• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New side exhaust

Alex400

I just ran it under the truck......kept it as high as possible and ran it under the transfer case.

Yo would have to get into some serious do-do to damage it.
Oh alright. I guess that would make sense as the battery box and fuel tank are lower than the drivetrain, making whatever it would take to it the exhaust pretty extreme.

jeott

I think a flapper on top would be the simplest solution, but I would combine it with drilling a hole at the lowest spot. But from looking at the pics, the exhaust is the least of your problems. In Pic #3, it looks like there is zero room for suspension movement. Once the tire contacts the fender, something is gonna give- most likely bend the fender and tear up the tire.

Jim

I appreciate the comments and concerns. As for suspension travel, I have very little experience with these heavy duty setups. But measuring tire to fender and bumpstop to frame, it doesn't look too bad...
I drove it from Augusta, GA to Portsmouth, VA without a problem. I'm not going rock climbing with it. Home Depot is only 10 minutes away. My Outer Banks driving is very slow. But time will tell (if I get this fuel leak fixed soon).
...And I like it low and wide....

Attachments

Csm Davis

great pics but I would still watch the bumps that bumb stop will go to half height with ease which will be 1-2 inches past your fender and thats on level ground, I would like to know if it makes contact when u go across a ditch on an angle.

snakeater

gentlemen.......for reference that is the duece that I ( with the help of friends) bobbed. The chopped exhaust was a quick fix to a problem and never meant to stay that way. Regarding the tires hitting the fenders that is hog wash. I personally had it in and out of several creekbeds and bad areas with no problem whatsoever. Also dang near rolled it jumping hills that were four feet high. No rub ever. Does however need power steering or assist in a bad way. Sitting still it's like arm wrestling Hulk Hogan to turn it. I thought I recognized the camo, as applied by my wife. Snakeater

snakeater

I am also about to start on a 53 m-211 and I will most likely bob it as well. However 52's are not on the agenda. 48's are going to be the tire of choice, as well as upgrading the old 302 gasser to a 12 valve cummins. Get some pics of the truck on here in a few days for your viewing pleasure.

GoHot229

While I'm not a fan of 'wrap' per~se, It has its uses, which I'd redily use it on. Did perchance you notice any silencing effects on the exhaust from bare pipes? Still a nice looking Bobber. The camo is something else, but again I like it, and I'm a purist, go figure? But back to the exhaust... I'm wondering if that in tandem with the Napa Muffler would gain additional silencing rather than bare pipe?

jeott

gentlemen.......for reference that is the duece that I ( with the help of friends) bobbed. The chopped exhaust was a quick fix to a problem and never meant to stay that way. Regarding the tires hitting the fenders that is hog wash. I personally had it in and out of several creekbeds and bad areas with no problem whatsoever. Also dang near rolled it jumping hills that were four feet high. No rub ever. Does however need power steering or assist in a bad way. Sitting still it's like arm wrestling Hulk Hogan to turn it. I thought I recognized the camo, as applied by my wife. Snakeater
Power steering is next on my list. I was wondering who on here built this thing. You did a great job with it. I love it and so does everyone I talk to.
I hope you like what I did to the exhaust. I thought it would go with the look.
The wrap was for looks and to keep hands from getting burnt. The truck's exhaust volume is better (I think) because it exits much higher. It was never too loud. Is that even possible?

Attachments

snakeater

Jeott I am officially nominating you for the Iron Ass award if you drove that beast 13 hours home. You are now my new hero. The camo job that everyone has mixed opinions of is courtesy of my wife. I tiger striped it black and she said it wasn't enough "color", so there you go. she took the spray cans away and the result is before you. My intention was to re-route the exhaust under the truck, I think they look cleaner without the stack. The possibility of me getting it into chest deep water was a never. I agree with the power steering, but it's not horrible once you get used to it and get going a little. Pay no attention to the tire rub naysayers. I just don't think it will happen. I am embarking on a 53 duece this week and plan to make it just as sweet as this one. Good luck with the beast and run over a tree or two for me. Snakeater

zout

Hate to add insult to injury here - But Wreckerman is right - appears really cobbled up on appearance.
With some 3.5 in pipe - metal chop saw & a body shop small mig you could have that really trimmed out nice and a lot cleaner - but eh it is your truck and you did post pics for looking at and hope your open to suggestions. It is not a slam on on ability nor your done work - we just know it could be more solid and professional appearing. For what you spent in header wrap would have bought the 12 pack for me to do it !!