• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Steel Soldiers Admin/Webmaster!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am coming to the realization that this thread was mis-named from the git-go.......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAROcbv4gco[/media]​

(BTW: check out the 48-Star American Flag :shock:)

Our <APPLAUSE> for "The Man Of Steel(Soldiers)"

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, but I'm no superman. Just doing what I can to help.

Sir:
If the shoe fits, I'd suggest that you wear it.
You have come out of the starting blocks as though you ARE Superman, just leaping into the air, dodging speeding bullets, and looking through the problems with x-ray vision.
THANK YOU for applying your talents toward the betterment of the SS website.
[thumbzup]:driver:

phil2968

nopics
I wish you could do something about this smiley. Anytime it shows up it always causes my screen to be wider than my display. In this post I can't see the right edge of my post box and my typing. I hate it. I hate having to adjust my screen to see the last line of a posting because this smiley shows up in the list.
I do most of my looking and posting from this little Acer Aspire One notebook. I do some from the wifes I-pad and some from my Droid while at work. Seems like this smiley is always showing up. I don't know if it does this to anyone else but it does it to me. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Great work on the site! Thanks for your help.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
nopics
I wish you could do something about this smiley. Anytime it shows up it always causes my screen to be wider than my display. In this post I can't see the right edge of my post box and my typing. I hate it. I hate having to adjust my screen to see the last line of a posting because this smiley shows up in the list.
I do most of my looking and posting from this little Acer Aspire One notebook. I do some from the wifes I-pad and some from my Droid while at work. Seems like this smiley is always showing up. I don't know if it does this to anyone else but it does it to me. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Great work on the site! Thanks for your help.
If it's a small netbook I can understand the grief it causes. I've bumped it to display last in the smilies so the reply window should be shrunk down now. It is on my machine at least. Please let me know if that helped.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy:
What do you think of an S.O.S. Forum where Members who need help during travels or recoveries could post an SOS Message or MAYDAY Call which could automatically generate an email to all SSers within say a 150 mile radius. As it is, it's hit and miss as to whether the nearest folks will even see a new distress thread.
Like a 9-1-1 call, such a forum would be for REAL EMERGENCIES & RESPONSE ONLY and NOT for general discussion.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
John

Last edited:

3dAngus

Patracy:
What do you think of an S.O.S. Forum where Members who need help during travels or recoveries could post an SOS Message which could automatically generate an email to all SSers within say a 150 mile radius. As it is, it's hit and miss as to whether the nearest folks will even see a new distress thread.
Lke a 9-1-1 call, such a forum would be for REAL EMERGENCIES & RESPONSE ONLY and NOT for general discussion.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
John
John,

That's one of the best new ideas I've heard yet. I hope it is something that can be do-a-ble and manageable. Good thinking!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It would be complex to manage the logistics. I'm not sure if there's an algorithm out there I could use to "home in" on a 150 mile radius. Maybe if zips were a required field. But again, who's to say someone wouldn't put 00000 in there or another zip. There's simply too many variables to make it work reliably in my view.

What I can say will happen is chapter forums. I had offered this up to Chris at the start. I'd say at least in regions. Then present "chapter presidents" whom will be voted on by the members of the region. The forum could have a sticky with a list of members. Perhaps that could be used to send out an SOS by the member that needs help.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to be cleaning up the member list as well? Like if they have zero posts and haven't logged in during the last two years delete them. Just an idea.

Another is to disable a member from logging in that does not have their location correct according to the rules. That would also go a long way to helping with John's idea about the new SOS forum.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be complex to manage the logistics. I'm not sure if there's an algorithm out there I could use to "home in" on a 150 mile radius. Maybe if zips were a required field. But again, who's to say someone wouldn't put 00000 in there or another zip. There's simply too many variables to make it work reliably in my view.

What I can say will happen is chapter forums. I had offered this up to Chris at the start. I'd say at least in regions. Then present "chapter presidents" whom will be voted on by the members of the region. The forum could have a sticky with a list of members. Perhaps that could be used to send out an SOS by the member that needs help.
I understand the complexities of the proposal, but finding the "how" is way beyond my skill level.

The first challenge I saw was the base-point would seldom, if ever, be the distressed member's LZ, but would be some random mobile location distant from his own resources. <ugh>

I LIKE the idea of regional Points-of-Contact (re: the West Texas Detachment in my sig.line) with a "broadcast" to sub-subscribers based on that sort of "grid-system". The geographic sizes of those regions would in themselves vary greatly based on some Member-Density factor... Here is West Texas, we are few and far between as compaired to the east coast (especially Geogria/Alabammer, etc). Where in some regions a 50 mile radius would get a significant response, out here 250 miles might get a dozen or so contacts. This is looking like a close cousin to a Member Map based system. 2cents

Yet again, I have ideas, but NO KNOWLEDGE of how to wave a magic wand and make it happen.

Thanks for listening.

John

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to be cleaning up the member list as well? Like if they have zero posts and haven't logged in during the last two years delete them. Just an idea.

Another is to disable a member from logging in that does not have their location correct according to the rules. That would also go a long way to helping with John's idea about the new SOS forum.
Yes, a pruning is needed.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an idea I posted as a suggestion a while back, concerning New Posts. Currently, after a certain number of new posts, all of the new posts are cleared out. Is it possible to make it so that a running tally of the newest 100 (or some other number) posts are listed under New Posts, with the oldest dropping off as new posts are added? Just a thought.

onegmjack

On the members section,when I first checked it out,I could have swore you could pull up all the members by state they lived in,but then I never seen that again.Maybe in the members section they could be away to pull up member in a certain state or location,could give a option to op out for the one who don't want to list their location
But everone location is already in their avatar.Would make it eazy to find members close to you.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I can purge inactive users, but that will be a call made by Chris.

I can make location a required field for profiles, but again, I can't ensure it's correct. There's no means of verifying what a user put in place. Short of manually investigating every user.

I understand the complexities of the proposal, but finding the "how" is way beyond my skill level.

The first challenge I saw was the base-point would seldom, if ever, be the distressed member's LZ, but would be some random mobile location distant from his own resources. <ugh>

I LIKE the idea of regional Points-of-Contact (re: the West Texas Detachment in my sig.line) with a "broadcast" to sub-subscribers based on that sort of "grid-system". The geographic sizes of those regions would in themselves vary greatly based on some Member-Density factor... Here is West Texas, we are few and far between as compaired to the east coast (especially Geogria/Alabammer, etc). Where in some regions a 50 mile radius would get a significant response, out here 250 miles might get a dozen or so contacts. This is looking like a close cousin to a Member Map based system. 2cents

Yet again, I have ideas, but NO KNOWLEDGE of how to wave a magic wand and make it happen.

Thanks for listening.

John
We can explore this further, but an automated system will be complex to say the least, and I would bet my years salary it couldn't be made foolproof/100% reliable. What would be more reliable is the chapter idea where we elect presidents that we can ensure they carry the torch to help the ones in need.

I had an idea I posted as a suggestion a while back, concerning New Posts. Currently, after a certain number of new posts, all of the new posts are cleared out. Is it possible to make it so that a running tally of the newest 100 (or some other number) posts are listed under New Posts, with the oldest dropping off as new posts are added? Just a thought.
The get new posts query already has a cut off point. If my memory serves, it's coded at 100 or 200 posts. If you haven't logged in in a few days, it's easy to hit that cap. Once a users account has read a post and meets a timed criteria, it drops off the next new post query to the database. It's a tightwire to walk though. I could increase the max amount of posts to return for the query. But that will increase load. The search.php?do=getnew query is the MOST used on the site. Often hit at the same time by multiple users. What I'd suggest is the "Today's post" link. That will return today's new posts. It's under the quick links tab at the top.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/search.php?do=getdaily

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks