• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New rust protection for deuce this year

6x6junkie

yea i need to get the stuff off in the spring thats the prob and also i go throught dot stops and with bar and chain or motor oil dripping off will be a bad deal kinda has to be inconspicuous ya catch my drift

greenjeepster

yea i need to get the stuff off in the spring thats the prob and also i go throught dot stops and with bar and chain or motor oil dripping off will be a bad deal kinda has to be inconspicuous ya catch my drift
You don't dip the vehicle in the bar and chain oil, it is just sprayed on, no dripping off anywhere, but do what you like:wink:

6x6junkie

i called wd-40 talked with expert and he said it wont work you will have to apply every day you use it .he said it will wash off from salt and rain

Somemedic

I sprayed truckbed liner (Duplicolor bed liner)... cheapy rhinoliner stuff at wallyworld. Its about 5.00 a can and not alot of hassle to put on. Sprayed the wheelwells and above the rears. Figure it wont hurt.

fireman9

Why put it on? You all ready have the rust. The time you spend putting the stuff on and taking it off you could have fixed the rust spots. That stuff is to prevent rust not to stop it from spreading
They are a lot of products out there you paint right over the rust and it seals & which stops it, in about the same amout of time.
The ones I have used, POR-15 and now Eastwood's rust encapsulator. I found Eastwood's Rust Encapsular easier to use.
But if you want to go the other way they have undercoatings, and that is all they are and a pain to get off when rust forms under them.
eastwood.com

POR-15 is a super product. I'd recomend it to anyone. I have used it on countless Jeeps and Bronco projects over the years and It Can't be beat.
It is best to cover it with a top coat of paint, It doesn't like UV rays IE..sunlight.

MY CJ7 was Rhino lined inside before I got it and the prior owner replaced the rear floor pan and driver side floor. He was a pro bodyman welded and seam sealed everything before the Rhion liner was sprayed in. Well long story short I'd never spray in a liner on an interior of a trunck again. One small pin hole lets in the moisture and rots everything between the spray liner and underlying metal, And its a pain in the a$$ too work on because of the coating, you can't weld anything, and it grinds off like sh!t.

HeadWizard

Waxoyl is highly regarded by the vintage British Car restorers/collectors.

& those Brit Cars rust like crazy!! (Especially in the Northeast!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxoyl(Dispite what the website says, there ARE places where you can buy the stuff and apply it yourself! Check the British Car Forums, such as BritishCarForum.com, or check the Brit Car Clubs....)

OR Make your own?http://www.geocities.com/wallaces_21/waxoyl.html

Waxoyl is good stuff and it works...BUT the real Waxoyl is really designed for "enclosed body cavity areas" - read that to mean inside doors, fenders, rocker panels, etc. Waxoyl did (does?) make an undercoating product that can be exposed to the elements. Waxoyl was always the most expensive brand available. It is not designed as an apply and remove later type of product.

So how do I know this? I have either run or owned an auto dealer supply company that provides rustproofing, undercoating, paint sealant and fabric protection products to auto dealers since 1986. I was the mid-atlantic regional distributor for Waxoyl for 6 years. Waxoyl made the Chrysler Corporation "factory" rustproofing brand Mastershield for many years.

Before you apply any wax or asphalt/tar rustproofing or undercoating product on your vehicle, you MUST fully clean all areas and make absolutely sure that they are not wet or have any corrosive elements still attached. The protective products will seal the moisture or corrosive elements in and accelerate the rusting process.

Work is calling so I must cut this short. If anyone has any specific questions on rustproofing/undercoating, please post or PM me and I'm happy to reply.

Don