• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Shoes!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang TJ, you didn't waste a second on that deal did you? Looks great! How difficult is the armstrong steering with those big SOBs?

tjcouch

Recovry4x4 said:
Dang TJ, you didn't waste a second on that deal did you? Looks great! How difficult is the armstrong steering with those big SOBs?
Not sure - but I don't think I really feel much of a difference!

I think when you consider the size of the knobs on the XLs making contact with the road, and the street GSA's that were on there - the footprint is similar.

Only have 4 miles on them, but I did back the trailer up and into the garage w/o any more hassle than usual. :wink:

tjcouch

Sure did - set the cruise at 60, turned on the Sun Pass (toll transponder), and enjoyed the ride. Thanks again for the assistance!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, those are meaty! Nothing says "I look BIG" till you put big rubbers on. Sorry, couldn't resist a pun.

Great looking rig, and those tires make it look even better!

jimm1009

New Shoes

Need more details. I understand OD Iron made the wheels.

What size are the tires and wheels that you put on T.J.?Great looking setup with
new shoes! I must contact them too when I find out the sizes.

Jim

devilman96

RE: New Shoes

too bad you didnt have them BEFORE you got stuck at the rally!!!
I had them... and ya saw the results!!! Ya get to go a little further before you sink up to the floor boards! lol

Need more details. I understand OD Iron made the wheels.

What size are the tires and wheels that you put on T.J.?Great looking setup with
new shoes! I must contact them too when I find out the sizes.

Jim,

The tires are G20 or 15.5's (roughly 47 high 15 wide 20 rim), the ones I have currently vary between 90 and 100% tread…

The wheels are custom made 11X20's that I put into production about a year ago… This is a modified design originally given to me by gringeltaube. (whom is one mean sucker when it comes to drawing blueprints with MS Paint) The idea was to produce a tubeless wheel that didn’t equate to a bead locker with the cost and the complications involved with them.

Pricing has gone up… with the cost of steel and fuel everything is about to go through the roof but currently wheels are 250$ each and tires are 95$ each… Tires go by freight line, 6 tires per pallet max… Wheels are shipped UPS (the cost is actually lower than freight line) The average shipping cost of 6 tires is about 300$ and the average cost of a wheel is about 50$.

Lead time is about 3-4 weeks right now… That’s a HONEST time frame… not a line of BS to get your cash and wait another 90 days to ship your wheels. Usually I am about 2 weeks on these but with tax season here its busy as all get out.

tjcouch

RE: New Shoes

Let's see . . . . Paypaled the order on 2/29, tires installed on 3/24 . . . . yup, he does what he says! Great guy to work with, well, except for that whole "Tampa Redneck" comment!

Folks have been PMing me some specific questions . . . which I am more than happy to answer - but for the good of the order:

REMEMBER: So far I have only driven the truck for all of 10 minutes with the new set up . . .

At SLOW speeds you can feel the vibration from the knobbies on the road . . . not as bad as a tractor, mind you . . . . but it is there.

I have not had them balanced yet . . .there is a little bit of bounce at specific speeds. I'll start with the fronts and go from there.

Road noise: no noticeable change until you hit 55 or so . . . . at which point they make the most indescribable, coolest, guttural roar I have ever heard (not really all that loud compared to the multifuel C. . . but it is there, I can only imagine what the guy in the convertible miata was thinking.!)

tjcouch

Re: RE: New Shoes

mangus580 said:
too bad you didnt have them BEFORE you got stuck at the rally!!!

rofl

Har, har, har.
:wink:

I KNOW I would have made it then! If I made it as far as I did with the street tires, I know these would have got me through . . . the mud was not the problem - it was when I hit solid land and had to get out of the soft rut that I stopped moving.

Actually I am GLAD I got stuck at the rally . . . . I always like to know were the line is. (Still probably going to cross it . . . but it is nice to know it is there.)