side with a chain running from the front shackle to the rear shackle. Lift with both forklifts at the same time, drive deuce under trailer. Then set the trailer down, strap/chain trailer to the frame of the deuce. Close tailgate. repeat for off loading. Note, remove the troop racks/racks on trailer. That worked prefectly when we got our M105 out of the bed of our deuce. With this methiod no need to worry about the trailer swinging off the forks. Plus, it your have to transport it my truck, it'll fit on a lowboy. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

ida34

If only I had two forklifts both here and there. I asked them at Columbus if they had a loading dock and was told "no it is self load". I did not even feel like starting in with her.

mangus580

Most DRMO locations have a loading dock nearby I suspect. Also, I have found that even if it says buyer load, usually the DRMO guy will lift something in a truck for you. Mostly they dont want to get involved in loading trucks on trailers, etc.

You could probably use a come-a-long and some planks to get a 105 in the deuce....

ida34

I have an 8000 lbs winch and I suspect it would be enough to pull it up with my deuce snatchblock. I also have to contend with 1600 lbs on the trailer. It is actually an m103 genset trailer with two 10kw gens. I wonder how much I would have to beef up the ramps to hold the 5000 lbs trailer? I had the people at DRMO Fort Knox load a junkvee for me with their big forklift. They were a real help but I can only hope everyone is just as helpful at the other locations.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, you will need to put the M103A3 in the truck backwards. If its the flat deck genset trailer, its a foot longer than the regular M105. The tongue will overhang the tailgate for sure. See if you can get ahold of Eric aka Miltrucks. I think he lives in Westerville and might still have a wrecker. He would at least know someone who could help you. If you do grow up a set ramps, make them pretty long. Guessing you will need a center ramp for the landing gear as well. Man, I wished I were nearby so I could help load that. All else fails you could snatch up the trailer and go scouting around for someplace with a dock and work the tralier into the bed that way and go back for the CUCV.

YoungBill

GL loading at Columbus

I bought two M105s a couple years ago and GL had a large forktruck that lifted the two trailers on to my borrowed trailer.

Bill in PA

ida34

RE: GL loading at Columbus

Ken, I have bought stuff from Eric before. I may try to if he can help. I have the genset at 14' by the book so it will overhang. I just hope I can fit it far enough in to close the tailgate with the landing gear in the bed. I am thinking of using 12' 2x12's backed up by 3 2x4's under each ramp and a flip down support in the middle.

Bill, Did you pickup from Columbus?

Thanks
Chuck

rdixiemiller

RE: GL loading at Columbus

Go pull the M103 off base to an equipment rental place. Then go back and get the CUCV. The equipment rental place can rent you a crane for a couple of hours and you can sling the trailer up into the deuce.
Now, make sure you really lock down the trailer in the deuce bed, you don't want it running forward through the cab of the deuce with you in it.

Hookin1

If you call the base it's located at ask for whoever is in charge of the drmo or the warehouse. There will be some one who overseees the drmo part of it....you may be able to get them to help load....most of your army or gaurd guys are more than willing to help or can tell you where the loading dock is......remember to be polite....

When i went and picked up area52's trailer i called the base and talked to the warehouse,the sarge told me that they could help load it in the back if i could'nt pull it.....

when i called i told the guy who answered the phone that i was picking up a trailer from GL and that i needed info....he put me in touch with the sarge in the warehouse...who happens to be over all the paperwork on what leaves the base.Even though you are dealing with GL.....GL still have to sho the correct paperwork to the person in charge of the drmo or the lot where they are located. even if gl can't help you usually the military guys can....

YoungBill

Picked up in Columbus

Yes, I picked up two M105s with a 7K pound dual axle trailer. The GL guy loaded the one trailer first then set the other one right behind it. the depot is right off I-70 with lot's of room. He even moved then to even out the load. They are heavy...

Bill

ida34

RE: Picked up in Columbus

Thanks for the info Bill. If all else fails I found a storage yard across the street from the Yard. I pull the trailer there and then pick it up on the weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks