• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New starter question

llong66

Hello all, a while back, I had posted a cpl of questions regarding starter issues I was having. I had planned on biting the bullet and getting a new AC through Hillbilly Wizard. I have had some financial issues and have had to hold off on the purchase as with the starter, a new GR bracket and shipping I was looking at close to $300. Today I was looking up some things on line and found a 24v GR starter for much cheaper. It is by Rare Electrical. My question is, has anyone ever dealt with them, know someone who has, or know anything about their product? I don't want to be replacing a starter a year down the road if their stuff is no better than typical chicom stuff!
Any advise or knowledge on their stuff would really be appreciated!
Thanks much!

Greg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having the original starter rebuilt is always the best option if you still have it.
I bought one of their alternators and sent it back because it wasn't what was advertised. (China)

Recommend some more searching online.
Hillbilly is way overpriced on that starter.

Its been a while, but my spare starter I bought is identical to that one and almost $100 cheaper.
Would have to look where I bought it. Was online.

Keep searching

Amazon has the best prices on ACDELCO starter bolts.
Remember their a one time use item.

Chief_919

Hello all, a while back, I had posted a cpl of questions regarding starter issues I was having. I had planned on biting the bullet and getting a new AC through Hillbilly Wizard. I have had some financial issues and have had to hold off on the purchase as with the starter, a new GR bracket and shipping I was looking at close to $300. Today I was looking up some things on line and found a 24v GR starter for much cheaper. It is by Rare Electrical. My question is, has anyone ever dealt with them, know someone who has, or know anything about their product? I don't want to be replacing a starter a year down the road if their stuff is no better than typical chicom stuff!
Any advise or knowledge on their stuff would really be appreciated!
Thanks much!

Greg
Is this the one you are looking at?

It is Chinese. The quality is not what an AC one is, but they do work. My experience is they either fail really quick, within a few weeks, or they last long term, I have seen used or used myself about 2 dozen and I saw 2 fail, both failed within the first month of use.

If you buy one buy it through Amazon and not eBay, even if it is a few more dollars. Amazon will take it back no questions asked in the first 30 days, so if it does fail in that first few weeks you can easily return it with no hassles.

Don't forget the gear reduction style brace.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't mind me jumping in on this conversation, but my starter is nearing it's end so this is interesting to me too. About a month and a half ago it wouldn't work, gave it some taps with a wrench and it works again... makes noise... and sure to be completely dead soon.

Stay with ACDELCO on starters and alternators both whether remanufactured or new. You will be glad you did!
When I look at Rock Auto at ACDELCO starters there's a new one for €144 and a remanufactured one for €327. That's a big difference! What justifies this difference?

llong66

I have looked, even the various places the AC site sends you to just have the chicom junk. Other rhan the stealership, whos price is to crazy to post, Hillbilly Wizard is the only place I can find AC starters. Does anyone know of a place with AC, Dd, or Gr, new or rebuilt?
Thanks!
Greg

snowtrac nome

I will have to look I think I have a rebuilt 24 volt starter I used several gear reduction units in new jersy don't know the source of supply but they seemed to work well

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your not looking very hard.
Search is your friend.

Found several starter supply houses that have them.
One as expensive as hillbilly.
Rest of them cheaper.

You could always remove one off a junk yard truck and have it rebuilt if you can't find what your looking for.

Chief_919

Your not looking very hard.
Search is your friend.

Found several starter supply houses that have them.
One as expensive as hillbilly.
Rest of them cheaper.

You could always remove one off a junk yard truck and have it rebuilt if you can't find what your looking for.
For a 12v one, yes. For a 24v one fining a gear reduction 24v in a junkyard is going to be pretty damm hard,,,

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents. Hillbilly's price of $225 is pretty reasonable since it INCLUDES the starter (doesn't need a core). Why not get yours rebuilt. Wouldn't even think of using the Chicom starters, not worth the effort. Also use NEW starter bolts, GM (easy to find) and torque properly.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use the newer starter DO NOT forget to upgrade the starter relay to a heavier one , GM had a service info on this and is here on the forum.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a 12v one, yes. For a 24v one fining a gear reduction 24v in a junkyard is going to be pretty damm hard,,,
Of course I'm talking about 24v.
12v are a dime a dozen and can be found in your sleep.
The good starter shops have 24v starters for these. I found several like I already mentioned with not a lot of effort.

Was also referring to a cucv junktruck or junk yard. Not civy

Several members here have their own and might chime in about selling a starter for rebuilding.

MtNgranek

I replaced my starter a few months ago. I was unable to get the original rebuilt as one of the last owners put in a 12v starter. I looked all over and decided on this starter.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...1998454_-1_803&keyword=1998454#itemDetailTab_
It was mentioned on the CUCV Wiki page on this site, so I figured that it was ok. It seems to be a good starter, but I can only give a few months worth of opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks